SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School me on gunsmithing files
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on gunsmithing files Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
Are files used in gunsmithing made just for gunsmithing, or are they from other trades, like jewlers, mahinists, etc . On my last project fitting a new magazine catch, I used a set of "jewlers" files from the hardware store, and they were super cheap. I got the job done, but I could tell these weren't the best file for the job. But I don't know which type of file I really needed for the job. All I figure is the file I needed probably cost more than $8 for a set of jewlers files from Harbor Freight.

Any advice along these lines appreciated. I don't mind spending a little coin on better quality files, I just don't know which type of files to buy - types, specifications, etc. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to files. I read a bunch of stuff about files possibly related to gunsmithing on the internet, but I'm pretty much just as confused as before.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I can't answer your question specifically, but I recommend you order Brownells catalog. It's something I just enjoy looking at. Lots of great info and ideas, a wish book, if you will.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Kobalt files from Lowes are not that great. I use Nicholson files exclusively, they are sharper and last longer.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A lot of uses for them working in firearms. Most round work, lathe for barrels and other parts, breaking square and sharp edges while the piece is chucked or centered. Various stones you will need also. Brownells has specific files for checkering and stones/ fixtures for other uses. Ebay is awsome for prices on new and new early American files. Even new boxes of files for good prices. In the jewlers/ Swiss patterns, spend some coin and get a set and then more of Swiss made Grobet files. Those are the real deal and no cheap awkward copy will ever be better. Pherd of Germany made and still makes high quality files, including Swiss pattern. Do your homework on uses of various flat files, safe side files, knife and othet styles as they all have specific uses. As I said, you can find early American files, New on Ebay. We knew about cutting metals. Even some very high quality Japan made files on that site. Now, to learn to remove metal carefully and safely...practice on scrap how to carefully and artfully, shape, remove and hold close dimensions on scrap. Grow your talent.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I've attended Machine Trades School twice. 1st Project the teacher assigned us to, we cut bar stock oversize with a hack saw. He gave each of us a smooth flat file which looked like a paint stir stick. Had a hole in it to hang it up. Aside from the machined features on the part, we had to true it up by hand. Dimension, square, parallel and perpendicular within 1/64". .015". Small a class as we were, the entire class except David Lee, was back, some twice more, running that hack saw to get a new piece of stock. A 64th huh ? I held all my numbers on that bar to .001". My teacher was pleased but befuddled... Big Grin.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
An Amazon-vendor's set of "Grobet Swiss Pattern Needle Files 5-1/2 Inch Set of 12 Cut 2" is $84.

A couple years ago I managed to get two similar Nicholson sets for $35 each from a guy selling closeouts. I use four or five of the 12 fairly regularly but all of them are useful.

One of my files, 12" I think, is from a welders supply house a friend got for me but I want to visit myself next time and get one slightly different, with a smooth side edge. An 8" finely-made bastard file I got on Jewelers Row for $15 is Grobet, has the single smooth edge.

Then there are a handful of Grobet jewelers files I've had for almost 20 years, different shapes, which are still pressed into service. Plus another handful of small wood files, again of various shapes, acquired through yard sale and inheritance, which all find their way from storage onto the work table at one time or another.

I'll start a project, then another, and so on. The files come out of hiding and arrange themselves in groups on the table as one or another is wanted. Then when all the work is done, I'll realize practically every file I own is on the table, they'll get reorganized, and again stored until next time.

Here's the set I have, and will probably end up at about $60

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nicho...9526.m4383.l4275.c10

Here is a used set of Nicholsons.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nicho...6:g:A2oAAOSw5ipapXzb

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That is a good price on the Grobet needle files. Actual jewlers files I've owned by the boxes full. Some very old and still new. Foil wrapped by the dozen and their cutting surface so fine, my eyes could not see and I could not feel the teeth. I used to aw at the perfection of slide serrations on the sight plain of a Les Baer 1911 slide. He cut them by hand in the early days. Beautiful work. Most quality checkering is still performed by hand. BTW OP, I've seen those sets of Grobet needle files bring $ 150.00 on line.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Do your homework as most of the Nicholson files are China or Mexico now. The older sets were American made. If you did side by side metal work with them and Swiss made, you will find how crude the foreign made cheap files can be.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'd also recommend having a file card / brush and chalk for keeping them clean.
It's sad how many people don't use files correctly. When I see someone grab one and start yanking it back and forth like a saw blade I want to punch them,.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Do your homework as most of the Nicholson files are China or Mexico now. The older sets were American made. If you did side by side metal work with them and Swiss made, you will find how crude the foreign made cheap files can be.

The $4 Asian set of a dozen needle files might get you through one small job but it is hard getting control and decent results with crappy tools.

The Grobets are coming in both Swiss and Italian now. On the first Nicholson link (blue case) you can see Swiss made and a 12/04 date. The second link, the red case, I'd bet are USA production.

My blue-cased sets, I see no date. Being anal, I took off the stickers on the cases and cleaned the goo off with naphtha. The knurled handles are roll-stamped "Nicholson Swiss-made". I think some of my wood files are from Mexico but I use "metal" files on wood all the time.

I've also got nine precision Uo-Chikyu files from Hiroshima. 0.010" to 0.056" The Japanese make very nice small hand tools.

You can't have enough variety. Eventually you'll find a use for them all. If I were to buy only two, they'd be Grobet, a mouse-tail and an 8" flat bastard double cut top and bottom with one single cut edge and one smooth edge.

Some of the best deals are at hardware store closeouts, when all the far-flung drawers and cubbies get cleaned out. Boxes of files with 1950s pricing on them. Cool Just like with land, they ain't making any more of it.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Chalk your files before use to keep them from clogging up with metal bits. Brownells carries the chalk (it is just regular blackboard chalk).

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is against all the rules, but some good, fine diamond stones have multiple uses. They don’t replace files, but they complement my work.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post