Find
Notify
Tools

Car Wax Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
bigdeal, though I can no longer do the detailing myself, I still follow the threads with interest. In the past I've always had an affinity for Pinnacle products and used many time Pinnacle Souveran spray wax between detailings to bring back the fresh wax shine, especially on my red or black vehicles. Was always satisfied with the results. The Auto Geek LINK>>>> Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax
Yep, the Pinnacle line is owned by Autogeek and offers excellent products. Its just a bit pricey for me given I maintain three to five cars that belong to us (and a number of others randomly) throughout the year and go through quite a bit of product.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want something relatively inexpensive and easy to work with, Zymol is great as is Maguire's Ultimate paste wax. Zainadine and the other systems have great reviews but I have not used them so I cannot speak to how the incremental benefit compares to the added work.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My 03 F150 has developed water spots, (black paint) from a sprinkler near it on the hood and side. The side is easy to get off, the hood, no so much, in fact it's etched into the paint from the heat/sun exposure here.

I've used Maquires water spot remover to some success, and have some new water spot remover spray I'm going to try this week. Also had to use a small orbital and polish compound to get it off.

Read where vinegar might be a good solution, so I may try that as well, just to see, I"ve waxed it, polish etc nothing seems to last down here vs the sun and the hard water...

Got a bottle of Rejex for the bike, I'm thinking I'll clean the truck, polish, vinegar, nuke the spots off and then coat with Rejex

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
My 03 F150 has developed water spots, (black paint) from a sprinkler near it on the hood and side. The side is easy to get off, the hood, no so much, in fact it's etched into the paint from the heat/sun exposure here.

I've used Maquires water spot remover to some success, and have some new water spot remover spray I'm going to try this week. Also had to use a small orbital and polish compound to get it off.

Read where vinegar might be a good solution, so I may try that as well, just to see, I"ve waxed it, polish etc nothing seems to last down here vs the sun and the hard water...

Got a bottle of Rejex for the bike, I'm thinking I'll clean the truck, polish, vinegar, nuke the spots off and then coat with Rejex
Here ya go. Mike Phillips is the cream of the detailing crop, so his suggestions can be trusted.

https://www.autogeekonline.net...ater-spots-hand.html

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonATI:
After using Zaino for about 15 years I decided to try Blackfire and it seems to leave a slicker surface and more depth to the finish.

I used Zaino exclusively back when I had my CLK430. I've not heard of Blackfire. I'll have to look into it.

True story: I was on an auto forum in those days, and the forum operators banned any discussion of Zaino products, as it was unfair to the rest of the products!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Here ya go. Mike Phillips is the cream of the detailing crop, so his suggestions can be trusted.

https://www.autogeekonline.net...ater-spots-hand.html

Thanks

That's where I got the vinegar idea, going to wash it down this evening and see if it works, tried it on a mirror and small section at lunch it took some off but it's going to take a bit more work.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
True story: I was on an auto forum in those days, and the forum operators banned any discussion of Zaino products, as it was unfair to the rest of the products!
Who owned that auto forum? The moderators on Autogeek's forum make no bones about there being no promotion of products they don't sell on their website, on their forum.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a 08' Expedition with dark blue pearl metallic (dark blue) and live in the Fort Lauderdale area. I have used Zymoil on my truck a very long time and it easily goes 6 months down here.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well got it washed at the local wash since I had a free card from Christmas, it took a lot of the spots off, still had quiet a bit to do, clayed the surface, then hit the hard to remove spots with a spot remover, then used a small orbital polisher to remove what was left.

Finished it off with Rejex, hopefully that will build a nice shield against future water spotting

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well got it washed at the local wash since I had a free card from Christmas, it took a lot of the spots off, still had quiet a bit to do, clayed the surface, then hit the hard to remove spots with a spot remover, then used a small orbital polisher to remove what was left.

Finished it off with Rejex, hopefully that will build a nice shield against future water spotting
And yet you provided us with no gratuitous after shots. Come on! Razz

posted Hide Post
So, I'm supposed to wash my car?

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
So, I'm supposed to wash my car?

Heck no. That's what rain is for.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Bigdeal, I confess that I don't take the time to detail my cars anymore. When I did do full details back in the olden days and hung out with a few car buffs, Malms Wax was supposed to be the end-all for the serious detailers. It may be that they have long been passed by. Have you used Malms before?

http://www.malms.com/

quote:
quote:

And yet you provided us with no gratuitous after shots. Come on! Razz

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
This is the side hit with all the water spots, it came out pretty good the hood needs to be repainted at some point, it's got several of road nicks even with the factory bug deflector.

The roof needs work, I'll need to get some serious compounds to work out the faded paint up top, FL sun is relentless and it spends a lot of time outside, maybe I'll put it in the garage from now on...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the side hit with all the water spots, it came out pretty good the hood needs to be repainted at some point, it's got several of road nicks even with the factory bug deflector.
Maybe replace it with a Cervini's cowl induction hood. Those look awesome on the HD's.
quote:
The roof needs work, I'll need to get some serious compounds to work out the faded paint up top, FL sun is relentless and it spends a lot of time outside, maybe I'll put it in the garage from now on...
Be very. very, careful with the roof. Ford has been notorious in the past for putting a super thin coat of paint up there. I've seen more than one example where someone buffed right through the clear and color coat. Thank god its wasn't me. Smile Your truck looks pretty darn good! And black is a nightmare to maintain.

You guys inspired me to get outside this past weekend when my wife was gone and do some detailing of my own on my old F-150. After two washes, a clay down, swirl correction, finishing polish, paint sealant, and a final coat of pure carnuba, I'm not sure exactly where the hood ends and the garage starts. Razz I love my truck.

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Meguiers is my favorite.

I've used their stuff on my 1999 F150 since new.

And the Harley as well.

But you wanna talk about something that takes a lot of waxing....
Twice a year, every year !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I'll wash my truck every month when it's warm, in the winter I'll go to the car wash to get the salt off.
On scratches and other small issues I'll use the clay bar. Once I started using "Ice", I never went back to regular paste wax. It might not last as long but I can do the entire truck in an 1/2 hour.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Oh...My...God!!! I think I'd have a coronary before I got done with that thing!

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's a shoulder workout !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's a shoulder workout !
I've already got a damaged rotator in my right shoulder. That thing would totally do me in.