SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The (possibly unique) way I eat oatmeal
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The (possibly unique) way I eat oatmeal Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I like Quaker rolled oats – the “Old Fashioned” variety, rather than the “Quick” or “Instant” kind. But I’ve never known anyone else that eats it the way I do – dry. I put some in a bowl, get a pinch between thumb and fingers, and toss it into my mouth, holding the bowl under my chin to collect possible droppage. Eaten that way, the oats have a delicious nutty flavor that I don’t get from porridge. Prep and clean-up times are negligible.

Have any of you folks eaten oatmeal this way?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Nope, i used to put instant oatmeal in a smoothie ground up "raw" never rolled though.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
And I thought I was weird for making it with fresh coffee a few times.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
And I thought I was weird for making it with fresh coffee a few times.

Hell yea that's how I do it. Two birds with one stone. Little coffee in the cup, little coffee in the oatmeal.

And yes, eating oats dry is strange. Do you crave apples or sugar cubes also? Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
That's got to plug you up, no?

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I used to put uncooked oatmeal in my morning protein shake. Gave me hellacious gas.

Started cooking night before and putting refrigerated, cooked oatmeal in my shake and both the quantity and toxicity of gas decreased.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Oatmeal gas. The new energy source.

If you don't like crowds, eat oatmeal.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our family tradition destroys any health benefits, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins....basically oatmeal cookies for breakfast. Old fashioned oats, just slightly cooked.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
If you want a nutty flavor, try adding ground flax seed to steel cut oats.

If brown sugar gets boring, try molasses and/or honey.

I have no suggestions regarding gas. Probiotics may help, but the fibrous nature of oats....heck that's the point of it....it isn't supposed to be digested, it's supposed to be like eating hempen rope and clear your insides out while absorbing ldl.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I smoke mine, generally, but tried snorting some off a hooker's ass once.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
but tried snorting some off a hooker's ass once

Nothing better than sitting in a dark basement snorting oats off of a Prince CD wearing a Saddam mask.....just sayin' Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
When I get an hankering for oatmeal raisin cookies I use the thick oats. Sometimes I eat the raw oats. Raw oats and peanut butter was a snack in college.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
<Snippage>

And yes, eating oats dry is strange. Do you crave apples or sugar cubes also? Wink

Neigh.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Steel cut oats cooked al dente with natural peanut butter and honey.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
2/3 cup old fashioned and 1/3 cup steel cut cooked is the way I roll. Toppings vary with mood and for fruit seasons. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have any of you folks eaten oatmeal this way?

I've seen it done. But they were all horses.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I cook it with water then some coconut oil and salt to taste.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I never considered eating it dry or mixed with smoothies and other "exotic" ingredients. I eat one bowl a day with added walnuts, honey and cinnamon, topped with soy milk. Now that I'm in the know, I will step out of my comfort zone and go crazy with my oats intake.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I cook two servings every morning. One for my wife, prepared with a healthy dose of cinnamon and a bit of maple syrup (actual maple, from a tree, not the chemistry experiment substitute).

I don't really like sweet oatmeal, so the other serving for me just gets a glop of butter and a dash of salt.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
He does use a superior browser Big Grin

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post