SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford Ranger needs work - what should I do with it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Ranger needs work - what should I do with it? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I just confirmed that you have to pull the whole dash to replace the heater core. I thought so but wasn't sure. The "book" time is 9.3 hours. The whole engine (minus transfer of parts like manifolds, valve covers and oil pan) is 6.9, by contrast.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Wow. I thought it was a PITA to replace the heater core on my GTO and 442...where you have to remove the passenger fender (or cut a hole in the fender liner). Remove the entire dash...sheesh!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
As others have said, can you get a another truck with the same or better features for less than $5k? If the answer is No, then fix the truck.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Not familiar with that engine but...
I tend to lean towards rebuilding, that way I know what I have.

That thing should have been noticeably missing.
Zero compression on no 5! None at all?

That's not that many miles...
When I had a similar issue I had a mechanic Scope the cyl in question and do a leak down test to help determine where the problem was. Found two badly burnt valves. Pulled the head got a valve job and she was good to go.

You beat me to it, burnt valves a good possibility.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post