SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long does the sellers RE agent have to respond to an offer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long does the sellers RE agent have to respond to an offer? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
If an offer is submitted. Is there a certain amount of time the seller's agent has to respond to the buyer's agent in writing.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I believe there is, IF that is spelled out on the offer contract.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
A seller is under no obligation to respond at all. If making an offer when time is important I would put a time limit in your offer. No reply, then move on.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In most states the turn around time is based on the days you stipulate in your offer.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
In most states the turn around time is based on the days you stipulate in your offer.

Correct. And that length of time is typically three days (but it's not a hardfast rule).

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I just sold a condo. The seller put an offer in, good for 48 hours. My freaking selling agent didn't even notify us of the offer until like 2 days after the offer expired. Made excuses, said he didn't check his email for a few days.

Luckily, the potential buyers were still interested after 48 hours and we accepted their offer.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Correct. And that length of time is typically three days (but it's not a hardfast rule).
In each of the RE contracts we've done over the past 10 years, we've noted the other party had 24 hours to respond. That's more than enough time to pull the trigger or counter.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I was selling my folks house, and let the tenents know so they could make an offer. They responded nearly 2 years later. The judge rules in their favor and at their price because the RE agent never put any date on the paperwork. Really. It stills honks me off.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have learned already that the seller has all the power.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You should always specify an ending date on an offer.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have learned already that the seller has all the power.

Perhaps that's because the seller is the owner in possession of the goods. Why should a buyer have any say so beyond the ability to make an offer?

The only real problem I have with how the real estate system works is that they are allowed to list property at a low price with no intention of selling it for that price.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I just sold a condo. The seller put an offer in, good for 48 hours. My freaking selling agent didn't even notify us of the offer until like 2 days after the offer expired. Made excuses, said he didn't check his email for a few days.

Luckily, the potential buyers were still interested after 48 hours and we accepted their offer.

They made the offer in an e-mail, and didn't follow up with some real form of communication??? That's stupid, and borderline rude, on the part of the buyer's agent. We all know how easy it is to lose an e-mail, and should know better than to rely on one.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
I was selling my folks house, and let the tenents know so they could make an offer. They responded nearly 2 years later. The judge rules in their favor and at their price because the RE agent never put any date on the paperwork. Really. It stills honks me off.

Are you saying the judge didn't let you say no thanks to their offer? I understand an end date on an offer to the seller (to elicit a y/n in a reasonable time frame), but hard to believe you were forced to accept an offer you didn't want. What laws are on the books that compel someone to accept any offer to purchase their house - simply because they are selling it?

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
quote:

Are you saying the judge didn't let you say no thanks to their offer? I understand an end date on an offer to the seller (to elicit a y/n in a reasonable time frame), but hard to believe you were forced to accept an offer you didn't want. What laws are on the books that compel someone to accept any offer to purchase their house - simply because they are selling it?

Yeah, what the freak is going on here? You were forced to accept their offer? That sounds ludicrous.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
quote:

Yeah, what the freak is going on here? You were forced to accept their offer? That sounds ludicrous.

It sounds to me like there was paperwork to the tenants which could be characterized as an offer, with no expiration date.

quote:
the RE agent never put any date on the paperwork.

Thus the tenants accepted the offer, forming a contract on the terms of the offer.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So what if they made an offer. Why couldn't the seller then refuse it? I guess I'm not understanding what happened there.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what if they made an offer. Why couldn't the seller then refuse it? I guess I'm not understanding what happened there.

The owner made some sort of writing offering the property to the tenants. That might be construed as the offer, no expiration. The tenants accepted that offer, two years later, and the contract was formed. Without seeing the "offer" one can't be positive but it sounds to me (and I have significant training and experience in offer acceptance problems! Wink ) like this is what has occurred.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me neither...

Unless the paperwork said something like they would sell the house to the tenants at X price upon tenants acceptance of the offer (with unfortunately no expiration date) then I can see that somehow being weaseled.

But that is a big leap to line that all up and not get some sort of determination that offers have unwritten time limitations (and to me 2 years is a long time to not accept an offer and still expect it to be upheld).

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think that's how it went. I offered it at X price. They said sure, then put me off for some time. Later, a friend who is in RE found a buyer. So I notified them of an impending sale. At this point they found an attorney to represent them. They show up in court with a photocopy of the contract, and it had the date removed (white-out then copy). The judge accepted this bullshit copy and said they had priority, and said since there was no closing date, so the terms were still valid. The buyers had a very spotty payment record. The property was in a Renaissance zone. (no tax zone). Within a year or so the attorney they had wound up with the property. The RE agent apologized, but I was then one with the 2x4 in the rectum.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post