Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Wax Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted
Time to dust off a couple toys. I used to use Meguiars 3 step, cleaner polish and wax. I haven't done too much detailing on my rides the last couple years. What do you guys like that makes your paint shine and stays on so washing the dirt and bugs off is easier?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
Collinite #845

Posts: 4334 | Location: Erie, Pa, USA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have done well in the past with Both Zymol and Klasse cleaner/waxes.

Then I REALLY got interested in detailing. Now I give them a good, proper washing. Then clean the contaminants off with a clay bar.

I then use a series of compounds and waxes, with an orbital polisher, as that paint requires.

I do occasionally get lazy and go back to a liquid wax on a soft buffing pad.

You can also use a sealant or even a ceramic coating as well as traditional waxes.

http://www.autogeek.net/carwax.html

Go to the link and you can see Your options.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Everything you wanted to know and more:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/8250011024/p/1

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
After using Zaino for about 15 years I decided to try Blackfire and it seems to leave a slicker surface and more depth to the finish.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonATI:
After using Zaino for about 15 years I decided to try Blackfire and it seems to leave a slicker surface and more depth to the finish.

Thank you for that praise, as I have some coming my way for the new Challenger!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
You sir have an uphill battle. White is the one color I struggle most with detailing as developing any real depth of shine is near impossible. Just an aspect of white in general. Upside though, its probably the best color out there for hiding any sort of scratches. By contrast, this is my Arizona Beige metallic (actually Gold) 2001 F150 daily driver I love to detail because of what I can pull out of the paint, after... Smile
  • wash
  • clay
  • wash
  • dry
  • scratch repair with the DA
  • polish for depth with the DA
  • synthetic sealer by hand
  • spray quick detailer with carnuba to add shine and pick up any final dust.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Time to dust off a couple toys. I used to use Meguiars 3 step, cleaner polish and wax. I haven't done too much detailing on my rides the last couple years. What do you guys like that makes your paint shine and stays on so washing the dirt and bugs off is easier?
There really is no right or easy answer to your questions. There are a plethora of terrific detailing products available to you. The only limiting factors are the amount you're willing to shell out and how much time you're willing to commit to the process. Autogeek is a terrific website full of great information. They also run a forum much like this one for detailers. Join it and ask some questions there. Not unlike SigForum, there is an abundance of knowledge and willingness to share on that forum as well.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
Bigdeal I know what you mean about getting depth with a white car, my wife has a Murano that appears to be the same color as your truck and I also have a metallic blue Accord.
The pics are just taken with my phone so that leaves something to be desired here's one more trying to get a better angle, by the way its not white it's Glacier Pearl Smile

Krazeehorse I also used Autogeek to find all the products and helpful video.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bigdeal I know what you mean about getting depth with a white car, my wife has a Murano that appears to be the same color as your truck...
Nope, my truck is gold, somewhat darker, and metallic. All good things when it comes to trying to pull out depth. I'll hunt around and see if I can find a pic of a Lexus I detailed for a friend some time ago. That car has a deep blue metallic finish, that when I was done with it, looked like a pool of cold water. The guy who owned the car told me the paint looked as if it was going to run off the metal. I was very pleased with how it turned out, but would never want to own any color that dark given it gets dirty quick, and every scratch stands out.

I hope your Murano is Nissan's Pearl White That pearl color is something you can do good things to by detailing it.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
.....I've got a Jeep. Don't want any wax appearing to beTOO civilized....

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
The Murano is Gray Metallic.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Bandit:
Collinite #845

Collinite makes great products,all of them are quality. I use a lot of their different products in my marine business.

To the OP: if it's been a long time since it's been done, pay a professional to do it would be the best recommendation. If you insist on doing it yourself, wash it with dawn soap, then clay bar the vehicle, then wax it....I like zymoil personally.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Like others here, I tend to go a little over the top in my paint care. Their recommendations are good.

I've recently begun using a decent spray wax between details, say every 1 to 3 washes depending on time intervals. It has made a HUGE difference in the frequency of having to go full bore again, and I'll continue this regimen I think.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Like others here, I tend to go a little over the top in my paint care. Their recommendations are good.

I've recently begun using a decent spray wax between details, say every 1 to 3 washes depending on time intervals. It has made a HUGE difference in the frequency of having to go full bore again, and I'll continue this regimen I think.

I do this also. The big and extensive clay-bar, polish and buff is only once a year. Light washing and a spray wax between.

I still prefer washwaxALL for detail spray.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make a holster for a square quart bottle? I hate buffing the Boat on a ladder and not having the bottle at hand.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
I looks like on autogeek they have some pouches that would hold a square bottle.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've recently begun using a decent spray wax between details...
Which one? I'm curious. This is the most recent spray wax I'm using on our cars and I really like it. http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
bigdeal, though I can no longer do the detailing myself, I still follow the threads with interest. In the past I've always had an affinity for Pinnacle products and used many time Pinnacle Souveran spray wax between detailings to bring back the fresh wax shine, especially on my red or black vehicles. Was always satisfied with the results. The Auto Geek LINK>>>> Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
I've recently begun using a decent spray wax between details...
Which one? I'm curious. This is the most recent spray wax I'm using on our cars and I really like it. http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html

I've become a regular user of products from Chemical Guys, and use this InstaWax product mostly. It's a little heavier than some of the parts-store products and takes a little longer to dry/buff out, but still holds up well it seems.

Even something as easy and cheap as Mequiar's Quick Wax seems to work pretty good, I actually got started with that on my son's car.

A little off topic, but if y'all are ever looking for a good fabric/carpet cleaner, the CG Fabric and Carpet Clean stuff is awesome! Just used it cleaning up two cars we were selling with great results.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post