SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Russia’s First Floating Nuclear Power Plant Arrives in the Arctic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russia’s First Floating Nuclear Power Plant Arrives in the Arctic Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Think Russia cares a wit what Greenpeace has to say? Nah, me neither.

Russia’s First Floating Nuclear Power Plant Arrives in the Arctic
May 21, 2018 by Reuters

The Russian “Academy Lomonosov”, the world’s first floating nuclear power plant, passes Langeland island, while heading for Murmansk in northwestern Russia, in Denmark, May 4, 2018. Ritzau Scanpix/Tim Kildeborg Jensen/via REUTERS

By Vladimir Soldatkin MOSCOW, May 21 (Reuters) – Russia’s first-floating nuclear power plant arrived in the Arctic port of Murmansk over the weekend in preparation for its maiden mission, providing electricity to an isolated Russian town across the Bering Strait from Alaska.

The state company behind the plant, called the “Akademik Lomonosov,” says it could pioneer a new power source for remote regions of the planet, but green campaigners have expressed concern about the risk of nuclear accidents. Greenpeace has called it the “nuclear Titanic.”

Russian state nuclear company Rosatom, which developed the floating power plant, said that it docked the unit in Murmansk on Saturday where it was towed from St Petersburg, the city where it was built.

In Murmansk it will take on board a supply of nuclear fuel. It will then will be towed to the town of Pevek in the Far Eastern region of Chukotka, separated from the U.S. state of Alaska by the 86-km (53 miles) wide Bering Strait. It will start operations there next year.

The plant will replace a coal-fired power plant and an aging nuclear power plant supplying more than 50,000 people with electricity in Chukotka, Rosatom said.

Rosatom has long planned to launch the sea-borne power units, which, with their mobile, small capacity plants, are best suited to remote regions. It says they can help the environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions blamed for global warming.

The small plants were designed to make it possible to supply electricity to hard-to-reach areas of Russia. They can operate non-stop without the need for refueling for 3-5 years.

Environmental protection groups, including Greenpeace, have sent a letter to Rosatom boss Alexei Likhachyov demanding strict adherence to safety standards and saying they were watching the floating facility’s development “with great concern.”

The letter calls for full and unrestricted regulatory oversight by the Russian nuclear regulator and an international study into the environmental impact before the reactors are loaded with fuel and tested.

“Nuclear reactors bobbing around the Arctic Ocean will pose a shockingly obvious threat to a fragile environment which is already under enormous pressure from climate change,” Jan Haverkamp, nuclear expert for Greenpeace Central and Eastern Europe, said in a statement last month. (Reporting by Vladimir Soldatkin and Katya Golubkova in Moscow and Geert De Clercq in Brussels)

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018.

Link

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chernobyl 2.0

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am no green peacer but that sounds like a horrible horrible idea.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Vegas has an over/under on this thing.

No way this ends well. At some point down the road, this is going to be a disaster.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Chernobyl 2.0

How much damage could a Chernobyl event under water pose?

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
How is this any different than an aircraft carrier?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
d
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:

Ours or theirs? Oh, they don't have any. Too complex to run for long. The Ruskies seem to have some pretty good engineering. No idea how they can run it.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Seems like a very powerful tool to have at your disposal. I'm a little jealous.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

What could go wrong?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Nevertheless, that thing is pretty cool.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
When it comes to Russian machinery, anything more complex than a farm tractor is a disaster waiting to happen. If anyone can fuck this up, they can, and it only takes once.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
d
quote:

Ours or theirs? Oh, they don't have any. Too complex to run for long. The Ruskies seem to have some pretty good engineering. No idea how they can run it.

How much sea ice is in the target area? I don’t think we run our aircraft carriers through icy seas, do we?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I actually think it’s a great idea. I’m not against this idea; I wish we had developed one first (aircraft carriers notwithstanding). I say go for it, and let’s learn from it!

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had something similar 50+ years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MH-1A

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As someone who has managed engineering and construction in the arctic circle, I have to say this is a horrible idea. Ice has unimaginable forces that crush steel hulls like a soda can. There is a reason why oil & gas builds islands and extends penninsula's into the arctic ocean instead of installing platforms (the industry has even looked at platforms with ice breakers continuously circling).

As far as Green Peace and others of their ilk, I triple dog dare them to try to blockade or board this barge. The Russskies treat "eco warriers" like Somali pirates.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
d
quote:

How much sea ice is in the target area? I don’t think we run our aircraft carriers through icy seas, do we?
I've never heard of any country running an aircraft carrier from Murmansk to the Bering Sea. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened but I've never heard of it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
So instead of mutant irradiated lizards we get what......narwhals? Sea lions?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
We had something similar 50+ years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MH-1A

I worked with a guy who ran one of those. Interesting stories.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster had irradiated much of the surrounding seas within a certain radius. And that, from a mother nature inspired tidal wave.

This ... will be a great disaster leading to the third option for the question of which was worse, Chernobyl or Fukushima.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Russia has nuclear powered surface ships. They also have nuclear poweeed satellites. I supposed this is the first purely floating nuclear power plant with the expressed purpose of being a power plant and not just to provide power to a ship.

Their technology is very efficient as they don’t spend much of safety features.

For those who asked how bad could it be, it could be very bad. For a U 235 to fission, it must first absorb a neutron that has been attenuated to 2.4 Mev. Once absorbed, it becomes U236 and splits creating energy and some particles including a couple of neutrons which when attenuated, start the next chain of fissions. The more water there is, the more attenuated neutrons there are, the more neutrons, the more fission. Normally, water that attenuates the neutrons heat up and lose their attenuating ability, that ain’t going to happen in the ocean.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post