SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just got rear-ended at lunchtime....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got rear-ended at lunchtime.... Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
Wall of text attempting to deflect from made up bullshit thrown out to support a personal attack.

No, let's review what has happened here.

Bigboreshooter gets rear ended, hitch saves his truck from damage.

You post that people should remove hitches after every use.

I post that I've never heard of that or seen it.

You explain why you do it.

I accept your explanation and move on.

You come back with personal insult directed at me, Bigboreshooter and anyone in society who chooses to do other than what you do.

Your argument is rejected.

You then proceed to double down, making up numbers to support your silly assertion and to attempt to justify your personal insult.

You are asked to provide proof of your numbers and statistics.

You have now made 6 posts since then and in none of them did you provide ANY proof of your unsubstantiated claims.

This is the forest we are in, the forest of your lies.

The proper thing to do would be to admit that you made up a bunch of bullshit to justify your personal attacks and apologize like a man.

That would be the proper thing to do.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I pull a trailer almost every day. When I don't, put me in the camp of deploreables that leave my hitch in. Yeah, maybe a little lazy but more importantly I like the protection it gives me. Fuck you mister I'm not paying attention, keep your vehicle off my shiny chrome bumper. It's a big ole combination ball and pintle hitch too.

It's my work truck and if I had my way I'd have a big ole cow catcher on the front too to deflect the damn deer that keep popping out in front of me. 2 in the past year have bounced off my bumper.

This thread has got me thinking about protecting the side of my vehicle to - maybe some of those big spikes mount on the lug nuts Big Grin

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
Personal attacks? At no point do I make personal attacks. You may infer that because your attitude toward the issue, but I was always speaking quite generally in threads like these.

I don't know what I am bothering because you are now in monologue mode, not even bothering to read and respond. But I was quite clear that the number was an estimate, and was meant to illustrate the point. It wasn't meant to be an exact number.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I guess I better see about removing my heavy duty Ranch Hand bumper before it can damage the grill of somebody who rear ends me. For the good of society and stuff. I'll replace it with a piece of pvc pipe, painted black.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
Personal attacks? At no point do I make personal attacks. You may infer that because your attitude toward the issue, but I was always speaking quite generally in threads like these.

Let's see...
quote:
That is because most people don't think of others anymore. Removing it IS the proper thing to do. But hey were are a society that only cares about "me me me" so I am not surprised that most people install them and leave them on.

So, if I don't agree with you I'm acting improperly and only care about 'me, me, me'. Sounds like a direct personal insult to me. Hiding behind semantics is pretty low down.

quote:
I don't know what I am bothering because you are now in monologue mode, not even bothering to read and respond.

We can continue the discussion when you provide evidence for the claims you have already made or retract them.

quote:
But I was quite clear that the number was an estimate, and was meant to illustrate the point. It wasn't meant to be an exact number.

No, you were not clear at all. You have claimed that it costs the insurance company more per accident if one of the vehicles has a hitch and you have claimed that insurance rates have gone up as a result. Show your work on this. You 'estimate' that it costs 20-30% more per accident. Let's see your evidence for this claim.

It's no different than me saying that 60% of all deaths in the US are caused by AIDS every year and you challenging me on my data and me saying 'well, it's only an estimate meant to illustrate my point'. That's called Grade A Bullshit.

Either you have evidence for your claims or you are just talking out of your ass. After 7 replies now with no evidence, I think we all know which this is.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I take my hitch out when not in use, its rare that it does get used anyhow. I was rear ended without the hitch in place, and guess what? The hitch receiver rides flush with the end of the bumper, that pontiac was smashed the fuck up bad and my hitch receiver had some white paint on it from her bumper. Had the body shop that my shop refers customers too look at it and the Frame was fine. PPGMD has a stick up his ass about this for some reason, maybe he rear ended a truck with a hitch once and it really fucked his day.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
I take my hitch out when not in use, its rare that it does get used anyhow. I was rear ended without the hitch in place, and guess what? The hitch receiver rides flush with the end of the bumper, that pontiac was smashed the fuck up bad and my hitch receiver had some white paint on it from her bumper. Had the body shop that my shop refers customers too look at it and the Frame was fine. PPGMD has a stick up his ass about this for some reason, maybe he rear ended a truck with a hitch once and it really fucked his day.

His claims are easy to refute.

I can think of a number of occasions where it would be cheaper for the insurance company overall if the truck had a hitch. Take a $60K truck with a hitch rear-ended by a $5K car. The car may get 2 or 3K in damages or maybe even totaled. With the hitch in place the truck remains unhurt - with no hitch the truck could sustain considerable damage and the overall cost to repair both vehicles could be substantially higher.

Without evidence to back up his claim, it's just a guess on his part and the 20-30% number is totally fabricated nonsense with no basis in reality. With that debunked his other claim that rates have increased due to hitches being installed on trucks is exposed as more made up out of thin air nonsense.

It's one thing to state this as an opinion, it's another to state it as fact and to use that as the basis to say that's it's the only proper thing to do and to do otherwise indicates selfishness.

What utter nonsense - and he's been exposed. I really couldn't care less about his opinion on hitches on trucks, but when he came out with the holier than thou superiority complex and started insulting others, that's too much.

- John Adams

Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
quote:
but when he came out with the holier than thou superiority complex and started insulting others, that's too much.

Not the first time.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's it. I am going out and putting my hitch on

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I have been in insurance for 17 years. Almost half that time was as an auto adjuster. So let's just say I know what I'm talking about.

quote:
The whole point of the bumper is to lower the cost of low speed accidents. Keeping the hitch in place without a trailer defeats the purpose.

I actually cannot believe you said this.
The whole point of the bumper is to absorb impact prior to getting to the frame or frame rails. It's a shock-absorber, not a money saving device. Bumpers have dick to do with saving money in an accident. Case in point - Toyota Rav-4 and the Honda CRV.

quote:
That is because most people don't think of others anymore. Removing it IS the proper thing to do. But hey were are a society that only cares about "me me me" so I am not surprised that most people install them and leave them on.

You started off right, but ended wrong.
Not texting and driving IS the proper thing to do. Not reading the newspaper while eating a bagel in traffic IS the proper thing to do. Not letting your dog ride in your lap IS the proper thing to do. I could go on forever. BBS's trailer hitch isn't the problem - it's distracted drivers who cause accidents to begin with.

quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
"If not for my hitch, MY vehicle would likely have suffered significant damage."

PPGMD said:
Or more likely both bumpers would've absorbed the impact and the total damage would've been lower.

Nope. I've literally written thousands of estimates in my day. This simply isn't true.

quote:
Whiplash injuries often cost more to treat than it costs to fix most slow speed bumper repairs.

Thank ambulance chasers and chiro mills. If the damage is minor, shouldn't the injury? Oh that's right, bumpers are cost-savers and not injury savers.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
I have been in insurance for 17 years. Almost half that time was as an auto adjuster. So let's just say I know what I'm talking about.

Was that a nuke that went off in here or just a MOAB? Big Grin

To summarize:
Every point made by PPGMDBS has been completely debunked. Not only does he not have any evidence to back up his bogus claims, which he made up to put down a member who was in an accident, they have been destroyed by someone who actually works in the industry and has 17 years of real world experience.

I wonder if we will get another wall of text explaining how he can extrapolate and interpolate numbers that he makes up out of thin air to refute this and continue his personal attacks.

- John Adams

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Have you guys ever noticed how when you confront a man and show him he was wrong he will admit his mistakes, apologize and move on but when you confront a bully and show him he was wrong he will either keep on trying to justify his actions or just slink away and attempt to disappear? Funny how that works, isn't it?

- John Adams

Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
All I can say is that I was relieved when I opened the thread and saw that Bigbore was referring to a car accident and not a sexual encounter during lunch. Big Grin

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
All I can say is that I was relieved when I opened the thread and saw that Bigbore was referring to a car accident and not a sexual encounter during lunch. Big Grin

LMAO !
BTW.....MY HITCH STAYS ON ..... My truck would be totaled with 5k in damages and I'd be screwed. I bought it new in 2005 for 35k and it's still like new body wise, but it's blue book value is around 7k now.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
quote:
but when he came out with the holier than thou superiority complex and started insulting others, that's too much.

Not the first time.

Well, the good news is that the bully finally chose the wrong thread to show his ass in. If he thinks this is going to be forgotten or just go away he is mistaken.

I forgot to mention that in re-reading it he made another false claim - that's it's illegal in 'some states' to have a hitch installed while not towing. That's also wrong, it is not illegal in any state. That's why he didn't list any names or a link to a law - it doesn't exist.

I tried like 3 times to end this on the top of page 2, explaining that I fully supported his right to take his hitch off and that I didn't see things his way. But no, he couldn't accept that and started his binge of made up bullshit and personal attacks to try to justify his position.

Every 'fact' he trotted out to justify his personal attacks has been proven to be false. So either he made an innocent mistake, which anyone can do, and based his opinion on bogus facts, or he was intentionally lying in order to justify his attacks. If he made an innocent mistake, all he needs to do is come in and apologize for attacking BBS and anyone who has a hitch installed on their truck.

It's really that simple, and it's not going away until he addresses it or parabellum or a moderator directs otherwise.

- John Adams