SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    all this bargining with felons and Recidivism
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

all this bargining with felons and Recidivism Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Probably not much. Deterrence through potential punishment in general isn't very effective when dealing with true criminals/predators.

True criminal don't think like you and me. A normal person will stop and consider stuff like "I don't want to commit that crime that because I don't want to go to prison for X number of years/become a felon/lose my rights/become a social outcast/potentially have my organs forcibly harvested/etc."

Many/most serious criminals seem lack the ability - or at least the desire - to anticipate consequences and weigh the costs/benefits to make rational decisions. They do stuff because it gets them what they want right now, and the future be damned.

Even among the ones who have the ability to consider potential consequences, many seem to have an attitude of "I'm invincible"/"they'll never catch me".

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

True criminal don't think like you and me...

Many/most serious criminals seem lack the ability - or at least the desire - to anticipate consequences and weigh the costs/benefits to make rational decisions. They do stuff because it gets them what they want right now, and the future be damned...

Are you a cop?

Reason I ask is I was the victim of a car theft once and the responding detective told me the exact same thing after I said something to the effect of this 'not making sense'...

I learned a lot from the guy. Sadly he was killed in the line of duty a few years later.

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Are you a cop?

Yes.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
How would the "system", "collapse". What system, and what would be the nature of this collapse ?

There isn't enough room to hold all the inmates if everyone served a full sentence for every crime.

There aren't enough court rooms and judges to hold all the trials.

There aren't enough prosecutors to prosecute all the trials.

For that matter, there aren't enough defense attorneys if every single case when to trial.

Keep in mind that a defendant has the right to a speedy trial... here that means within six months unless waived by the defense.

In my county:

If every single speeding ticket went to a hearing, if every single dog at large summons or ATV on the public highway or fishing without a license (misdemeanor in CO) summons went to trial there's no way you could possibly fit them all in in six months.

We have an average of 12 traffic tickets show up to court every Monday. Those are the ones who don't pay and decided to go to court. If every single one went to a hearing that's about an hour per hearing. That's a day and a half of the judge's time every week JUST for traffic tickets... plus the officers' time as well.... 6 days of court time per month.

Every Tuesday we have an average of 15 persons summoned for mostly minor criminal offenses. If every one of those went to trial, it would be an average of two days per trial... that's thirty days of trials EVERY WEEK... 120 days of trials every month.

We have probably an average of 20 people per month who appear in custody for more serious crimes. Conservatively, if we estimate 4 days per trial for each of those that's 80 more days per month of court time.

That's 206 DAYS of court time every month.

Thursdays in District Court are juvenile court. Fridays in District Court are divorce court. Wednesdays in County Court is civil and small claims.

We have two judges, two court rooms and one jury room. We have one prosecutor, one public defender. You couldn't POSSIBLY take every single infraction or offense to hearing or trial.

The same thing happens with more serious crimes: a felony assault takes up our court house for most of a week. A juvenile rape case took, I think, two weeks total.

Larger jurisdictions have similar problems: more resources but also far more cases. NOBODY can afford to have EVERYTHING go full term.

They HAVE to plea out most offenders so they can prosecute the ones who insist on a trial.

A dirty secret in the US judicial system: If everybody insisted on their day in court MOST cases would get dismissed. Jurisdictions simply don't have to resources to hold a trial for everyone.... but EVERYBODY would have to do it.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BBMW:
Why? Our crime rate is similar, if marginally higher than other industrialized western democracies, yet our incarceration rate is multiple times higher.

I doubt our crime rates are similar. (Unless the other countries are doing the following)

Most crime is waaaaayyyyy under reported. IE- Police agencies, especially the larger ones, have a number of tricks to massage their stats. For instance, one agency I know of had outrageous numbers of larceny. All of a sudden, their numbers plummeted. They are way below the national standard. What did they do? They stopped taking reports for shoplifting cases, and other theft that was misdemeanor in nature. Gave the victims a self reporting form to give to their insurance companies and not reported in the NIBRS system. I know of other agencies that classify crimes incorrectly to fix their numbers. Some agencies won't respond to certain types of calls. Some agencies intentionally reclass burglaries to criminal mischief to keep it out of Part 1 crimes.

Now, other nations may be doing the same thing, but I have never heard of it.

I just think there is way more to it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I've specifically heard of it in regard to the UK.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BBMW:
Why? Our crime rate is similar, if marginally higher than other industrialized western democracies, yet our incarceration rate is multiple times higher.

I doubt our crime rates are similar. (Unless the other countries are doing the following)

Most crime is waaaaayyyyy under reported. IE- Police agencies, especially the larger ones, have a number of tricks to massage their stats. For instance, one agency I know of had outrageous numbers of larceny. All of a sudden, their numbers plummeted. They are way below the national standard. What did they do? They stopped taking reports for shoplifting cases, and other theft that was misdemeanor in nature. Gave the victims a self reporting form to give to their insurance companies and not reported in the NIBRS system. I know of other agencies that classify crimes incorrectly to fix their numbers. Some agencies won't respond to certain types of calls. Some agencies intentionally reclass burglaries to criminal mischief to keep it out of Part 1 crimes.

I just think there is way more to it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Cool. I just never have.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:

Japan notoriously classifies murders as suicides.

One reason their suicide rate and murder closure rate are both so high.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I dug this up on UK crime statistics, if anyone cares.

http://www.dailyunconstitution...n-is-lowering-crime/

posted Hide Post
quote:
There isn't enough room to hold all the inmates if everyone served a full sentence for every crime.

b e c a u s e : there is a b s o l u t e l y
no deterrent

Three times the deterrent = 2/3 less crime

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
We have people doing decades for drug dealing. Do you see any drop in drug sales?

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
quote:

no deterrent

posted Hide Post
quote:
We have people doing decades for drug dealing. Do you see any drop in drug sales?

again
if they are not deterred by the currant consequences ,
the punishment is not currently appropriate ,

"Time" is not a deterrent
not short time, not medium time, not long time,
and sure as hell not time on parole.

up the consequences , considerably by donating the offenders organs , hands feet etc.

then we will see a turn around in recidivism.

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So do more of what we're doing that hasn't worked? I don't even think the threat of the death penalty would be a deterrent, seeing as how often these skels get deadified by their "associates".

quote:
quote:

again
if they are not deterred by the currant consequences ,
the punishment is not currently appropriate ,

"Time" is not a deterrent
not short time, not medium time, not long time,
and sure as hell not time on parole.

up the consequences , considerably by donating the offenders organs , hands feet etc.

then we will see a turn around in recidivism.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The entire notion that fear of consequences deters a meaningful number of future potential crimes is flawed in the first place. Same with fines and such.

They just don't work...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
no deterrent

False. Stricter sentences have no statistically significant effect on crime rates or recidivism.

quote:

up the consequences , considerably by donating the offenders organs , hands feet etc

Sharia law has those consequences. There is still crime in Sharia law countries and I don't think such punishments are realistic in a civilized society.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
no deterrent

False. Stricter sentences have no statistically significant effect on crime rates or recidivism.

quote:

up the consequences , considerably by donating the offenders organs , hands feet etc

Sharia law has those consequences. There is still crime in Sharia law countries and I don't think such punishments are realistic in a civilized society.
So, what's the solution then? The current system has proven to be a major clusterf*ck for the vast majority of us. Hell, I agree the current system isn't a deterrent. The way it currently works, it all but promotes these lowlifes to do as they please.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Ok, the consensus answer is to just do nothing.

www.opspectraining.com

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Ok, the consensus answer is to just do nothing.

I don't think there is an answer/solution. I think this problem transcends life. I think it is part of the larger spiritual struggle between good and evil which is preexistent to this life. It is part of the sorting of the wheat and the tares. In this life we choose to either be wheat or tares. To be sheep or goats. That we have chosen to be wheat does not insulate us from the tares. To the contrary, we will have tares among us until the end. Until the two are sorted. What we must do is to remain wheat faithfully to the end in spite of the tares.

But when a tare comes to harm me, my family or the innocent.......I'll have to sort it out myself. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many footless people with one hand , one lung and one kidney has a successful car theft ring going ?

how many meth heads with no eyesight, no hands and one lung are raking in the big bucks , these days?

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

A lot of other countries don't classify some things as crimes...ie drug problems (sales, possession, use)

as mentioned, some departments don't classify crimes properly-ie, a break-in to a car and the larceny there after, is really a felony and is a Class 1 Crime. But if we only report the larceny thereafter then BOOM, Part 1 Crimes are down! YAY for US.....I mention this SPECIFIC crime reporting because I have seen it classified that way for the last decade....

Yet the crime rate is routinely reported to be "down". The guy gathering stats is told to compare the rate against last year or if that's too high then compare it to last month, or this month last year not the entire year...see where I'm going with this.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post