SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A White House Counsel for the Ages
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A White House Counsel for the Ages Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
National Review
Carrie Severino

Today the White House confirmed that White House Counsel Don McGahn will be leaving his position shortly after the expected confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. His tenure has been momentous. Most visibly, following the confirmation of Neil Gorsuch and assuming the probability that Kavanaugh is confirmed, McGahn will have shepherded the selection and confirmation to the high court of two of the best qualified, committed constitutionalists on the federal bench—judges who recognize that the best way unelected judges can safeguard representative democracy is to interpret the Constitution according to the original public meaning of its text.

At least as remarkable has been that, even amid the difficult process of filling two Supreme Court vacancies, 59 other Article III judgeships have been filled to date. This number includes the successful confirmation of 26 circuit court judges, which already surpasses by four the previous record for a president’s first two years (22 under the first President Bush) for court of appeals confirmations—and we are still almost five months away from the two-year mark of the Trump administration. Equally important, these circuit judges have with unprecedented consistency been very high caliber nominees who share a commitment to originalism and textualism.

Collectively, whether looking at the Supreme Court specifically or at federal judgeships generally, no administration since the advent of modern constitutional debate has had a more impressive track record on judicial nominations than the Trump administration with Don McGahn’s stewardship. And consider that this occurred against the backdrop of a razor-thin Republican majority in the Senate, with Senate Democrats doing all they could to obstruct the process through the unprecedented abuse of cloture and blue slips.

McGahn has also helped to oversee President Trump’s much needed reining in of the administrative state. For years, the federal bureaucracy has been aggrandizing the power of its own unelected officials, too often acting like a virtual “fourth branch” of government and dealing a blow to the tripartite government our Constitution actually authorizes. Since last year, the administration has pursued a number of measures to curtail that trend, perhaps most prominently its efforts to roll back the notoriously profligate issuance of regulations by agencies, both through executive orders and by bringing to life the largely unused Congressional Review Act. Also significant: ending the use of court settlements and consent decrees to benefit third-party organizations not involved in litigation or to find back-door methods to impose nationwide rules; reclaiming accountability so that federal officials who underperform or engage in misconduct can more easily be removed; reducing inefficiency and increasing transparency in the relationship between labor unions and the civil service; and shifting the selection of administrative law judges from career bureaucrats to agency heads directly accountable to the president.

Increasing accountability to the chief executive and other elected officials means increasing accountability to the people. Appointing originalists and textualists to the federal bench bodes well for preserving the individual rights and government structure on which our freedom depends for protection. All of this is a victory in the making for the Constitution and the rule of law. Don McGahn can stand proud for his role in helping to bring it about.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
I speed read this article. Why is he leaving if doing Yeoman's work? It seems he needs to stay quite a bit longer.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
It’s not clear to me why he is leaving; but it is clear that he, together with Leonard Leo of the Federalist Society, have done a spectacular job of selection of nominees for the Federal courts. News today is that Schumer has agreed to voice votes on a whole bunch of Trump judicial nominees, in exchange of getting the Senate to go on recess.
I did hear McGahn speak to the Federalist Society on C-SPAN, and was very impressed.
It would be great if he were attorney general, or ran for a high elected office.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
It’s not clear to me why he is leaving; but it is clear that he, together with Leonard Leo of the Federalist Society, have done a spectacular job of selection of nominees for the Federal courts. News today is that Schumer has agreed to voice votes on a whole bunch of Trump judicial nominees, in exchange of getting the Senate to go on recess.
I did hear McGahn speak to the Federalist Society on C-SPAN, and was very impressed.
It would be great if he were attorney general, or ran for a high elected office.

It is a meat grinder job. He just turned 40. He might like to try to make some money one of these days while he can.

He probably doesn’t have the scholastic background to be considered for Supreme Court, and might not have any interest in that anyway, or Appeals. A partnership in Big Law can be awfully remunerative.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Well, I wish him well—in fact I wish him riches.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

It is a meat grinder job. He just turned 40. He might like to try to make some money one of these days while he can.

He probably doesn’t have the scholastic background to be considered for Supreme Court, and might not have any interest in that anyway, or Appeals. A partnership in Big Law can be awfully remunerative.

Thanks for the explanation.

I've read liberal posts making this a bad thing about Trump.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post