SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hand tool selection
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Hand tool selection Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted
I’m looking to add some tools to a maintenance box at the shop (machine not auto) and looking for some suggestions. These are for machine maintenance and various assembly tasks. I’ll most likely retire some of the current tools to the home garage. Right now the shop is a mixture of:

Sockets/ratchets/etc
- older SK
- older Danaher days Craftsman
- a few Wright pcs

Pliers/wire tools
- Klein
- Channellock

Screwdrivers/Torx
- Wiha
- Wera
- Klein
- PB Swiss

Wrenches
- SK
- Craftsman
- Proto

My biggest needs are for sockets/ratchets, and wrenches. I like the SK stuff but it’s been a long time since I’ve bought any and concerned if quality is the same. My limited experience with Wright has been good and leaning to go with them instead. Snap On and Matco trucks run through the Industrial park so they are an option also. My experience with Snap On in the past has been good, especially ratchets but have heard great things about Wright for sockets, ratchets, and wrenches.

Anyone have any comparisons between Wright ratchets and Snap On?

Im fine with staying with my current selection of screwdrivers and torx unless someone has experience saying Snap On is that much better than Wiha and PB Swiss.

I like to support Channellock but am itching to try some of the Wiha offerings.

What say the hive? Who do you like for the various tools listed?

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Report This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You should add 'Knipex' to you Pliers list! Wink

Other than that omission, you've got a solid list there.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8870 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Report This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at www.toolguyd.com for information on this kind of stuff lately.

I don't have a lot of experience with different brands of sockets and wrenches, so I can't really offer any thoughts there.

I will say that I don't see how anyone can possibly make a better screwdriver than the PB Swiss SwissGrip screwdrivers. They are awesome. I haven't used Snap On screwdrivers, but I've used Klein, Wiha, Wera, etc., and to me, the PB Swiss screwdrivers beat them all easily. Perfect tips, perfect handle shape/texture/grippiness. The slotted screwdrivers have tips that are ground parallel and hardened instead of the stupid taper shape that cams out and shreds screw heads.

They make "rainbow" sets that have handle sizes that increase with the blade size (the smallest size has a small handle, each time the blade size gets bigger the handle does, too) and the handle colors fade across a color spectrum. It makes it really easy to grab the next size up or down without really looking. They also have a large graphic indicating blade type on the butt of the handle.

They make "rainbow" hex key sets that are also awesome.

nhracecraft mentioned Knipex, their "pliers wrench" tool is fantastic, and their other pliers, wire tools, etc., are also very high quality.

I haven't tried them yet but NWS are supposed to be similarly high quality German pliers.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I did leave off Knipex. Some of their stuff may need to be tried.

I agree on the PB Swiss. Those and the extra heavy duty versioned Wihas are good stuff.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, My home workshop now holds the Snap On wrenches, sockets, ratchets and screwdrivers that I bought 43 years ago when I started as an industrial maintenance mechanic. Wore a couple out and some of the screwdriver handles have had to be replaced but one of the best investments I made in tools. Mac are also good as are Klein. Pay the extra money if you are still young enough to have quite a few years of employment ahead. You may temporarily regret the price but not the quality.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2889 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have used everyone your list, both with personal tools and "issued" tools. The only name I insist on when it comes to ratchets is Snap On. That is all I personally use as I have broken about every brand known to man at the most in-oppertune time EXCEPT them. Do they break, yes. But Snap On ratchets have been through the ringer with me and they kept on cranking.

As for all other hand tools, for home use? Whatever you can afford. I have used KD (kill 'ya dead), SK (slip'n kill ya), Craftsman, MAC, Cornwall, Proto, and everything in between.

I just want to marry on Snap On ratchets.

posted Hide Post
Sockets, SK/Craftsmen/Carlyle
Ratchets, Snap-On/Carlyle/Gearwrench

Pliers, Klien/Knipex

Screwdrivers, Klien

Wrenches, Gearwrench/SK/Carlyle/Craftsmen

Specialty, Snap-On/Mac/KD

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Pliers, Klien/Knipex

Screwdrivers, Klien

I haven't had good luck with Gear Wrenches. I use them for work but maybe only once every 2 weeks and it seems every 6 months I have to warranty 2 out.

For rachets, you can't go wrong with Snap on or Mac. Both are great. Craftsman and Kobalt are pretty decent for consumer use, often use and you'll wear them out in a few years

posted Hide Post
You've got some good quality brands listed as it is.

Snap-on, mostly made in the US, is good, chiefly for the ability to turn a defective tool in at the truck for a replacement; if that doesn't matter then it's high priced for what it is. Snap-on tools can be had for much better prices off ebay and other, rather than the truck, if that matters. I use a lot of snap-on.

I have heard others say that there are times when a snap-on socket will get into a tight space when others can't. I've experienced this on numerous occasions, and it's one of the benefits of those tools.

Knipex makes good tools; some have referred to their "pliers," but I think they're specifically referring to the plier-wrench line. Knipex makes five sizes. They are unserrated jaws that grip tightly and squarely, without a tendency to round-off. I use them a lot on aluminum hydraulic fittings, and on some european older aircraft with different types and sizes of fittings (shorts, etc).

Mac tools are largely made in China and Taiwan. I have a number of them; most are good; same thing as snap-on so far as the truck. They're pricy, but the value in the workplace is the truck that stops by each week.

Many of the gearwrench tools are good. Crescent, Irwin, and others, are offering long-reach dual-pivoting pliers and wire cutters which are excellent for getting into tight spaces.

SK tools are good.

I do own a number of Craftsman tools; they're generally good for most things, though not on the same left of quality or support that snap-on is, but also not at the same price point, either.

I'm a user of ratcheting screwdrivers a lot; I prefer snap-on for those. I also prefer fixed shaft screwdrivers for certain applications, and I largely use snap-on for those, as well.

Both Mac and snap-on make some good shock-free and deadblow hammers which hold up well and have lifetime warranties.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Another quality brand of wrenches to consider is Armstrong.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
After a ton of investigation and exploration, a year or so ago I bought a Craftsman Pro socket set. Made in USA and all that.

Big mistake.

The sockets are... fine. Nothing special. The ratchets are just terrible, and that is the most charitable description I can come up with.

I still would love a really nice socket set, in US and metric sizes.

ETA: Do we have a forum-approved Snap-On vendor that we use? Seems like we should. We have everything else here!

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I am partial to Snap On (anything), and then MAC, US Craftsman, Matco, SK. Specialty stuff in whoever makes what is needed. Years back I had to have 3 sets of tools, the garage set (full), the race trailer set (full) and the practice day set (stuff you may need for minor work/adjustments). Now I have way too many tools, but like guns I can't seem to sell them.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeterGV:

ETA: Do we have a forum-approved Snap-On vendor that we use? Seems like we should. We have everything else here!

You can order stuff from their website. I get to see my dealer weekly but if he doesn't have what I want, he checks with the other local dealers or orders it for me.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Pliers, Klien/Knipex

Screwdrivers, Klien

I haven't had good luck with Gear Wrenches. I use them for work but maybe only once every 2 weeks and it seems every 6 months I have to warranty 2 out.

I haven't had any luck with reading ANY quality information from your posts. I use their wrenches daily and you warranty out more in 6 months then I have in over 10 years.

posted Hide Post
You might look into DeWalt. They have a nice ratchet/socket kit with SAE/Metric in all three sizes (1/4, 3/8, 1/2). I have no experience with their sockets, but the kit is very impressive with a wide range of sizes.

192 pc for 149.99
https://www.farmandfleet.com/p...6hEi02AaAkKvEALw_wcB

247 pc for 159.99
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-...s-Tool/dp/B0767PMCD8

posted Hide Post
Carlysle from Napa is popular with farmers & heavy truck mechanics locally. Warranty is great too.
If Snap on is on your list, maybe look into JH Williams. They are the Snap-on industrial brand. I have some of their combination wrenches I really like. They have a version of "flank drive" also. And they are generally less spendy. Sockets & wrenches. Ratchets are the old 36 tooth design, so probably not what u r looking for. Would be good for 1/2" drive though.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2736 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Pliers, Klien/Knipex

Screwdrivers, Klien

I haven't had any luck with reading ANY quality information from your posts. I use their wrenches daily and you warranty out more in 6 months then I have in over 10 years.

Well, I guess your experiences are different than mine. Would you like me to mail you the 2 I have now to warranty them out that I have that are currently broken so you can see for yourself and then you can send them back to me or what? Usually what happens on ALL of them is the ratchet mechanism gets stripped on them. So they free spool. Mine are the fixed shaft (no swivel head or anything) ones with the reversible lever. I don't even use them that much......take a couple of nuts/bolts off and put a couple on, here and there, every week or two or so......The housings on them are also a little too wide to get into tighter spots half of the time. I never have issues with any of my other tools, ever. Once a year a stripped phillips screw driver, stripped 1/4" Craftsman ratchet, not much else......that's about the extent of it.

posted Hide Post
My personal likes/dislikes off the top of my head.

Snap On ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers (fixed and ratcheting), and wrenches (fixed and ratcheting).

Armstrong ratchets.

SK ratchets and sockets (at least the older ones).

Craftsman sockets (pre-laser marked), US made box and combination wrenches.

Mac sockets.

Proto ratchets and impact sockets.

Dislikes:

Craftsman ratchets made in the last 40 years or so.

Cornwell chrome sockets.

I don't have any particular favorite pliers. If I didn't have 30+ pairs already, I would look at Knipex though.

My limited experience with Whia has been good. No experience with PB Swiss.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Report This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
For screwdrivers check out Pratt-Read, Great quality and USA made.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Get a small and large rubber strap wrenches. I've used them quite often with stuff that I don't want to mar with channel grips or metal wrenches.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post