SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plantar faciitis remedy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plantar faciitis remedy Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I got a bout of it in my right foot. Caused it by a rolled up sock in a loose boot I did not remedy soon enough. Doing the stretches and it helps but have not been able to rid myself of it. A buddy say's roll a frozen water bottle on it. I know orthodics help but I have not been a user so do not think that is needed. Any other suggestions. Thanks guy. I am bare foot quite a bit too this time of year.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I stretched in the shower when I had it. Eventually, it worked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
My wife suffers from this.

I did a search on youtube for this and found a couple of tutorials on how to tape up your foot to relieve pressure on the painful areas.

I wrap a couple of longer sections around the heel, parallel to the ground, then 4 or 5 shorter sections across the bottom of the foot left to right. The idea is to compress the heel and bottom of the foot.

She swears it helps.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
roll a frozen water bottle on it

This plus stretches once the inflammation settles.

NSAIDs or if it's really bad look into Voltaren (Diclofenac). It's a prescription anti-inflamatory that worked wonders on my torn hip labrum, and some tennis elbow.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I had this. It was much worse in the mornings when getting out of bed.

There is a boot like thing you can get that holds your foot up while you sleep. It may work, but I found it to be very uncomfortable.

What worked for me was piling pillows at the head-board of my bed, forcing me down closer to the foot board. This reduced the space that I had to extend my foot and thus kept the foot in a flexed position. It took a long time for the symptoms to fully resolve, but it did work for me.

Good luck.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I've used the "off the shelf" orthotics you can get in any drug store... took a few weeks of using them before I got relief.

But it's the best $25 I ever spent.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1589 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Dr gave me 1/4 & 1/2”
Heel wedges. Do the stretching and it Works great.
No real issues at all since.

Amazon has heel wedges. Pricey little foam items but it’s the trick.

Ps there is a pile of athletic tape manipulation and variations as well. But I t’s a PITA to do every day And gets Spence quick.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Power step pinnacle insoles.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I had this for 17 years. It stopped my amateur triathlon career eventually.

There are a bewildering variety of treatments, all of which work for some but not all.

I tried everything from icing, RICE, stretching, special socks and other devices for feet, chiropractic, podiatrists, physical therapists, sports medicine gurus, even the OB Witch Doctor, a colorful character in Ocean Beach who made custom orthodics for local runners and triathletes. It was the Witch Doctor who had told me I must use straight lasted shoes, back before I started suffering PF. I started using Brooks Chariots.

I bought 3 or 4 sets of orthodics from The Good Feet Store in Encinitas somewhere along the way.

It was crazy how this interfered with life. I could run, but had trouble walking just after getting up, from bed, from my desk, from the car after a long drive.

In 2003, I was at the village in France, trying to get out and walk while my wife was running. I was sick of hurting, sick of all this effort, etc. I vowed to get rid of these shoes when I got home. I did, and about 3 weeks later, the problem went away. Of course, by then I was 17 years older and over 100 lbs. heavier.

You just have to keep trying different treatments modalities until you find one that works. No surgery!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Turmeric is a fantastic anti-inflammatory. Get the pills and take plenty every day.

Cleared up my Achilles tendonitis nicely.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I have it pretty bad too. My heal hurts like crazy. Found one type of shoe that really is incredible in how much difference it makes.

Kuru. Somewhat expensive, but I was in so much pain it was worth every penny.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dr Scholls inserts for PF have worked for me.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I struggled for a bit. This is what I believe set me on the path to recovery:

1) daily walks; distance increasing over time
2) daily hot water soaks - full leg, not just feet. Deep bathtub or jacuzzi. Temp on the high side (ie - ~104F). Massage foot, ankle and shin/calf while in bath. Followed by ice bath (just feet to above the ankles). Soak until numb (20 minutes)
3) Frequent use of this massaging ball: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1
4) Frequent use of this massage stick (applied to shin/calf areas from ankle to knee): https://www.amazon.com/Physica...ywords=massage+stick
5) Superfeet (color appropriate to your shoes and feet) - Black worked best for me.

Took about a month or so.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Power step pinnacle insoles.

I've been using them for almost 20 years. They just came out with new one with a softer material that feels like walking on air. I don't have any financial interest in the product.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Everybody else had given what I would have said also except one:

If it's really very painful, you can get a cortisone shot into where it's hurting. But you need to go to a doctor who will put morphine into the front of the cortisone so he can numb you as he inserts the needle.

The first 5 times over a period of a year, it was a toss up for me to go with the pain of the faciitis or the pain of the needle without the morphine.

I changed doctors and the second one used the morphine trick which was so much better. I wanted to go back to the first doctor to smack him solidly upside the head for not using morphine.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Orthopedic Doc gave me the same wedges as
Bigmule,worked great.
Hope this helps, Jack

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had plantar fasciitis for over a year, tried Good Feet Store, Dr. Scholl inserts, all kinds of stretching exercises, many different inserts, several steroid shots from the Doctor, wearing a very uncomfortable boot at night and nothing worked.
Ended up getting a comfortable boot to wear at night and the pain was gone in one week. Amazing!

Posts: 160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I got a shot of cortisone when I had it in 2012. I have been lucky so far and have not had any more problems. Dr. told me that with most people it only lasts a year or 2.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: molachi,

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I tried it all and still suffered for over a year, got the shot and within 2 weeks problem was gone. The shot was literally the most pain I have ever been in my entire life.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post