SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plantar faciitis remedy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plantar faciitis remedy Login/Join 
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
get a cortisone shot into where it's hurting.

I battled PF for half a year, before going to a Podiatrist who administered a series of three cortisone shots over about a 4 month period. In addition, I used orthotics from Heel That Pain: https://heelthatpain.com/treat...l-length-heel-seats/

The combination worked slowly, and magically. I have been PF free for over a year now, and run 3x a week with no pain. I still stretch post-run, just to be sure. Switching to high-cushioning Hoka running shoes also played a part.

Good luck.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was diagnosed with PF over a year ago. Went to a PT. He told me that PF can be an over diagnosed condition. He re evaluated me and explained it was not PF but a soleus? injury. Exercises and aggressive therapy that also included dry needling for about 6 weeks. Not an issue since. I now wear better shoes/boots with better arch support and dont wear them past their effective lives. Made a big difference. Sucked while it was in progress however the end result was well worth the cost.

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Dusty, yes I had it 15-20 years ago pretty bad when I worked on my feet extensively.

I might be slightly worse in the am. Not by a lot though.

I wear a lot of different boots and shoes combined with being barefoot some during the summer. That is probably a contributing factor.

Yes it is painful. Debilitating to a degree. But must forge on. Treating it more aggressively. the masking shots are not a good option at this point.

Custom orthodics helped years ago.

we'll see how it goes with stretching, Insoles, frozen water bottle, etc.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well the second day on Diclofenac and at least for me that stuff works wonders, the pain is down by at least 80%, the swelling is way down, hence most of the pain being down.

It's a similar pain to gout which is understandable since they both act a bit like
arthritis in creating damage to ligaments/muscles forcing significant swelling, from which you get some of your pain.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

It's a similar pain to gout which is understandable since they both act a bit like
arthritis in creating damage to ligaments/muscles forcing significant swelling, from which you get some of your pain.

What I was told was that PF was an inflammation of the tissues where the tissues that run through the foot from the toes hook onto the heel. In many cases, the pain is caused by heel spurs from calcium growth and it is hard to distinguish between that a PF without a scan of some sort, x-ray, etc.

There was a surgical procedure to free those tissues that some medical practitioners recommended. Just cut those and problem goes away forever, but you can no longer wiggle your toes. Had I been a pro triathlete, that might have been tempting, but not otherwise.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
JAllen that is true, the similarity is that the area that is affected by both some of the pain is from the swelling of the tissues in the area, gout does the same to your big toe or other joint, but the pain and tenderness comes from the swollen tissue and skin. PF does a similar thing, at least in my case, the pain from the tendons were multiplied by the swelling which resulted from the PF.

Anti inflammatory medicines, which are designed for arthritis as well, will at least alleviate that source for part of the pain.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
Green Super Feet Insoles.

Yep, these are the Bees knees but don't expect them to work overnight. I got a pair after my wife's foot doctor told her to get some. I used ibuprofen on occasion too if the pain was really bad.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
.... I used ibuprofen on occasion too if the pain was really bad.

I'm using Glengoolie Blue for extreme pain Big Grin

Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Definitely see a podiatrist so they can evaluate your foot, your gait, and give you a specific shoe type recommendation. It worked wonders for me and cured it.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I had it once, and cured it by wearing Montrail brand innersoles, which have a hard heel insert.

Mine came from wearing worn out shoes , walking daily in worn out shoes , walking my dogs on pavement in worn out shoes.

Now, when my athletic shoes get good and comfortable, they get trashed.

I went to the foot doctor, did stretches, etc, but those innersoles helped the most.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

What I was told was that PF was an inflammation of the tissues where the tissues that run through the foot from the toes hook onto the heel. In many cases, the pain is caused by heel spurs from calcium growth and it is hard to distinguish between that a PF without a scan of some sort, x-ray, etc.

There was a surgical procedure to free those tissues that some medical practitioners recommended. Just cut those and problem goes away forever, but you can no longer wiggle your toes. Had I been a pro triathlete, that might have been tempting, but not otherwise.

In moderate to severe cases, it can actually be tears in the fascia tissue where it joins the heel. When we sleep at night our feet relax with toes pointed down toward the foot of the bed, and over 8 or so hours the fascia begins to heal this way. In the morning when your feet hit the ground, you stand and try walking, you are stretching the fascia again, and you re-tear the damaged area, hence the sometimes extreme pain with the first steps in the morning. That's why the most accepted treatments involve stretching the fascia: a device to wear while sleeping to hold your ankle in an approximate right angle keeping the fascia tissue stretched while it heals at night, and devices and methods that promote additional stretching during the day.

Like a lot of folks here I had it bad for a long time. I couldn't sleep in the boot, but frankly, probably had it tied up tighter than necessary. I should have started with a more moderate angle of stretch, then worked my way toward more gradually. I finally resorted to 4 months of PT 3 times a week to get rid of it. The parts that made the most significant improvement were stretching my calf muscles, achilles tendons and fascia on a slant board and learning to walk by allowing my foot to roll from heel to toe and allowing my toes to flex completely and stretch the fascia. I purchased a slant board from Amazon and I use it periodically to keep PF from returning. I also have to remind myself to walk correctly. So far so good, but YMMV.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

In moderate to severe cases, it can actually be tears in the fascia tissue where it joins the heel. When we sleep at night our feet relax with toes pointed down toward the foot of the bed, and over 8 or so hours the fascia begins to heal this way. In the morning when your feet hit the ground, you stand and try walking, you are stretching the fascia again, and you re-tear the damaged area, hence the sometimes extreme pain with the first steps in the morning. That's why the most accepted treatments involve stretching the fascia: a device to wear while sleeping to hold your ankle in an approximate right angle keeping the fascia tissue stretched while it heals at night, and devices and methods that promote additional stretching during the day.

Like a lot of folks here I had it bad for a long time. I couldn't sleep in the boot, but frankly, probably had it tied up tighter than necessary. I finally resorted to 4 months of PT 3 times a week to get rid of it. The parts that made the most significant improvement were stretching my calfs, achilles and fascia on a slant board and learning to walk by allowing my foot to roll from heel to toe and allowing my toes to flex and stretch the fascia. YMMV

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, there are a variety of treatment methods each of which help some, but none of which help all.

In my case, the straight lasted shoe was the cause, apparently making my foot out of alignment. When I stopped wearing the straight lasted shoe, 17 years later(!), the irritation went away. I went to semi curved lasted shoes ever since. I did not run since either, mostly just walking since 2003, and swimming. Now, of course, I do nothing, literally.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Power step pinnacle insoles.

I've been using them for almost 20 years. They just came out with new one with a softer material that feels like walking on air. I don't have any financial interest in the product.

They are fantastic.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Press your thumb hard in the arch of your foot and slowly pull your toes back and hold do this stretch several times a day. This is how I worked mine out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post