SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just got rear-ended at lunchtime....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got rear-ended at lunchtime.... Login/Join 
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
My now ex BIL had a rear ender, he simply didn't stop in time and hit a pickup with a class 3 hitch that punched a hole in my BIL radiator. He was pissed that the guy in the truck.

His logic was the guy should not have had a hitch that would extend far enough out to hole his radiator. He never acknowledged that it was his fault to start with. What kind of logic is that?

To be fair, the guy who owned the pick up should've removed his hitch when he removed the trailer. Having those hitches extended out past the bumper defeats the whole purpose of having a bumper in the first place.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
To be fair, the guy who owned the pick up should've removed his hitch when he removed the trailer. Having those hitches extended out past the bumper defeats the whole purpose of having a bumper in the first place.

You remove the hitch after every time you haul a trailer? I've never heard of that or even considered it - it's enough of a hassle as it is, no way I would put the hitch on and take it off every time I was going to tow something.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
My now ex BIL had a rear ender, he simply didn't stop in time and hit a pickup with a class 3 hitch that punched a hole in my BIL radiator. He was pissed that the guy in the truck.

His logic was the guy should not have had a hitch that would extend far enough out to hole his radiator. He never acknowledged that it was his fault to start with. What kind of logic is that?

Seriously? Most every P/U or SUV I see here in the South has a trailer hitch on it, with a draw bar and ball in place. In both cases where I was rear-ended, my bumper never even got a scratch on it. I'd say my hitch saved the day.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
You remove the hitch after every time you haul a trailer? I've never heard of that or even considered it - it's enough of a hassle as it is, no way I would put the hitch on and take it off every time I was going to tow something.

Actually I am serious, the whole point of the bumper is to lower the cost of low speed accidents. Keeping the hitch in place without a trailer defeats the purpose.

And how often do you tow things? Unless you are a contractor or rancher towing things daily it really doesn't add that much time. Particularly if you install and remove it regularly and use grease.

In some states it is even required by law.

quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Seriously? Most every P/U or SUV I see here in the South has a trailer hitch on it, with a draw bar and ball in place. In both cases where I was rear-ended, my bumper never even got a scratch on it. I'd say my hitch saved the day.

Nearly everyone speeds, and most grandmas stay in the left lane in Florida.

Just because everyone does it, doesn't mean that it is the right thing to do or even legal.

And your hitch probably caused a ton more damage to the other persons vehicle raising the total cost of the accident paid out by insurance. Which causes your and everyone else in your area's insurance rates to go up.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually I am serious, the whole point of the bumper is to lower the cost of low speed accidents. Keeping the hitch in place without a trailer defeats the purpose.

And how often do you tow things? Unless you are a contractor or rancher towing things daily it really doesn't add that much time. Particularly if you install and remove it regularly and use grease.

We tow usually a couple of times a week and a lot of the time unplanned. Coffeeaddict is a horse trainer and is at the farm every day so putting it on and taking it off every time it's used is a complete non-starter and wouldn't even be considered. I have no problem if you like doing it or if everyone else does it, it ain't happening around here.

quote:

In some states it is even required by law.

Thankfully we live in a free state where there is no such nonsense...What a silly nanny state law to have on the books!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
We tow usually a couple of times a week and a lot of the time unplanned. Coffeeaddict is a horse trainer and is at the farm every day so putting it on and taking it off every time it's used is a complete non-starter and wouldn't even be considered. I have no problem if you like doing it or if everyone else does it, it ain't happening around here.

And? I keep my hitch in a plastic bag under the rear seat with cargo straps, and other items used to hauling stuff. So even if it unplanned it takes minutes to install.

Let me guess you don't like to do it because it takes a ton of effort to remove? That is because you install it and leave it on. Now you have rust, and dirt keeping the hitch trapped on the receiver. You remove it regularly it is much less of an issue.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
And? I keep my hitch in a plastic bag under the rear seat with cargo straps, and other items used to hauling stuff. So even if it unplanned it takes minutes to install.

Let me guess you don't like to do it because it takes a ton of effort to remove? That is because you install it and leave it on. Now you have rust, and dirt keeping the hitch trapped on the receiver. You remove it regularly it is much less of an issue.

I didn't mean for it to come off snarky or critical of anyone who chooses to remove it after each use - I'm a live and let live kind of guy! If it works for you, that's great - but we put it on, lock it and it's not coming off unless and until we get ready to sell the truck or retire it when the wheels fall off. We also leave the Spyder gooseneck installed as well and only take it out when we need to use the full bed, which is rare. It's a utility vehicle that's used several times a week to haul and there's no upside to taking it off and on every time it's used.

I just seriously didn't know of or hear of a truck owner taking it off and on after every use - and we know a ton of truck owners being in the horse industry.

- John Adams

The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just seriously didn't know of or hear of a truck owner taking it off and on after every use - and we know a ton of truck owners being in the horse industry.

That is because most people don't think of others anymore. Removing it IS the proper thing to do. But hey were are a society that only cares about "me me me" so I am not surprised that most people install them and leave them on.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is because most people don't think of others anymore. Removing it IS the proper thing to do. But hey were are a society that only cares about "me me me" so I am not surprised that most people install them and leave them on.

Yeah, that's it - I guess you are just better than everyone else Roll Eyes

- John Adams

The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, that's it - I guess you are just better than everyone else Roll Eyes

Probably not, but I do attempt to try to do the proper thing.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hey, here's a tip: If you don't want my trailer hitch to damage your car, DON'T run into my trailer hitch. Wink

If not for my hitch, MY vehicle would likely have suffered significant damage.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably not, but I do attempt to try to do the proper thing.

Congratulations, we are all proud of you for pointing out our selfish ways.

- John Adams

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, here's a tip: If you don't want my trailer hitch to damage your car, DON'T run into my trailer hitch. Wink

I would think THAT would be the proper, unselfish thing to do. Big Grin

- John Adams

The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or more likely both bumpers would've absorbed the impact and the total damage would've been lower. But hey it is only the insurance company's money, it isn't like you pay for the insurance.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Or more likely both bumpers would've absorbed the impact and the total damage would've been lower. But hey it is only the insurance company's money, it isn't like you pay for the insurance.

I don't think I can convey to you how much I DON'T care about the damage to the car that RAN INTO ME. I don't care if they have to total it.

The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't think I can convey to you how much I DON'T care about the damage to the car that RAN INTO ME. I don't care if they have to total it.

Based on your description the person that ran into you didn't do it on purpose but instead were rear ended into you. So they not only have to deal with the damage from being rear ended, but they got fucked by your hitch as well.

And yes you should care about the damage of the cars that ran into you. If accidents in your area cost 20-30% more because everyone is leaving their hitches on their trucks, that means that cost will be passed onto you through increased insurance rates.

Finally don't assume that you are perfect as well, what if you back into someone? To paraphrase something Bruce Gray said to me once "God made one perfect man, and he isn't me."

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally don't assume that you are perfect as well, what if you back into someone?

Get back to me when IF that happens. I've been driving over 40 years and it hasn't happened yet. Wink

If you need to take your trailer hitch off to feel "safe", good for you. In the words of Harry Callahan, "A man's got to know his limitations."

The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get back to me when IF that happens. I've been driving over 40 years and it hasn't happened yet. Wink

If you need to take your trailer hitch off to feel "safe", good for you. In the words of Harry Callahan, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Because that was exactly the point of my posts on this subject. Roll Eyes

But hey fuck everyone else right?

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
And yes you should care about the damage of the cars that ran into you. If accidents in your area cost 20-30% more because everyone is leaving their hitches on their trucks, that means that cost will be passed onto you through increased insurance rates.

Show your work. Show actual statistics that show that accidents cost 20-30% more due to trailer hitches. Either that statistic exists or you just made it up out of thin air.

Also show the actual percentage increase in insurance rates due to truck drivers leaving hitches on.

Otherwise it's BS.

- John Adams

posted Hide Post
quote:
you just made it up out of thin air.