SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I took the 3 day pistol course at TDI several years ago and John was touting his knives at that time. He was a first rate instructor and a good course.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Picked up a Cold Steel Chaos from Amazon (don’t carry it any more) for around $50. Available other sellers...
Well, yeah, if I could manage to conceal it, that would be a great choice for a fight. Big Grin

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPG:
In that case, I have a Gerber guardian. Loveless design and or a Cold Steel push dagger I would like to karma you for keeping this forum going for so many years. It is the one forum I go to everyday
I accept your gift, most gratefully. Thank you. I'll send you an email shortly.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Yep and Swiss made and under $20. An awesome device and value.

That Mora is $50 and made in Sweden

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I just bought five of them for under $100. Sorry on the coo. Swedish, not Swiss. Might of been a smaller version. Not sure. Mine are blue.

https://morakniv.se/en/product/companion-s/

The store I bought my first one at only had the one. A buddy saw me with it and loved it so I gave it to him. I had the store order me five more. I just need to get back and pick them up. They ordered them and are ready for pick up. Wink

Going to give some to my brothers and keep a couple as boat knives. Perfect size for personal protection too. Good sheath as well.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Para... I’m curious if you could describe how you’d carry the Cold Steel Kobun (or any other fixed blade knife) on your ankle, as opposed to inside a boot. Perhaps some sort of Velcro strap? This is a learning moment for me. Thanks!

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Great idea SPG, Para if you want one of the Mora's let me know. I would gladly send you one when I get them. It might take me a bit to get them though. Email me and I will send as soon as I get, gladly.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't even know if it will work, but a couple of elastic straps, and wear it on the outside of my right ankle, and get the knife out of the sheath by pushing on its lip with my thumb while grasping the knife.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Texas has an odd regulation on fixed blade length and the 5.25" is legal. Made in the USA and about $64.

Thank you, I was not aware of that part of the law.

Say what? The restriction was 5", and it's been repealed.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Para if you want one of the Mora's let me know. I would gladly send you one when I get them. It might take me a bit to get them though. Email me and I will send as soon as I get, gladly.
Thank you for the offer, but I have a Kansbol. It rides in the emergency kit in my truck.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ok, good.

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Aeteocles - not a good idea to suggest Benchmade.

While I don’t have any of the following, these knives came to mind based on the desired characteristics:
- Kershaw Secret Agent
- CRKT Sting or Strafe
- Gerber Strong Arm

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Correct, a year ago Sep. 1st. Brass knuckles and misc other items are now legal to carry also.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the size of the knife here's a great way to carry an EDC. Right handed cross draw:

https://youtu.be/RH5eP6jEbqg?t=152

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My 15 year old son bought this knife for me last month for my birthday. I’m not sure how good this blade style is for thrusting. However, it is strong, appears to be well made, and should cover all your other requirements. My son told me he was trying to find a blade that was not made in China. The blade has no country of origin on it but the sheath does say it was made in China. I guess the blade could have been made in Japan, or somewhere else for that matter, but I simply can’t tell you definitively where it was made.

It has a 4” blade and is equally comfortable carrying in a variety of positions despite the finger groves. The handle is rubbery and provides an excellent grip. The rear spine of the blade has small serrations that work well with your thumb. It cost about $20.00 according to Mrs. BB61 at Wally World. Amazon has almost the exact same thing only in black for $31.00. https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-...dExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ianfiniti:
For what you are describing I HIGHLY recommend Morakniv. Very solid beater knives for less than $20. No bells or whistles, just decent steel and a sturdy polymer handle.

https://morakniv.se/en/knifeseries/basic-en/

I will agree. I discovered Mora, years ago, and bought probably 8 of their varios knives at one time. To me, they are cheap in price, very hight quality, and I don't treat mine as beater knives.
They are very lightweight, but strong, and would withstand moderate heavy use. Not a Randall, by any means, but Mora is my favorite knife.

Carbon or stainless, you can't go wrong.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Texas has an odd regulation on fixed blade length and the 5.25" is legal. Made in the USA and about $64.

Thank you, I was not aware of that part of the law.

I bought the knife before they partially fixed the goofie 5.5" law. IMO, still way too many restrictions on a 5.5" knife, and it's not like I'll miss the extra 1/4".
quote:
Texas Penal Code § 46.01. Definitions

(6) “Location-restricted knife” means a knife with a blade over five and one-half inches.
quote:
Texas Penal Code § 46.03. Places Weapons Prohibited

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, location-restricted knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a) :

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless:

(A) pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;  or

(B) the person possesses or goes with a concealed handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this section applies, on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education, on any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of the institution;

(2) on the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress;

(3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;

(4) on the premises of a racetrack;

(5) in or into a secured area of an airport;  or

(6) within 1,000 feet of premises the location of which is designated by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice as a place of execution under Article 43.19, Code of Criminal Procedure , on a day that a sentence of death is set to be imposed on the designated premises and the person received notice that:

(A) going within 1,000 feet of the premises with a weapon listed under this subsection was prohibited;  or

(B) possessing a weapon listed under this subsection within 1,000 feet of the premises was prohibited.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a location-restricted knife:

(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code ;

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the person is a participant in the event and a location-restricted knife is used in the event;

(3) on the premises of a correctional facility;

(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing facility licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the person has written authorization of the hospital or nursing facility administration, as appropriate;

(5) on the premises of a mental hospital, as defined by Section 571.003, Health and Safety Code , unless the person has written authorization of the mental hospital administration;

(6) in an amusement park;  or

(7) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the CRKT Sting. Feels good in the hand, price is affordable, and it seems well made. I am normally a SOG guy for my work knives but the Sting is a nice blade.

CRKT Sting Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath: Everyday Carry Boot Knife, Double Edged Powder Coated Stainless Steel, Contoured Handle, Nylon Sheath with Strapping for Carry Options 2020 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001..._api_i_bnipFbG0FQRCY

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Kobun at one time. For the money it is a great knife. Like the older voyager line of pocket knives it withstood quite a bit of abuse. Very good edge retention. If lost replacing it is not painful. I will replace mine soon.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In regards to carrying the blade about the ankle; I'm wondering out loud if something like the Galco Ankle Safe would work (perhaps with a field modification...)?

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post