SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Samsung Note9 users, or Galaxy S9+?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Samsung Note9 users, or Galaxy S9+? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
Looking at new Android phones, must have SDCard slot and Headphone Jack.

These two look most interesting in that regard, and I'm leaning toward the Note 9.

Just looking for feedback from satisfied or dissatisfied owners.

Thanks.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI, S10 is just around the corner and will bring, according to the tech rumors, fingerprint on display (FOD), tripple rear camera lenses, Snapdragon 855 with 7 nm process, etc. This is the Galaxy S series 10th anniversary and from reports, they're taking off all the stops.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, I have the S9, not the plus, but I imagine it must be fairly similar besides the size. The phone has been perfect. I couldn't be happier with it. I also had the same conditions you did, sd card and headphone jack.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
S9+ here.
Came from a Note5, forced into an upgrade when the charging port went out on the Note.

No complaints here.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you haven't owned a Samsung phone before, make sure the incredibly heavy Samsung 'skin' over Android is something you can live with. I will never again own a Samsung product after owning a phone for the past two years running virgin Android. And its nice to receive updates of Android shortly after they become available instead of having to wait months if not years (or not at all) for Android updates to my old Samsung phone.

The S9 and Note 9 are awesome hardware. Unfortunately Samsung's vision of what Android should be nixes them for me.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
If you haven't owned a Samsung phone before, make sure the incredibly heavy Samsung 'skin' over Android is something you can live with. I will never again own a Samsung product after owning a phone for the past two years running virgin Android. And its nice to receive updates of Android shortly after they become available instead of having to wait months if not years (or not at all) for Android updates to my old Samsung phone.

The S9 and Note 9 are awesome hardware. Unfortunately Samsung's vision of what Android should be nixes them for me.

I'm planning to buy a factory Unlocked one, which at least nixes the extra helping of bloatware the Carrier adds on. I'm wondering if you've ever looked into those and if it changed your opinion at all? Not as pure as pure Android, for sure, but maybe workable...

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
3 MONTHS into S9+, still learning how to pilot the beast.

Best digital camera I've ever had including dedicated pocket style Canons & Nikons.

Phone tricks are coming to me slowly, as other apps I barely know exist let alone use much.

Many things are pretty intuitive, & I'm enjoying trying to figure them out rather than "Help me Bixby" etc.

Even with careful power management I need recharge couple times/day to keep above 35%. Rarely watch clips & never movies, have been unable to find where it all goes.

Mostly satisfied, first step up from first iPhone5.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

I'm planning to buy a factory Unlocked one, which at least nixes the extra helping of bloatware the Carrier adds on. I'm wondering if you've ever looked into those and if it changed your opinion at all? Not as pure as pure Android, for sure, but maybe workable...
After owning and using a phone every day with virgin Android, I'll never own anything else. A lot of companies tinker with Android to make it their own, but Samsung's mods are so obtrusive and annoying (personal opinion) I'd actively avoid ever owning another one of their phones.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Which phone are you talking about, the Pixel?

quote:
quote:
quote:

After owning and using a phone every day with virgin Android, I'll never own anything else. A lot of companies tinker with Android to make it their own, but Samsung's mods are so obtrusive and annoying (personal opinion) I'd actively avoid ever owning another one of their phones.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
3 MONTHS into S9+...

Best digital camera I've ever had including dedicated pocket style Canons & Nikons.

Phone tricks are coming to me slowly, as other apps I barely know existEven with careful power management I need recharge couple times/day to keep above 35%. Rarely watch clips & never movies, have been unable to find where it all goes

That's concerning.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Which phone are you talking about, the Pixel?
I carry a OnePlus 3t phone. Though OnePlus does add OxygenOS to Android, its more a handful of embedded utility features the owner can use or not use at their discretion. Its also part of the reason OnePlus is right behind the Pixel phone in getting updates. My two plus year old phone is running current Android Oreo with an update to Android Pie only a few weeks away.

posted Hide Post
I just got my Galaxy 9 plus and am currently setting it up. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
3 MONTHS into S9+, still learning how to pilot the beast.

Phone tricks are coming to me slowly, as other apps I barely know exist let alone use much.

Many things are pretty intuitive, & I'm enjoying trying to figure them out rather than "Help me Bixby" etc.

Even with careful power management I need recharge couple times/day to keep above 35%. Rarely watch clips & never movies, have been unable to find where it all goes.

Mostly satisfied, first step up from first iPhone5.

If you are not using it, you might have bluetooth turned on as this takes a lot of power as it is always searching, etc. If not being used, turn it OFF. Also turn off programs that are always staying on the internet to give you live feed and updates like email, facebook, etc. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My wife just went to the Note9 from a S7 a week ago and is very happy with it. If you have specific questions I can ask her for you.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the Note 9 on Wednesday, I dropped my pixel 2xl and cracked the screen. I was going to go right back but figured I would try the Note 9 I had Samsung previous to my pixel 2xl.

The phone runs very well no issues so far, setup and migration was fairly easy being android. I use my phone alot I for work a lot of emails and mobile web surfing. Battery actually is better than any other smart phone I have recently had. I have used the s pen a couple of times not really my thing but I can see where it can be useful.

That being said coming from the pixel which was running stock android it takes a little getting used to even though it's still android. I have never cared much for any of the Samsung apps nothing really stood out that stock android could not do. It is not a deal killer but takes a little adjustment.

Overall I am happy with the note 9. My only real con would be the Samsung skin on android. Battery life, screen, speed, headphone Jack, and sd card slot out weigh the lack of stock android.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Central TX | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by harvey976g:
I got the Note 9 on Wednesday, I dropped my pixel 2xl and cracked the screen. I was going to go right back but figured I would try the Note 9 I had Samsung previous to my pixel 2xl.

The phone runs very well no issues so far, setup and migration was fairly easy being android. I use my phone alot I for work a lot of emails and mobile web surfing. Battery actually is better than any other smart phone I have recently had. I have used the s pen a couple of times not really my thing but I can see where it can be useful.

That being said coming from the pixel which was running stock android it takes a little getting used to even though it's still android. I have never cared much for any of the Samsung apps nothing really stood out that stock android could not do. It is not a deal killer but takes a little adjustment.

Overall I am happy with the note 9. My only real con would be the Samsung skin on android. Battery life, screen, speed, headphone Jack, and sd card slot out weigh the lack of stock android.

This. Using a Note 9 for about a month, and it does everything my tablet does, but better. Fantastic battery life, superb screen and camera, great speed and responsiveness. I actually like the Samsung overlay, and it syncs with my Galaxy so email and calendars are always current. The S pen can be configured and can even serve as a remote camera control. No negatives other than the minor one of size - it's larger and has a more square profile than my previous S8, and bulks up in my Otterbox case, but definitely worth the tradeoff.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
3 MONTHS into S9+...

Phone tricks are coming to me slowly, as other apps I barely know existEven with careful power management I need recharge couple times/day to keep above 35%. Rarely watch clips & never movies, have been unable to find where it all goes

That's concerning.

Just about everything turned on with mine & no power issues here.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Calculating Cooling
Capacity In Hell
Picture of sig239srt
posted Hide Post
I just got the Note9 512GB on Wednesday. Its already at 56GB with the operating system, apps and very little number of pictures. Glad I didn't go with the 128GB phone option. With a 12 MP camera the storage will fill up fast. I've been through many Samsung Galaxy phones and this Note9 is the best one ever in every way. I had a Palm Pilot 2000 to 2005, so having a stylus again makes working with the phone faster and easier. The amount of customization options in a Note9 is incredible. It's much faster, and only slightly larger than my S7 edge. It shows that it has a large battery in it because it's lasting a long time even with it in Performance mode. I fully recommend the Note9 to anyone. I have a 256 micro SD in it. I always use LK (lighting knight) premium tempered glass protectors and Incipio DualPro cases with all our phones. Good luck with your decision.

Posts: 2625 | Location: AZ | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

That Note 9 seems like the one, but I'll go handle one this coming week and make sure it isn't too big. I'm coming off an HTC M8. I'm not sure I want a Phablet/Phone. Maybe.

Calculating Cooling
Capacity In Hell
Picture of sig239srt
posted Hide Post
Try this website for comparison options. See menu for many options.

https://www.phonearena.com

Forget to mention the dual speakers sure makes this phone a major up grade.

Posts: 2625 | Location: AZ | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post