SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thanks, i love to do recurve blades and haven't had the chance to do many this summer.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dozer:
thanks, i love to do recurve blades and haven't had the chance to do many this summer.

dozer

Dozer makes fine EDC knives. They are out of the budget range Para mentioned but I love his work.

This is the one that gets carried most often.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I do not make the laws,
I balance the scales
Picture of RiCoShea
posted Hide Post
check out Toor Knives. solid blades military/law enforcement providers.

The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them. -
Lois McMaster Bujold

"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."
--Sam Brown

Posts: 395 | Location: On the corner of "No" and "Where" | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
well, this thread has inspired me to name this new fixed blade model the Riot Act. now to decide what type of finish and handle for this little meanie. it is AEB-L stainless with 60 Rc hardness with Cryo treatment. it should be a tough little pocket monster.

dozer

Now THAT is cool wicked. Smile

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Really (not really, prob buy this week) trying to resist the urge to buy a Fallkniven F1...similar to the A1 which I own which is a great knife.

VG-10 steel, 3.8" blade 8.3" overall

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Really (not really, prob buy this week) trying to resist the urge to buy a Fallkniven F1...similar to the A1 which I own which is a great knife.

VG-10 steel, 3.8" blade 8.3" overall

If my memory serves me, Para has an F1.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
BTW, why not folders? Why not automatics? Well, because of speed of deployment, blade length and overall knife strength. Additionally, while Microtech makes some nifty automatics which are surprisingly strong and can be deployed like lightning, they are far from cheap. I want something which I do not care about more than its utility as a tool to accomplish a task.

Again,
I like the way you think!

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
well, this thread has inspired me to name this new fixed blade model the Riot Act. now to decide what type of finish and handle for this little meanie. it is AEB-L stainless with 60 Rc hardness with Cryo treatment. it should be a tough little pocket monster.
Very nice interpretation of a knife intended for defense, dozer. A great advantage of a tanto point is it creates a secondary point on the blade, and with that concave recurve, you've one-upped the tanto blade, because that secondary point is now strongly emphasized, essentially becoming a sharp tooth which cuts not only on piercing, but on draw cuts as well, more so than the convex curve of the tanto design. A draw cut with that blade would lacerate the shit out of whatever it was biting.

The handle- Your hands may be sweating like crazy if you have to use this knife. You need a really, really grippy handle, more so than you would desire on a wilderness knife or working tool. You won't be wielding a defense knife for hours. No need to worry about hot spots. I do not care for one type of knife scale currently in vogue- the stuff that looks like knapped flint or jigged bone. I mean this kind of thing. If it's intended to be an enhanced gripping surface, well, it just doesn't work for me.
No, your design needs scales which start out as rounded on the edges, but then with deep crosshatching filed into the scales, alternating between fine crosshatching and coarse, an aggressive checkered pattern. G-10, perhaps or canvas Micarta, nothing slick like linen Micarta. Rubber or Kraton like on the Cold Steel Kobun would be good as well, but that wouldn't work for you, since these would be molded parts. That kind of thing, you usually see on production kives only.

Lanyard hole- probably none needed given the intended purpose of the knife, but a lanyard hole can be unobtrusive, so, why not? Still, it would likely go unutilized.

While heat treatment is critical in any knife, my understanding is that AEB-L is particularly finicky about its heat treat.

A couple of different sizes of this design, secure kydex sheaths which offer a number of mounting points and you'd really be on to something. Perhaps a bit less upsweep on the point, to put the point more in line with the handle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Here is a short video of the SOG Kiku that I just ordered. I am looking forward to getting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlEL19HDsA4

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input, para. i have been debating the exact design and texture of the handle. i agree about the need for a super grippy surface on this one. i will post up a pic or two of this one when it is all finished.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
So, I went through all the pages of this thread but quickly. I didn’t see what you went with, Para?

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Knife came in today. Great blade well made super sharp and nice carry sheath that has retention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Another Kobun convert here---just not happy with the clip on that sheath - how do you plan to carry it?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Another Kobun convert here---just not happy with the clip on that sheath - how do you plan to carry it?

I like the fact that with a phillips screwdriver I can relocate the clip and change the angle of carry on this scabbard.

I think if one is wearing a combat boot to mount the clip at the tanto point of the scabbard for a hilt down carry, and for belt carry to mount the clip mid scabbard perpendicular to the scabbard so the knife carries horizontal or maybe with a slight cant.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if what you are getting does not work out,

this one is pricey ,
but I am sure if you decide on it we can make it happen.
but the one you chose earlier is 4.4 oz in weight
and this one is 9 oz. Eek

it has USA in the name,and are in So. Carolina ,
which give me the impression that they are from here in the states.

www.spartanbladeusa.com

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I received my Kobun today. I am happy with it. Great size and weight. I like the grip and I like the sheath. I wish the clip was more user friendly to move for different options but I can deal with it.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I really like this blade. I was looking at it recently, funny that someone else has as well

quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
Here is a short video of the SOG Kiku that I just ordered. I am looking forward to getting it.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I really like this blade. I was looking at it recently, funny that someone else has as well

quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:

I received it a couple of days ago. I like it a lot! I just have to figure out how to wear it IWB with the Tec-lok system. It doesn't look like it will work but I haven't spent any time looking at it yet.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
My right thumb can attest to the fact that the Kobun is sharp as heck out of the box...

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Knives which dare to draw blood of even their owner are to be revered.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post