SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are these Door Armor door jamb reinforcement snake oil????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are these Door Armor door jamb reinforcement snake oil???? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Granny’s front door could really use a bit of reinforcement.
Do these things really work??
Door Armor MAX – Complete Door Reinforcement Set in Satin Nickel — Door Security by Armor Concepts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E...cp_api_Y8doBbPBEWXD3

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YouTube is your friend. The videos look pretty convincing. I’ve got one I need to install on the exterior garage man door.

Posts: 519 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I think it's overkill. Home Despot has four or six screw extended strikes with long screws. Install that, with some long screws through the hinges. That will give you as much kick protection as you going to get with standard locks.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I think it's overkill. Home Despot has four or six screw extended strikes with long screws. Install that, with some long screws through the hinges. That will give you as much kick protection as you going to get with standard locks.

Have you watched any of the videos on YouTube? Quite a few tests with good results. Screws don’t do that much by themselves. Yes, longer screws are better than nothing, but that’s not much.

Posts: 519 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The best a strike can do is transfer the load past the door frame and into behind. That's all that other product is doing. The load is only going into the strike in two places. Putting a full height strike plate is not going to do any better transferring that load better than the product below, but would cost 10x.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/De...rike-70292/205173930

quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
quote:

Have you watched any of the videos on YouTube? Quite a few tests with good results. Screws don’t do that much by themselves. Yes, longer screws are better than nothing, but that’s not much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

posted Hide Post
quote:
The best a strike can do is transfer the load bast the door frame and into behind. That's all that other product is doing. The load is only going into the strike in two places. Putting a full height strike plate is not going to do any better transferring that loan better the the product below, but would cost 10x.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/De...rike-70292/205173930

quote:
quote:

I went with the strike plate BBMW talks about and used 3-1/2 inch screws, Also put 1 3-1/2 screw into each hinge.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
YouTube is your friend. The videos look pretty convincing. I’ve got one I need to install on the exterior garage man door.

Watched a bunch before posting.
But still figured I would ask the experts.

On sale on Amazon for $45. I am fine with overkill at that price. It has the plates for the door as well. Which seemed softer than the frame to me.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Several years ago a friend was over and we got locked out of the house by accident (a fun story). My friends who had my spare keys were all out of town, and I ended up kicking the front door in. I was surprised how easily it opened!

Once I was back indoors and had cleaned up the mess, I took a look at the broken area of the door jamb. I was in for some "reconstruction," so I bought a 3-foot strip of 1" x 1/4" steel flat stock.

We spent some time with a chisel, a Dremel, and a drill, and cut out a bit of the framing -- enough to plant that strip of steel into it with a half-dozen 3" screws.

I'm certainly hoping there won't be a "next time," but if there is, then I believe the hinge side will suffer, rather than the knob side. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13499 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I remember years ago the company that made the Club for your car steering wheel made a door stop device.
The way it was used was by drilling a hole so many inches from the base at thew door in the floor.
It had a pin on it you dropped in the hold and the body of the device rested against the door at the base.
It stood about 12 to 18 inches high. One side rested against the door on a plate they supplied with it you installed on your door.
If you turned 180 degree it aloud you to open the door to see who might be out side but not enough to let anyone in.
I remember watching the commercials on TV showing people kicking the heck out of the door and not being able to get in.
I don't know what ever happened to them. I have not seen them in years.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a big 6x6 sliding glass door in the back of my house. If you want it really will not matter.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
I remember years ago the company that made the Club for your car steering wheel made a door stop device.
The way it was used was by drilling a hole so many inches from the base at thew door in the floor.
It had a pin on it you dropped in the hold and the body of the device rested against the door at the base.
It stood about 12 to 18 inches high. One side rested against the door on a plate they supplied with it you installed on your door.
If you turned 180 degree it aloud you to open the door to see who might be out side but not enough to let anyone in.
I remember watching the commercials on TV showing people kicking the heck out of the door and not being able to get in.

The Door Club

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ngq9Hf6xCDw

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

The Door Club

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ngq9Hf6xCDw

I did a search on the internet and found them still being sold at Home Depot on line.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think there's such a thing as overkill, especially in Central KY right now. Further, the purpose is to delay forced entry until you can repel the intruder. The older the resident is, the longer you need to delay while he/she is responding. Yeah, if someone really wants in, they can get in. That's pretty much true of everything up to and including a bank vault. The question is, how long will it take, and will that be long enough? I say, for the price, do it. Matter of fact, I may do it myself.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they want in bad enough they will bust a window. Also putting a 3-1/2 inch screw in each hinge will protect the non lock side.Drive a 3-1/2 inch deck screw into 2 2X4s stacked on top of each other and then attempt to pull it out with a crowbar,you will be surprised. Door frame openings are typically 2 2X4s fastened together and then the framed door is inserted into the opening.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
THE ULTIMATE DOOR REINFORCER: Door Armor MAX is a 3-piece door reinforcement kit that makes even an ordinary door into a barrier that can’t be breached even using battering rams and other tools

Is det cord a "tool"?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have far too many windows and patio doors to do more than the standard door latch above my key locks. Everyones situation is different but I'd say just make sure your not reinforcing a door next to a window the bad guy can break and reach his hand through.

She doesn't like German Shepards does she?

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
THE ULTIMATE DOOR REINFORCER: Door Armor MAX is a 3-piece door reinforcement kit that makes even an ordinary door into a barrier that can’t be breached even using battering rams and other tools

Is det cord a "tool"?

Big Grin

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I like how the cop calls in the fireman to kick in the door Razz

We already talked about the strike and the hinges. But he brings up a good point. How strong is the door slab itself? Maybe instead of spending more than necessary on an overly gigantic strike system, upgrading the door slab might be a better use of the money.

quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
If they want in bad enough they will bust a window. Also putting a 3-1/2 inch screw in each hinge will protect the non lock side.Drive a 3-1/2 inch deck screw into 2 2X4s stacked on top of each other and then attempt to pull it out with a crowbar,you will be surprised. Door frame openings are typically 2 2X4s fastened together and then the framed door is inserted into the opening.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GwmcpukL7kE" width="640"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

posted Hide Post
I just did a little experiment and will share my results. I took a 1 3-1/2 inch deck screw and fastened 2-2X6 4ft boards together. While standing on the board I took a crow bar with a 28 inch handle and attempted to pull it out.The crow bar handle was flexing but I could not pull the screw out. Next I took a deck board removal tool with 41 inch handle and the head of the screw bent on each side allowing the tool to come off of the screw. The screw held and the head did not pop off. Try it for yourself. It has made a believer out of me.

Last tool I used The Cescent Bull Bar

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Is det cord a "tool"?

Heh.

Doesn't matter how much they reinforce the door, if you make your own door elsewhere...

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post