SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Premade BBQ rubs
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Premade BBQ rubs Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I've pretty much perfected my rubs for various meats. It seems lazy to buy them but there are great ones out there. If I find a good one, I take note of the ingredients.


SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
 
Posts: 6000 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
beancooker (Noah) has developed some pretty darned good DIY rubs and seasoning mixes.



Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
 
Posts: 12111 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have tried a number of rubs over the years, as I do enjoy smoking and grilling outdoors. The one I am using now(for the last 1-2 years) is Famous Dave's Rib Rub. It gives me the flavor that I enjoy on various meats.
 
Posts: 5254 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I am not a typical fan of store bought rubs mainly because of the amount of salt used in them. I estimate they use about 50% more than needed.

Because of this, I make my own.
^^ THIS ^^

Many years ago, Amazingribs.com got me hooked on dry brining (1/2 tsp salt per pound of boneless meat or 1/4 tsp salt per pound of bone-in meat). Therefore, most of the time I make my own salt free rub. It's great because I'm using less salt overall and the meat is getting the benefit of dry brining.

However, I do use premade rubs from time to time. Currently, in my pantry is:
  • Head country championship seasoning original. More of a classic rib rub. It's pretty good but not as good as homemade.
  • HEB Texas originals brisket rub. Don't care for it on large cuts of meats, but like it on steak.
  • Bad Byrons butt rub. This was a Sigforum recommendation from when I was looking for a rub good for someone on keto. It's delicious and a nice break from sugary rib rubs.
  • Dizzy pig salt free dizzy dust. Haven't tried it yet, but heard good things and picked it up when I saw it at Ace True Value Hardware. In Texas, Ace True Value Hardware has a great BBQ section with BGE's, lump charcoal, smoking woods, pellets, sauces, and rubs.

    A few years ago, a buddy was working a project in Memphis and sent me a bottle of Memphis Barbeque Co Ultimate BBQ Rub and it was fantastic. Supposedly, they are 4 time world champions.



    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

    DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 19771 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    I agree that many are too salty. I prefer a simple rub, and even salt and pepper are just fine. A few light additions of paprika, cumin, garlic, and oregano are fine, but don't go overboard.

    The rub shouldn't dominate. Smoked meat should dominate.




    The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
     
    Posts: 49342 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Savor the limelight
    posted Hide Post
    Got a Weber Smokey Mountain for Christmas and have done ribs, chicken, and pork butts on it, so I'm way at the beginning of the learning curve. I used a store bought mix on the ribs and chicken. The pork butts got one I made with a recipe off the web.

    Everything turned out really good, but I think less salt would be better. Also, the rub for the pork butts had way too much paprika and I caked the rub on. It really didn't need that much, but I'm learning.
     
    Posts: 6555 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Member
    Picture of lastmanstanding
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by trapper189:
    Got a Weber Smokey Mountain for Christmas and have done ribs, chicken, and pork butts on it, so I'm way at the beginning of the learning curve. I used a store bought mix on the ribs and chicken. The pork butts got one I made with a recipe off the web.

    Everything turned out really good, but I think less salt would be better. Also, the rub for the pork butts had way too much paprika and I caked the rub on. It really didn't need that much, but I'm learning.

    Tip for pork butts. Don't waste the rub on the raw pork butt. It all cooks off during the cook and you do not get one ounce of benefit from it. I wait until I pull it for pulled pork and then add the rub. That's where you will get the benefit of whatever rub you choose to use. Rubs aren't cheap to buy or make so you will save yourself some money as well.


    "Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton
     
    Posts: 7242 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
  • Bad Byrons butt rub. This was a Sigforum recommendation from when I was looking for a rub good for someone on keto. It's delicious and a nice break from sugary rib rubs.


  • That's my go-to premade rub. When I'm not going for something specific, I'm not smoking Texas-style beef, and don't feel like making my own rub, I reach for the Butt Rub. It's good on just about every BBQ meat, but especially pork.
     
    Posts: 26730 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RogueJSK:
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
  • Bad Byrons butt rub. This was a Sigforum recommendation from when I was looking for a rub good for someone on keto. It's delicious and a nice break from sugary rib rubs.


  • That's my go-to premade rub. When I'm not going for something specific, I'm not smoking Texas-style beef, and don't feel like making my own rub, I reach for the Butt Rub. It's good on just about every BBQ meat, but especially pork.
    I found the original thread where I got the Bad Byron recommendation and it was you



    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

    DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
     
    Posts: 19771 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
      Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
     

    SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Premade BBQ rubs

    © SIGforum 2021