SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicle Electrical Help Needed. UPDATE On Page 2; Problem(s) Solved.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicle Electrical Help Needed. UPDATE On Page 2; Problem(s) Solved. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by gunnutty:
Checked with a friend of mine and he said there is a ground wire on the back of the engine block that will get loose or frayed. It will cause all kinds of weird lights on the dash and can shut the engine down. He said it is hard to see on the passenger side of the block at the very back.

This was my first thought, ground issues.

Yes, major ground issue is a strong candidate, so is the positive battery cable on either the battery or starter.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
The telltale is a light on the dash that either says security or has a lock/car emblem or key looking emblem. I bet there's more types than I can think of atm, it means the pcm thinks the car is being stolen and will not let the engine run. It starts up every time but only runs for 2 seconds is a dead giveaway. Ive replaced 100s and 100s of ignition cylinders and passlock modules on gm trucks vans and cars. A cheap code reader may pull a code off the pcm that will confirm this. Or try the 30 minute procedure i posted, sometimes that will allow you to start the vehicle a few times before the affected part acts up again.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
The telltale is a light on the dash that either says security or has a lock/car emblem or key looking emblem. I bet there's more types than I can think of atm, it means the pcm thinks the car is being stolen and will not let the engine run. It starts up every time but only runs for 2 seconds is a dead giveaway. Ive replaced 100s and 100s of ignition cylinders and passlock modules on gm trucks vans and cars. A cheap code reader may pull a code off the pcm that will confirm this. Or try the 30 minute procedure i posted, sometimes that will allow you to start the vehicle a few times before the affected part acts up again.

You can bypass the system by cutting the two wires from the cylinder and adding a resistor.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Update: I just stopped by the maintenance shop. The shop owner called a locksmith to replace the ignition switch and reset the tumblers to work with the old keys.

We'll see if that does the job.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
I had an 02 Silverado that was twitchy.
Took it to the dealer and they found that the electrical home run, on the left of the parking brake, had wires that had been worn through by my use of the parking brake.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Problem(s) solved.

First, what it was not: There was never any SECURITY indication, not even sure if there is one on this year. Some people mentioned stepper motors re the gauges in the instrument cluster. Nope, this is a 2001, stepper motors did not appear until the 2003 model year.

Locksmith replaced the ignition switch, but that did not have anything to do with the problem. When he realized that, he said "you can have that at no charge. I'm not going to spend the time to take that bitch out."

OK, so what did the three problem manifestations (low reading on voltmeter, speedometer dropping to zero then coming back up, and engine refusing to start) all have in common, all cured by one simple thing?

The fuse box was a corroded mess. Removed all fuses, soaked it down with electrical contact cleaner, and put in all new fuses. Bingo! All problems solved except the low-reading voltmeter which was almost solved. The fuse holder for that circuit had sort of loose jaws that held the fuse. Tightening the jaws did the job.

I was sure as sure can be that it was no coincidence that three electrical problems showed up within a few days, and I was convinced that there was a single cure for everything; it just took some searching to identify the cause. Once found, the cure was simple.

Thank you, everyone who offered help.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it fixed. Things like that can drive you crazy.

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its flarider, if it's metal, exposed it's going to corrode..

Pick up some di-electric grease it goes on the contacts and ends of fuses and will stop that problem from happening again.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Caig Deoxit is absolutely the best electrical contact cleaner you can buy. I highly recommend it.

It's not cheap, and yes I spelled it right. Caig Deoxit

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time somebody has an electrical issue , people start posting about a " bad ground " . Doesn't matter whether it's a car or a house . Cool

Posts: 4050 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The fuse box was a corroded mess.

Thanks for posting the fix. It will go into my personal database, i.e., my head. Was it from water intrusion, or did rats get to it? Like the PCM, it is in a location vulnerable to both.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Thanks for posting the fix. It will go into my personal database, i.e., my head. Was it from water intrusion, or did rats get to it? Like the PCM, it is in a location vulnerable to both.
Just plain old corrosion. Probably not direct water intrusion, but this is, as HRK said above, Florida. Summers especially, are very humid. Combine that with a sixteen year old truck that sits outside and I was not at all surprised. I probably should have taken photos of the fuses instead of just tossing them.

I have had similar problems with radio / navigation equipment in airplanes. Quirky behavior, that is cured by spraying connector pins with contact cleaner.

If I had thought to look in the fuse box it would have saved me $350 and a lot of aggravation. Not all of that was shop charges, there is a fee for the tow truck included in that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

The problem with the fuse boxes on most 70s and 80s Ferrari's is so bad that there are more than a few companies that make replacement fuse boxes.

More common on the 308 series, but can occur on other cars.

I have a Mondial, and have a "rebuilt" (i.e. new wiring, the only think original is the plastic frame) fusebox ready to install... $1,000 for the fusebox... I have no idea what it will cost to install...

Congrats on solving your problem!!!

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
That's not where I would have immediately gone...but sure is down the line of things to check.

Thanks for posting. As others have stated, that's getting logged in the back of my head for the next time.

Thinking about florida, it makes sense. My saltwater boat had to have electrical components changed every 2-3 years, it just ate through them no matter which brand we tried. Poor design in the location.

Did you get any pictures?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Who was it that finally went to the fuse box?

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Thinking about florida, it makes sense. My saltwater boat had to have electrical components changed every 2-3 years, it just ate through them no matter which brand we tried. Poor design in the location.

Did you get any pictures?
Nope. No pictures. You've seen one corrosion, you've seen them all. Wink

Florida yes, salt water no. Orlando is in the center of the peninsula, not really near salt water. High humidity though.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Every time somebody has an electrical issue , people start posting about a " bad ground " . Doesn't matter whether it's a car or a house . Cool

Because it happens so often, that's why.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

The fuse box is inside the cab on the left wall just forward of the driver side door. About ankle height. Outboard of the parking brake pedal.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]The fuse box is inside the cab on the left wall just forward of the driver side door. About ankle height. Outboard of the parking brake pedal.[/QUOTE]

I had an intermittent fault with driver's door switch and driver's door airbag which I traced to door harness connector block which is in that same location.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post