SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I woke up this morning without ever thinking about needing a fixed blade, and now I have been looking at them all evening and pretty convinced I want one. This place is expensive.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
I woke up this morning without ever thinking about needing a fixed blade, and now I have been looking at them all evening and pretty convinced I want one. This place is expensive.

Agreed.
I'm liking the option posted by bald1 on pg4.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Not sure how it would be for ankle carry, but I figured if I had to be in a knife fight, I wanted a big, bad knife not some little apple peeler.

Horizontal across the small of the back, reach for a wallet, pull a thug popper.

Picked up a Cold Steel Chaos from Amazon (don’t carry it any more) for around $50. Available other sellers...

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...les-secure-ex-sheath

Funny you should mention that knife. I have two of them in tanto blade sitting in a box not two feet from where I'm typing; got them some months ago and never put them away. They are indeed bad ass mofo's, but difficult to conceal, or even carry comfortably.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:

Agreed.

Great knife, no longer made. I just checked Arizona Custon Knives. All. Ek’s are sold. That model going 195.00

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
I have two of them in tanto blade sitting in a box not two feet from where I'm typing; got them some months ago and never put them away. They are indeed bad ass mofo's, but difficult to conceal.
You could fuck some shit up with one of those. The spear point model, too.

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I have two of them in tanto blade sitting in a box not two feet from where I'm typing; got them some months ago and never put them away. They are indeed bad ass mofo's, but difficult to conceal.
You could fuck some shit up with one of those. The spear point model, too.

I'd be happy to send you one if you'd like. I was thinking the same thing as SPG, but he beat me to it.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPG:

Great knife, no longer made.

Sorry if I mislead anyone. I mentioned mine was 30 years old and cited two available models that have similar designs in my post.

Yeah I have a bunch of Ek knives and pictured them in the thread I also linked in my post on page 4.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd be happy to send you one if you'd like. I was thinking the same thing as SPG, but he beat me to it.
I appreciate it, but it's a bit much. Thank you, though.

posted Hide Post
And we appreciate this forum. Let me know if you change your mind.

posted Hide Post
bald1...Very nice.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I always carry one of the 3. In order from top, Super Karambit, Combat Karambit, fixed blade Karambit. I do favor the fixed blade, but the combat and super are easier to carry and have the wave. Just one finger pull out of one of the front pockets and it folds open and locks on its own. Once in hand it’s almost impossible for someone to knock it out of your hand.

Pistol, spare mag, knife and flashlight are always on person. 31 rounds on person and a knife I feel confident.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12636 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
In regards to carrying the blade about the ankle; I'm wondering out loud if something like the Galco Ankle Safe would work (perhaps with a field modification...)?
Lots of review sites recommend these $26 Topmeet ankle sheaths and get good reviews on Amazon. I haven't tried one but an ankle sheath that carries 2 mags is pretty interesting.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
In NC, concealing anything other than "an ordinary pocket knife" is illegal. So, what to do? I know state laws vary.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Sorry if I mislead anyone. I mentioned mine was 30 years old and cited two available models that have similar designs in my post.

Yeah I have a bunch of Ek knives and pictured them in the thread I also linked in my post on page 4.

My comment was on the Amazon options, re: sturdy fixed blade on a budget

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Nice collection of Ek’s. A little jealous

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Lots of review sites recommend these $26 Topmeet ankle sheaths and get good reviews on Amazon. I haven't tried one but an ankle sheath that carries 2 mags is pretty interesting.
Do it fit Glorp magazines?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Lots of review sites recommend these $26 Topmeet ankle sheaths and get good reviews on Amazon. I haven't tried one.

I don't think either would work with this variant of the Cold Steel model 911Boss posted, but it may with the 5" boot knife from Cold Steel(CS10BCTL).

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...les-secure-ex-sheath

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this was already covered, but I think I read the bulk of the posts here and fidn't see it yet.

Cold steel 3ish inch boot knife:

Tac II boot knife

Sheesh, almost same thing posted by rat in the same minute lol.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
rat, I edited your post by mistake.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a Karambit as prefontaine noted? A folder with the emerson wave feature deploys the blade as you pull it from your pocket.

If you do consider one of these, get a trainer to practice with. If you don't I guarantee blood and a few ruined pieces of clothing

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post