SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long does the sellers RE agent have to respond to an offer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long does the sellers RE agent have to respond to an offer? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Here's the most important lesson to come out of this discussion, and one I've learned very well over and over again through personal experience. The vast majority of the real estate 'professionals' you'll come in contact with today border on utter incompetence. I've had 'professionals' send me contract offers that appear to have been written by an eight year old, and are full of holes. If you're going to sell or buy real estate, do yourself a huge favor and spend a couple months educating yourself on the process, then do your level best to qualify the real estate 'professional' you'll be working with. If I had a dollar for every 'pro' I've fired over the past 15 years, well you get the idea.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
"Nothing beats knowing what you doing." -- Me

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If your agent that wrote up your offer can't explain this and didn't specify an expiration time for the offer, you need a new agent.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
When I was selling my home back in NJ, my agent was incompetent. Failing to follow up on more than a few details, never setting up the escrow from the buyer's agent and the worst, telling me to fake the radon test to get the home sold.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those of you who actually posted something helpful.

With the weekend I was not sure I would be able to contact the agent and did not have access to the offer doc.

So as it turns out it was not stated so we wait. The agent knows the listing agent and speaks highly of them so I am fine with that.

Thanks to those who actually help Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks to those of you who actually posted something helpful.

With the weekend I was not sure I would be able to contact the agent and did not have access to the offer doc.

So as it turns out it was not stated so we wait. The agent knows the listing agent and speaks highly of them so I am fine with that.

Thanks to those who actually help Wink

1. You should be given a copy of any legal document when you sign it.
2. There definitely should be an expiration to the offer stated.
3. The contract is mostly between the buyer and seller, not the agents (who they represent and their commission are usually in there).
4. The agent that isn't doing a proper job is assuring you the other agent is a good guy so you should trust him.

Good luck with that. Treating important legal issues like this is how situations get started that help make lawyers a good living

I'm not saying this to give you a hard time but this is the type of stuff that leads to questions later for jhe888 & jallen and other SF legal eagles. An ounce of prevention....

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
A seller has a "reasonable time" to accept or reject an offer that has no expiration date.

They are probably waiting for a better offer or evaluating your offer vs. other offers.

You can revoke the offer as long as they haven't accepted it yet.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Okay guys. My realtor is good. They have done right by me to this point. No complaints.
We have received a counter offer in writing.

Appreciate your help and advice.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post