SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Russia’s First Floating Nuclear Power Plant Arrives in the Arctic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russia’s First Floating Nuclear Power Plant Arrives in the Arctic Login/Join 
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
What could possibly go wrong?

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
What could possibly go wrong?

"Other than the Earth shattering Kaboom?" asks Marvin ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I am no green peacer but that sounds like a horrible horrible idea.

These are my thought exactly. But we do have many nuclear ships and subs that seem to do fine.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
For those who asked how bad could it be, it could be very bad. For a U 235 to fission, it must first absorb a neutron that has been attenuated to 2.4 Mev. Once absorbed, it becomes U236 and splits creating energy and some particles including a couple of neutrons which when attenuated, start the next chain of fissions. The more water there is, the more attenuated neutrons there are, the more neutrons, the more fission. Normally, water that attenuates the neutrons heat up and lose their attenuating ability, that ain’t going to happen in the ocean.
Thanks so much for putting my concerns to rest. Razz Wink I'm no nuclear researcher or scientist, but I think I'd agree this is likely a very bad idea, one we could all end up reaping the 'fallout' from.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

These are my thought exactly. But we do have many nuclear ships and subs that seem to do fine.

The two most obvious differenced are We vs. They (which has been mentioned) and the great difference in the amount of nuclear fuel (which I'd not yet noticed in this thread). One could reasonably assume they'll have this thing scaled up to produce a massive amount of power. It's size indicates that is so. It's not a garage for the worlds second largest air-force. It's all nuclear power plant. And it appears rather huge.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
In post-Soviet Russia, atom splits you.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Looks like a decent idea to me. Any accidents or fires or explosions and the damn thing sinks to the bottom. The ocean contains radiation much better than a Chernobyl.

I’d actually like to see nuclear expansion. The worlds top 100 to 200 freighters/tankers should be nuclear powered in my opinion. The amount of oil these ships consume is mind boggling.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
How is this any different than an aircraft carrier?

For one, this thing would probably have more room for backups and spares, not having to dedicate space for planes, fuel, weaponry, ammo, missiles, etc.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It uses a modified version of the same reactors they already run in Icebreakers and their nuke powered freighter. Not exactly new or untested technology. It's also replacing an old Soviet Era graphite-moderated nuke plant. So the total safety is probably going up quite a bit.

At least the Russians are actually doing something about power production rather than messing around with Solar plants (Ivanpah) that barely work and windmills that can't be scaled.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Not to mention nuclear submarines. They have lots of those. And they've disposed of a lot of the earlier generations of them...

... badly.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Russia has nuclear powered surface ships.

<snip>

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
They must not get episodes of Deadliest Catch in Russia.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Nevertheless, that thing is pretty cool.

I agree, though I'd rather it never be active. I'd love to see more details on the construction and operation..

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogmush:
It uses a modified version of the same reactors they already run in Icebreakers and their nuke powered freighter. Not exactly new or untested technology. It's also replacing an old Soviet Era graphite-moderated nuke plant. So the total safety is probably going up quite a bit.

At least the Russians are actually doing something about power production rather than messing around with Solar plants (Ivanpah) that barely work and windmills that can't be scaled.
The billion dollar question is what happens to the hull when they moor it over winter (BTW, in the arctic that is September thru mid-June) to power remote coastal cities in the arctic circle? If you look at the pic in the OP's post, it's sitting on two barges not an ice breaker.

I found this article on Yahoo stating that the destination port is Pevek which is in the arctic circle and they're not going around "the horn" (aka the Chukotka Peninsula) into the sub-arctic region.

A few years ago, a Finnish ice breaker leased to Shell for their drilling campaign in the Alaska side of the Chukchi Sea (aka the same sea in the Arctic Ocean the floating Russian nuclear power plant is heading) managed to get a 1 meter long hull breach. In '81, Canada even managed to sink an icebreaker. If that can happen to a Finnish and Canadian ice breakers, imagine what can happen to a Russian barge?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

We don't keep our nuclear powered ships and subs tethered to a fixed location all winter surrounded by ice.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Just a thought, and I don't know how this will work. If it's a pressure water design, it's going to have a secondary cooling loop that's going to be used to generate steam for the turbines. This is going to need a condenser. That waste heat could be used to melt any ice that might try and build up around it.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

The billion dollar question is what happens to the hull when they moor it over winter (BTW, in the arctic that is September thru mid-June) to power remote coastal cities in the arctic circle? If you look at the pic in the OP's post, it's sitting on two barges not an ice breaker.

I found this article on Yahoo stating that the destination port is Pevek which is in the arctic circle and they're not going around "the horn" (aka the Chukotka Peninsula) into the sub-arctic region.

A few years ago, a Finnish ice breaker leased to Shell for their drilling campaign in the Alaska side of the Chukchi Sea (aka the same sea in the Arctic Ocean the floating Russian nuclear power plant is heading) managed to get a 1 meter long hull breach. In '81, Canada even managed to sink an icebreaker. If that can happen to a Finnish and Canadian ice breakers, imagine what can happen to a Russian barge?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
From the makers of the Trabant

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It'll come from beneath the sea …

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Just a thought, and I don't know how this will work. If it's a pressure water design, it's going to have a secondary cooling loop that's going to be used to generate steam for the turbines. This is going to need a condenser. That waste heat could be used to melt any ice that might try and build up around it.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Assuming (and it's a BIG assumption as the arctic ocean is a huge heat sink) that the heat can be used to melt the ice, what happens during unplanned downtime (pump failure, pipe leak, switchgear blowing on electric pump, etc)? The Russians aren't known for their redundancy and when (not if) it goes down it's crushing time on the barges and they will be faced with a nuclear reactor sinking with water temps that make personnel survival time very short. Can they shut it off in a controlled manner before abandoning?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post