SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air you with the Amish ? or agin the Amish ? when it comes to milk
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air you with the Amish ? or agin the Amish ? when it comes to milk Login/Join 
posted
When it comes to purchasing your Organic milk.
http://www.thegazette.com/subj...milk-battle-20170705

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am Switzerland in the milk battle. I only drink chocolate milk.
True Moo.
My cat loves it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Like everything else big business/co-opts push the smaller farmer out of business. It shouldn't be hard to tell the difference in what is truly organic, but with labeling laws some can make you thing you are getting organic but it is really not.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Your title is gibberish.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Your title is gibberish.

No, that's just Bendable-speak.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Neither.

The Colossal Hoax Of Organic Agriculture

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I'm so confused. That link was not much of an article, but in scrolling through the photos I saw the use of a tractor. I was surprised, so I googled "do Amish use tractors?" The answer is sometimes, yes.

But now I don't understand why there are websites such as www.amishamerica.com and www.amishreader.com

Do the Amish use computers?

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I'm so confused. That link was not much of an article, but in scrolling through the photos I saw the use of a tractor. I was surprised, so I googled "do Amish use tractors?" The answer is sometimes, yes.

But now I don't understand why there are websites such as www.amishamerica.com and www.amishreader.com

Do the Amish use computers?

Not as far as the bishop knows. We have a very conservative order of amish in our community. I am friends with several, one that I know has an iphone stashed at the English neighbor's house.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They can use computers, but they have to be made of wood, and coal-fired. And they can't be used for computing.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your title is gibberish.
Ontsa ta know if'n you air agin or air you wif 'em!!

Well...air ya?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Most of Amish farms around here will sell most of their milk to the dairies then keep some for themselves or sell to those that want raw milk (not me). And yes they will use tractors (steel wheels), weedeaters, generators and telephones (land line & cell) but none of these things are allowed in the house. Funny to see flashing LED lights on the buggies but it keep them safer on the roads. There is an live stock auction house not to far from I have been to where the auction clerk (big fat Amishman in his straw hat and handmade pants, shirt and coat) pecking away on a computer keyboard, I forgot no shoes. They are very nice folks but does take some work to get them to warm up a bit, they like to keep to themselves. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ontsa ta know if'n you air agin or air you wif 'em!!

Thank you for the clarification, I am not fluent in bendable myself, but I find his topic choices rather entertaining and well you know, "Different". Posts about favorite socks and best kitchen towels are welcome.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think if the dairy farmers would take a good hard look at the crop farmers and their history , they would learn a great lesson and be much happier in the long run.

but , NO o o o o o o o

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Amishamed to say if I air or arain't.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the history of crop farmers? I do not get the History Channel Farm edition. Thanks

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your title is gibberish.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Need to clarify.... are you talking "aim-ish" or "ahmm-ish"?

Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead it has been Amish farmers who, in their suspenders and wide-brimmed hats, have helped develop one of the densest clusters of organic farms in the United States.

I'm confused, are they talking Amish or Hipster?
Amish or Hipster

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no opinion on the milk issue. Can't hardly stomach the stuff anymore.

The Amish, on the other hand, are a nuisance in my area. They impede traffic, have little concern for the safety of themselves or others on the roads and are generally horrible in regards to how they treat their animals. I would also appreciate more regular personal hygiene from most I have had contact with. Weekly is not sufficient bathing during Midwestern summers.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
70 years ago the midwestern farmers had their own 260 acre farms and rented an additional 160 or 240 acres to farm as well, but alomost all of them had cows ,chickens, sheep or pigs as well.

They were very diverse and as happy is the month is long . ( but they worked 9 hour days , )

Now there are 1/10 the number of farmers , but they are farming corn and beans only (most of them) they are farming 70,000 - 140,000 acres.

they all got way big. now they worry, toil, fret, and whine on a daily basis because all their eggs are in one basket , ( so to speak) instead of four or five.

So when china, or someone decides to buy from Argentina ,instead of Iowa , the prices can go crazy low .
instead of making 14 million , they only turn 4 million.

they need to concentrate on feeding 200 people ,instead of 200,000 people