SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
rat, I edited your post by mistake.

Not a problem. Let me get a link to that 5" inch from Cold Steel for you.

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...les-secure-ex-sheath

Posts: 3211 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I ordered the one tatortodd linked. It will be here Friday. I will see if it fits my Glock mags.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8010 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’ve been of the same mind when it comes to carrying a fixed blade and started carrying a Mick Strider SLCC and a Chris Reeves Professional, both being a perfect choice for you with carry on the ankle if it were a bit cheaper. I think I picked mine up awhile back for $175 which is far from your price range. I’m now carrying a nice Borka designed/Fox built SRambit but on the belt rather than the ankle.

Something more in your price range (as I think I understand it) is a CRKT Strafe. I picked one up recently and I’ve been impressed, especially for the price. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kGJyP42P2A

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Perhaps this was already covered, but I think I read the bulk of the posts here and fidn't see it yet.

Cold steel 3ish inch boot knife:

Tac II boot knife

Sheesh, almost same thing posted by rat in the same minute lol.
I found the Tac 1. I need to sign out tonight; have two Ontario knives on the way and a Ka-bar, and now have found three Gerbers and two Cold Steels tonight that interest me. Smile Killer is; I'm an hour drive away from the storefront of Knife Center.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:
I really like the CRKT Sting. Feels good in the hand, price is affordable, and it seems well made. I am normally a SOG guy for my work knives but the Sting is a nice blade.

CRKT Sting Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath: Everyday Carry Boot Knife, Double Edged Powder Coated Stainless Steel, Contoured Handle, Nylon Sheath with Strapping for Carry Options 2020 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001..._api_i_bnipFbG0FQRCY

The Sting is a nice EDC fixed blade. It’s an A.G. Russell design and there is a nicer version, though more expensive and never in stock, sold on the A.G. Russel website.

The CRKT sheath is really awesome. It easily allows for boot carry but the straps can be removed and it works very well horizontally on a belt too, which is my preferred carry method. The handle is a little slick but a bit of grip tape fixed that issue.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Lots of review sites recommend these $26 Topmeet ankle sheaths and get good reviews on Amazon. I haven't tried one but an ankle sheath that carries 2 mags is pretty interesting.
Do it fit Glorp magazines?
One of the reviews said it fits single stack mags but not double stack. It'll likely fit a G43 mag.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23203 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Although I never carry it, except when hunting, I have the Cold Steel Peacekeeper II.

Here's mine...

It's a very well-built knife, but they don't make this model anymore. They do make a higher and lower quality one though...

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I carry a little metal stabby thing, too, and can hold it my closed fist and punch with it in-hand.

I can easily transition from stabbing to punching, hold it over or underhand, and it fits in my pocket.

Mine happens to be custom and sort of expensive, so that's no help, but the topic is great.

I should get a cheap equivalent. Am watching the many suggestions.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Say what? The restriction was 5", and it's been repealed.

Correct, a year ago Sep. 1st. Brass knuckles and misc other items are now legal to carry also.

God I love Texas

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
are the old school SAPS /slaps included in the new legal to carry law??

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Etsy has page after page of edc fixed blade knives in a wide price range. Lots of eye candy as well as some nice functional stuff. You can spend some time here. I have made several purchases from Etsy and never a bad transaction. It's a often overlooked online place to shop.

Etsy rabbit hole

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Say what? The restriction was 5", and it's been repealed.

Correct, a year ago Sep. 1st. Brass knuckles and misc other items are now legal to carry also.

God I love Texas
Correct on knuckles but I quoted Texas penal code a few pages back to correct Il Cattivo‘s error on 5”. Spoiler alert: It’s 5.5” and they only partially fixed our knife laws.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23203 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
In NC, concealing anything other than "an ordinary pocket knife" is illegal. So, what to do? I know state laws vary.

Cold Steel Espada XL. I have been eyeing mine for carry lately. Sadly the reasonably priced G-10 variant appears to be out of stock everywhere.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Strangely enough, Colorado made automatic knives legal not too long ago, but we still have the odd restriction on carrying a knife over a certain size concealed.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Ive carried a fixed blades off and on over the years. Fixed blades have the advantage of speed and strength. Ankle carry would negate the speed for me. When I edc a fixed blade, it’s a TDI, or backer necker or Esee izula. I just haven’t found a good way to carry a bigger fixed blade that still gives me the speed I need. I sort of compromise by carrying an automatic folder most of the time.

All that being said, I may pick up a few of these fixed blades everyone has recommended for a bug out situation. A buck 119 is a great knife and made in America. The GLOCK field knife would seem to fit in nicely too.

And for those that were asking about a non metallic knife, check out VZ. Cool knife and the owner is a good guy.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:

Yes, as are clubs and tomahawks.

https://statutes.capitol.texas...ocs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I collect and carry fixed blades. Dont carry one specifically for defensive purposes.

If i was going to carry a knife specifically to defend myself, I would get a karambit or like a benchmark SOCP (though screw benchmade).

Something with great retention and made more for slashing than stabbing.

I would greatly encourage anyone considering carrying a knife to defend themselves that they get some training. If you get into a knife fight, youre gonna get cut. The winner is who bleeds the least.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
quote:

Yes, as are clubs and tomahawks.

https://statutes.capitol.texas...ocs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm
Legal but with the same location restrictions as 5.5” knives

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
^^Yes. Thanks!

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, been shopping for a nice one (now that I've got a Kizlyar - http://www.legionusa.com/kizly...ife-ko-2.-camo..html - just to have a double-edged dagger to legally carry). Not sure I'd settle for a Boston Corp., there's some guys up in Canada (where they're apparently also legal to carry) who make some nice ones.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post