SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
What I want is a boot type of knife that is ceramic. Too many metal detectors in my life right now.

Too brittle. If you can't carry a metal knife, maybe one of those reinforced nylon stabbers from Cold Steel is an option.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
With the notable exception of Prefontaine and Rightwire, not a lot of love for the karambit in this thread. “Deep and frequent” is the phrase that comes to mind.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
...not a lot of love for the karambit in this thread.
The value of curved blades for making lacerations is obvious, but they ain't stabby.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Fits standard Glock mags and my 43X mags

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Woo hoo!

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
^It's true. I had no need for a new knife until I perused this thread. Now I have two on the way. Had to order the second one to get above $100 to qualify for free shipping.

Of course. That makes perfect sense! Wink

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sir , Para I carry that same knife off duty on my left or off hand side. I am a BIG fanboy of fixed knives for defense. I practice drawing with both strong side and reaction hand. With a fixed bladed knife you do not have to worry about failure of
the blade locking. With the fixed blade knife it never needs to reloaded unlike a handgun does. I can go on and on. On duty I ( I am a house cat now) I carried a Becker Necker on my off side pocket and Spyderco Endura behind my gunbelt at my waist.
Not a Navy SEAL but, one is none and two is one. The best reason to carry a fixed blade knife if you are knocked to the ground as bad folks go to cowboy dance on you it is an opportunity to collect dna from all if you wish... VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven’t bought a Cold steel lately either, but I’ve never stopped admiring them. One of my favorites is the master hunter in carbon V. I wouldn’t feel disadvantaged if this was all I had after the magazines ran dry. I’ve opened a lot of deer with it and it’ll do. I spent $60 on it a long time ago, so perhaps in inflation adjusted dollars it would meet some of the younger generation’s standards.

I’ve always coveted the kobun as well as the SRK. I just have come to a point that I take a breath before I duplicate a perfectly serviceable knife (or gun)that I already own. Spend the savings on ammo

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hey lookit that, Cold Steel Spetsnaz Special Forces Trench Shovel, might be a good consideration as an addition to the kit, if ya have to use the knife.....

Spetznaz Shovel

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Covers my fixed blade requirements ... so far
Belt, neck and pocket, the fix (-ed blade) is in.
EDIT: That Cold Steel Naval Dirk has even ridden in a pants leg (waist to just above knee) on one occasion.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I like this one for the stabby-stabby flavor. $210 is a bit steep, not that I haven’t spent that much on ZT, Busse, and others...

4.14” blade, 3.8 oz.

It’s out for pre-order on KnifeCenter, so must be a new one...

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...n-sheath-with-g-clip

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
3 of my fixed blades that could work. I have carried the Friso Shiv on many occasions.

top: T. OPS - 5.75” blade - .25” blade thickness
middle: iPAK - 5.25” blade - .25” blade thickness
bottom: Gerber / Blackie Collins Design “Frisco Shiv” - 4” double edge - .1875” blade thickness

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I had one of these back in the day, and it is an excellent knife. Was stolen in a house burglary back in 1990 or so.

Tekna Ocean Edge

https://www.knifecountryusa.co...tainless-handle.html

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't edc'd a fixed blade for a while, but when I did I carried a Gerber Mark I. Still have 2 of them, great knife.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Gryphon M10 would also be a good choice.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
The value of curved blades for making lacerations is obvious, but they ain't stabby.

Watch a few of Doug Marcaida's videos, he'd disagree as stabby is a big advantage of a Karambit, just not in the normal linear way.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
quote:

Watch a few of Doug Marcaida's videos, he'd disagree as stabby is a big advantage of a Karambit, just not in the normal linear way.

What about stabby is not linear? Cutty = karambit, I thought.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
quote:

I’ve never been eye-to-eye with another man intent on doing me serious bodily harm, for that I’m grateful. I did train extensively in Kajukenbo, a combat MA developed in Hawaii after WWII. Within that training had quite a bit of Kali and Escrima, including some edged weapon stuff. “Defang the snake” was a phrase used to describe strikes or cuts to the arm (most often) attacking you. I can tell you that it’s possible to filet an arm from the hand, all the up to, and including the neck, in less time than it takes to think about it.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
2 of my favorite fixed blades.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I like the small fixed blades CRKT makes. They're good enough to use & fairly inexpensive. They're thin even in the sheath.

I have the 2300GT (no longer in production. I wish I had bought a few more) on my plate rig, & a Minimalist Bowie neck knife.

This one is the closest I could find to compare to the 2300GT>

https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-Ut...d=1598035911&sr=8-57

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post