SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
ESEE knives might be worth a look. When carrying, sheaths will be of prime importance. ESEE knives are extremely common and there are all kinds if various sheaths available for them.

Have a few ESEE's and really like them. However, the CM6 seems the only "sticker" in their line up and it is just shy of $250.

Maybe look at Gurber "Strongarm". About $70

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
I carry th Colonel Blades nco fixed as well. Love it.

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I like my short Ka-bar . Texas has an odd regulation on fixed blade length and the 5.25" is legal. Made in the USA and about $64.

If you're wanting tanto style, KaBar makes a 5.25" tanto version for $61 and it's made in USA as well.

Thank you, I was not aware of that part of the law. I have been contemplating a fixed blade as well but the only seni suitable one I have is a Dozier AR toothpick but I need a different sheath to carry it concealed....and I would hate for it to end up in a evidence locker.

Sounds like a good chute knife would be perfect. I thought we had a member that made a nice version but I can't find the link.

Screw it, does anyone make a iwb shealth for a Grayman ground pounder Big Grin

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm picking up a few fixed blades of late, just in case...my next one that I'm looking at is the Ontario RAT 5. They're getting a bit scarce, but that firm I try not to do business with has a few.

https://www.amazon.com/Ontario...-Green/dp/B077QWPSHK

Posts: 3210 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
ESEE knives might be worth a look. When carrying, sheaths will be of prime importance. ESEE knives are extremely common and there are all kinds if various sheaths available for them.

Have a few ESEE's and really like them. However, the CM6 seems the only "sticker" in their line up and it is just shy of $250.

Maybe look at Gurber "Strongarm". About $70

Attaching a link to the Gerber should Para want to check it out. Good choice!

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-...plain-edge-30-001058

Posts: 3210 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
HA! Someone ask if I had a knife on me once... I replied "If I have pants on I have a knife". I often carry 2 knives, but both folders... one clipped on my pocket and one in my pocket...

... that's nothing compared to my prepper, survivalist, 3%er Son in Law. He showed me his knife stash once. He had 5 on his person. One on a cord around his neck inside his shirt, one folder in a pocket, a fixed blade on his belt under his shirt tail same as his carry gun, one clipped to his boot laces hid by his pants leg and one on the opposite ankle from the boot lace one. None were visible.

I used to carry one in my old truck, a Bowie, the sheath taped to the bottom of the steering column out of sight but in perfect easy reach of my right hand. Sold the truck, this reminds me I need to put it in the other one, just haven't done it yet.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4124 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
Para, does your state allow double edge?

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
The handles are probably thicker than you want but my current fixed blades I use for carry opposite a S&W J frame are

Mora Heavy Duty 3.2mm thick blade with custom shealth (very lightweight)
Gryphon M10 with custom sheath
Spyderco Street Beat
Spyderco Street Bowie
KaBar BK16 with kydex sheath

If you'd like measurements let me know.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPG:

"Allow" isn't a word we let them use in our state. Smile

I'm a fan of the short KaBar too, just not from Amazon.

https://www.gpknives.com/kabar...-plastic-sheath.html

Posts: 9488 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I have thought of something along the lines that you are contemplating, parabellum. I have been giving thought to a Skean Dhu, from Cold Steel. Glass composite blade, kraton (I think) covered grip, wouldn’t trip metal detectors.

https://www.coldsteel.com/fgx-skean-dhu-92fsd

Posts: 12174 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
For what you describe needing my 30 yo Ek "Secret Agent" Boot Knife is a good fit although with a shorter blade length than the CS you originally cited. Easier to carry though. Smile

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9240080854

There are numerous versions of this on today's market like the Kershaw here
https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw...ective/dp/B00I0RUZGY
Or CRKT Sting (old AG Russell style) here
https://www.amazon.com/Sting-F...heath/dp/B00180CYFA/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16176 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
For what you describe needing my 30 yo Ek "Secret Agent" Boot Knife is a good fit although with a shorter blade length than the CS you originally cited.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9240080854

There are numerous versions of this on today's market like the Kershaw here
https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw...ective/dp/B00I0RUZGY
Or CRKT Sting (old AG Russell style) here
https://www.amazon.com/Sting-F...heath/dp/B00180CYFA/

Bald1 that is a great knife, had one, gifted to a cousin when he entered a fed agency

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
The Gerber Guardian would seem to fit your requirements. It’s about $50 and made in USA. I’ve had mine for many years. Top quality, very sharp, fairly easy to carry and large enough to get the job done.

Edited to add: I just looked on amazon and eBay, I had no idea how much they cost now. Still a great knife, but not as affordable as I thought.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Para,

If I were in the same position, I would pick something like the Ka-Bar TDI, or Benchmade Azeria.

The forward cant gives a very secure grip that supports the knife with the palm of your hand, rather than relying on your grip strength to push the blade through clothing.

The forward cant also gives you a full grip in a more compact package, and gives you a hook shape to get your finger under and pull on to get the knife out of its sheath, even if your hand is covered in blood or sweat.

Works as a cross draw and weakside in the reverse grip, and gives you better slashing power in the weakside reverse grip than a straight blade.

Knife fighting may devolve into ground fighting and become reliant on just gross motor skills. You want to be able to grab a big handful of knife (handle) and be able to drive the blade repeatedly into a vital area even if your head/face is buried in an opponents clothing. A long blade may be more of a liability than a short canted blade designed for rapid stab/punches. Watch MMA fighters when they get taken down and start throwing punches at each other while grappling. Now imagine doing that with a knife in your hand.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tacitly, yes. The law makes no mention of configuration. What the law does say is that you can carry a 12 inch [Foghorn Leghorn]A 12 I SAY A 12 INCH BLADE, SON!! THAT'S RIGHT, BOY!! JOHN I SAY JOHN HOLMES WOULD BE PROUD!![/Foghorn Leghorn]

Posts: 107407 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D4Heavy:
Kansbol by Morakniv maybe? I picked one up a while back from recommendation from someone on SF
It’s cheap and durable.

Yep and Swiss made and under $20. An awesome device and value.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Here's a Cold Steel knife that is designed for ankle carry for about the same price as the one you're looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-St...op_468_14?_encoding=

Jim

I've got that knife, and I like it, and it has some of the characteristics Para is looking for, but I think the tip is too pointy and sharp and likely to break/snap. Also, I wouldn't call it a really stout knife.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Not sure how it would be for ankle carry, but I figured if I had to be in a knife fight, I wanted a big, bad knife not some little apple peeler.

Horizontal across the small of the back, reach for a wallet, pull a thug popper.

Picked up a Cold Steel Chaos from Amazon (don’t carry it any more) for around $50. Available other sellers...

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...les-secure-ex-sheath

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10922 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Tacitly, yes. The law makes no mention of configuration. What the law does say is that you can carry a 12 inch [Foghorn Leghorn]A 12 I SAY A 12 INCH BLADE, SON!! THAT'S RIGHT, BOY!! JOHN I SAY JOHN HOLMES WOULD BE PROUD!![/Foghorn Leghorn]

In that case, I have a Gerber guardian. Loveless design and or a Cold Steel push dagger I would like to karma you for keeping this forum going for so many years. It is the one forum I go to everyday
SPG

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Been following this thread and just ordered the Gerber Strong Arm Coyote Brown from Scheels for $70. Fit the bill for everything I was looking for. Under 10" overall length, horizontal belt carry option, spike pommel, rubberized non slip handle. And most importantly made in the USA.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8518 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post