SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just got rear-ended at lunchtime....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got rear-ended at lunchtime.... Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
Some of the Alabama members are familiar with Hwy 280's notorious traffic. I was out to grab a bit of lunch, when I heard a screeching tires and a big THUD. Looked in the mirror just in time to see the car that was about to hit me.

We were in stop-and-go traffic when a lady in a Jeep Grand Cherokee rear-ended 2 ladies in a Toyota, knocking them into me. Thankfully, I have a class III trailer hitch. Big Grin I and my vehicle are unharmed, but the middle car's trunk is smashed in, and her front bumper lost the battle with my trailer hitch. The Jeep's from bumper took a beating when it smashed into the Toyota.

The car behind me had 2 babies in it, one of them only 2 months old. The Jeep also had a 1 year old baby in it. Thankfully, all were in good car seats, and no one was injured.

Be careful out there.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear ya...

I bumped another guy at a traffic light a few weeks ago. No major damage and first fender bender in 15+ years.

Sure did make me feel like a knucklehead. Insurance will cover it and we were both level-headed afterward.

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Glad everybody is ok and your vehicle is undamaged.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Good chance you might be a little sore tomorrow - general advice is to take some advil to deal with the thousands of micro-tears in your muscles from tensing up and the shock wave that passes through you.

I was nailed in 2014 and now my neck hurts 3 years later; don't think it's really a coincident. But I may have been hit a little harder than you did. Lady was doing like 35 when she hit me at a full stop.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Glad you suffered no damage.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Glad you're OK. When you saw the impending collision in the mirror did you let up off the brakes?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I hear you. I was rear ended two weeks ago, on the interstate with rolling traffic towards the end of the morning rush. I was doing about 20-25, guy behind me was doing about 30-35. No warning at all, just slammed into me. Thankfully I had good gap between me and the car in front of me, so no accordion action.

Best guess is guy was on the cellphone, no screeching tires or nothing. I was in my Optima, he was in BMW 3something. I wish I had been in the F150 as it already has some rear end damage and certainly would have caused a lot more carnage to his car.

I just dropped my car of Monday for the repairs, they called yesterday and it is north of $4K. On the bright side, his insurance is covering a sweet Mustang convertible for a rental while mine is in the shop. Wife has already decided once the Optima is fixed, she wants to dump it and get a convertible 'stang of our own.

Love that woman Wink

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Glad you all are OK.

Yeah, I did 280 for about 10 years before moving to paradise, so I know of what you speak Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A Class III is good for more than just towing. Good to hear you were ok.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
A Class III is good for more than just towing. Good to hear you were ok.

It's the second time in the last 5-6 years I got rear-ended with the same result.
Class III hitch: 2
Bumper/grill of car behind me: 0

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I cringe thinking about that. Glad your good to go without injury. I feel sorry for the middle car with the the 2 babies, they get the worst of it. My wife had something similar but was at an intersection making a left being the middle car she was shoved out into the middle of the intersection.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I leave a pintle hitch installed in the hitch receiver on my pickup year round.
I have had people "bump into" me twice in the last three years. You should see the size of their eyes when they get out and look at the front of their vehicle.
Plastic bumpers and grills don't stand up to a solidly mounted chunk of steel.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My daughter was in the middle of one of these.
Car doesn't stop in time and hits her in the rear knocking her into the car in front of her.

Daughters insurance had to pay for the car in front...
Why?

I never understood, the car in rear was completely at fault. Daughter and the other car were both stopped at a red light when hit.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
My now ex BIL had a rear ender, he simply didn't stop in time and hit a pickup with a class 3 hitch that punched a hole in my BIL radiator. He was pissed that the guy in the truck.

His logic was the guy should not have had a hitch that would extend far enough out to hole his radiator. He never acknowledged that it was his fault to start with. What kind of logic is that?

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Glad you are ok,we need you around here,the hitch saved me years back,the old van sots pretty high and that compact car had major damage,me zero,

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
it wasn't me Smile

seriously though, glad you're ok

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watching people approaching me while I am stopped in traffic on my motorcycle is exciting!
Maybe a class III would help me out!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought this was going to be interesting, then I remembered I was on the wrong forum Smile

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
My now ex BIL had a rear ender, he simply didn't stop in time and hit a pickup with a class 3 hitch that punched a hole in my BIL radiator. He was pissed that the guy in the truck.

His logic was the guy should not have had a hitch that would extend far enough out to hole his radiator. He never acknowledged that it was his fault to start with. What kind of logic is that?

He never acknowledged that it was his fault to start with. What kind of logic is that?

Snowflake?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And another thing....

Gave the officer my DL and insurance info. He never asked if I was armed or had a CC permit, so I never mentioned it. I had my LCP in my back pocket at the time.