SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying New Laptop, have questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying New Laptop, have questions Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted
I will be using the laptop mostly for Video editing on photoshop for videos up to a 30mins to an hour long. Transferred from my Samsung S7 Edge cell phone.

As I understand it for video editing I am wanting a quad core processor, 1080p graphics, and as much RAM as I can get. Brands I would like to stick too are ASUS or Dell. Leaning towards ASUS cause all my previous stuff has been them plus they are less expensive as I am trying to stay under $500.

Questions I have are:
1. HDD vs SSD? Most are offering 1 terabyte of HDD or 256 SSD, I know SSD is faster but with 1TB of HDD make up for the loss of it being physical memory?

2. THIS This seems to be somewhat what I am looking for, am I missing something?

3. does more than 256 ssd ram exist on a laptop? Back in the day when I built PCs for gaming it seemed like you could jam a lot in em.

Please and thank you

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You can get a TB ssd or 2 but the drive itself may cost 500 or more.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You want a fast SSD for the files you are immediately working with, but large SSDs are expensive. You could transfer your working files off of your SSD to a conventional platter drive, where space is much cheaper.

Some laptops have a discrete video card with separate video ram. This can speed up processing time for some complicated tasks such as rendering special effects.

Some laptops can accommodate two drives, which I would consider ideal. Here's an example of one that doesn't come with two drives, but has an empty space for an SSD in a special form factor called M.2.

https://www.microsoftstore.com.../productID.333475500

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
You want a fast SSD for the files you are immediately working with, but large SSDs are expensive. You could transfer your working files off of your SSD to a conventional platter drive, where space is much cheaper.

Some laptops have a discrete video card with separate video ram. This can speed up processing time for some complicated tasks such as rendering special effects.

Some laptops can accommodate two drives, which I would consider ideal. Here's an example of one that doesn't come with two drives, but has an empty space for an SSD in a special form factor called M.2.

Alternatively, you can just use a laptop with an SSD and transfer the files you are done working with to an external USB drive. You can get a 1TB USB 3.0 drive for like $60.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Alternatively, you can just use a laptop with an SSD and transfer the files you are done working with to an external USB drive. You can get a 1TB USB 3.0 drive for like $60.

I should have mentioned the completed files will be posted online via social media/youtube so the only reason theyd go back to the phone would be for custom snapchat vids which will be few and far between.

Edit: thanks for the posts. I just realized i was confusing ssd with RAM not hard drive space. I was thinking about it like the old sdram... so #1 and 3 have been answered. So biggest concern is where to store the videos once completed.... i should be able to make a decision on that. Thanks guys.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post