SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How about a 6 3/4" blade made in the USA Buck Reaper on sale for $40?
Buck 620 Reaper

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I always carry a fixed blade now on my support/weak side. Both of the knives I carry are both a bit more expensive:

Colonel Blades NCO

or

Shivworks Push Dagger:

I have added Ulticlip to both kydex knife sheaths.

Another option is the Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement Knife:

Demo starts at 5:26 minute mark.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
You know your requirements for a knife so I will just point out what I chose when I carried a knife at work.
My goal was to have a fixed blade knife that would be fast to obtain and be effective with either hand, also small enough to not be conspicuous.
I choose the KaBar TDI (small version) with a partial serrated blade.I could easily carry it in its sheath under my gun belt on either side of my body up front. Almost invisible.
My concern at work was always ambush and having something I could defend my handgun with during a struggle. While not being a good choice for a stabbing action it was a great choice for slashing.It could be ankle carried if that were your choice but might be hard to deploy from that position in a struggle.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
A bit more expensive than the CS options, but still under $75 and a lot more knife is the Spyderco ARK.

Very thin, very light and still allows a 3 finger+thumb hold. Designed to be a neck knife, but can easily be worn on the ankle.

It was created by an Army officer, while deployed in the Sand Box, to offer personal protection in the showers

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I like my short Ka-bar . Texas has an odd regulation on fixed blade length and the 5.25" is legal. Made in the USA and about $64.

If you're wanting tanto style, KaBar makes a 5.25" tanto version for $61 and it's made in USA as well.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
I always carry a fixed blade now on my support/weak side. Both of the knives I carry are both a bit more expensive:

Colonel Blades NCO

or

Shivworks Push Dagger:

I saw where ESEE has a push dagger as well.

ESEE Push Dagger Link

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I carry the KA-BAR TDI Law Enforcement Knife.

It can be picked up for btwn $30 and $40.

It's a proven anti-personnel design and won't break the bank.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fixed blade carry makes a lot of sense, and if there's a choice between a folding blade and a fixed blade, then fixed is a clear winner. As the saying goes, a man with a folding blade had half a knife. The first time the pivot goes or the lock gives, one learns why.

That said most of the time my knife will be an Emerson folder. I picked up another on a recent stop in Anchorage. They've served me very well.

I carry a Cold Steel mini koga SD2 (https://www.coldsteel.com/mini-koga-sd2-91mk?returnurl=%2fmartialists-training%2f) on the road. Not a knife, but it's often places where I can't carry or transport a knife.

I carried a Cold Steel SRK in the cockpit doing fire, for some time, as an escape tool.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Alternative to a longer straight blade, Emerson Le Griffe as a neck knife. Used a couple ways as part of a fist, defensive/offensive. No blade is a quick stopper, what's more useful, big slashes or deep stabs?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
That said most of the time my knife will be an Emerson folder. I picked up another on a recent stop in Anchorage. They've served me very well.

I carry a Cold Steel mini koga SD2 (https://www.coldsteel.com/mini-koga-sd2-91mk?returnurl=%2fmartialists-training%2f) on the road. Not a knife, but it's often places where I can't carry or transport a knife.

I carried a Cold Steel SRK in the cockpit doing fire, for some time, as an escape tool.

None of that helps me. I don't have a cockpit, which, on its surface, may sound debilitating, but I never miss it.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Kansbol by Morakniv maybe? I picked one up a while back from recommendation from someone on SF
It’s cheap and durable.

Posts: 396 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Bishop Of Death
posted Hide Post
While on the WPD I carried a Tekna diving knife. The plastic sheath came with a belt clip and could also be strapped to the arm or leg. I would clip into my work boots.

https://www.tek-tite.com/prodd...CEAN_EDGE_DIVE_KNIFE

Under Construction

Posts: 361 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
A little pricey but made for the purpose you want it for.

https://www.amazon.com/sheffie...RBAIRN/dp/B07CV21YG3

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Kershaw's 4007.
Snortle, aka the secret agent.

Cost at the time was $30.

I prefer the Fairbairns-Sykes style.
This is a useful, single edged boot knife. Thickness is 0.13".

A rubber handle, fat in the middle, to prevent slide up, and a small but effective guard. Full tang; holds an edge well.

Unfortunately, as I learned, made in China.
And the sheath clip broke. Haven't sourced a better replacement sheath.

Still on Fairbairn-Sykes styles, I like the Boker Apple Gate, but at $235 ... ummm.

Gerber ... a lot of happy consumers.
The 06 FAST knife at $70?

Great reading in this thread so far ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
After a drug crazed shoplifter grabbed my gun, I learned the hard way.

We had a four to five minute which my life depended on.

Once I recovered from my broken ribs and went back on the street, I began carrying a Cold Steel safe maker II https://www.coldsteel.com/safe-maker-ii-12dcst
Behind my magazine pouch.

I determined that it is really hard to fight back with only one hand while the other hand is busy holding onto your gun..

And I would not make the same mistake twice, if it ever happened again I was gonna stab someone in the neck.

When I retired from policing, I didn’t think I’d need a fixed blade anymore. But you bring up good point.I may start carrying the Safemaker II on my left side.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I've had a Kubon for 20+ years. Great knife.

I sent it off to Albert at Seattle Edge and he sharpened it to "Light Saber" status. Freaky sharp and it's held that edge very well.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

I know you said ESEE wasn't quite what you're looking for, but I sure do like my Izula. It is light, flat, can be carried in many different ways.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

Colonel Blades NCO

or

Shivworks Push Dagger:

I have added Ulticlip to both kydex knife sheaths.

Another option is the Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement Knife:

Demo starts at 5:26 minute mark.

I’m a big fan of the Colonel pattern knives.
Regularly carry the Colonel folder and the fixed Lowvz

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
What I want is a boot type of knife that is ceramic. Too many metal detectors in my life right now.
Such knives have no lateral strength and are expensive.

What about a complete knife made of G10?

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/1mLFO0SICWk

https://twbrandsgear.com/

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

None of that helps me. I don't have a cockpit, which, on its surface, may sound debilitating, but I never miss it.

Perhaps just as well.

The mini-coga replaces a fixed blade; it won't cut, but properly applied, it doesn't need to. I've carried one for years when working internationally; lots of places that a blade can't go.

Cold Steel also makes a series of polymer knives, called the nightshade series. Not only will those knives penetrate with a thrust, but some of them are still sharp enough for a slash, too. No metal. Some have kraton no-slip grip areas, and they do come with a scabbard. They're inexpensive, and may be an option for some, under the right circumstances.

For carry when home, it's nearly always an Emerson folder, but I first started carrying a kabar TDI when in Iraq. For weak-side carry, they're specifically designed for use when the strong hand is doing retention in a holster, and the weak hand is fighting off a gun-grab. They're primary for thrusting. I have the small and large versions, but like the smaller version.

I have some small fixed blades made locally by friends, that I carry strong side, if carried. After my flashlight, I use the knives more than anything else, dozens of times a day. More often folders than fixed, but the fixed blade is definitely the better choice for a defensive blade.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post