SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft, seriously? Windows 10 update related
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft, seriously? Windows 10 update related Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
My latest Windows 10 major update could NOT proceed because of a program incompatibility. The error told me to get rid of one of those secure validation programs that banks or similar institutions some time require. Fact is the name of the program doesn't even ring a bell.

First start looking for it in the installed programs list in the control panel applet. This is a fresh install that I leave on for days until it collects every possible update there is. The offending program I've never heard of, much less installed in the few days preceding the update.
Nothing looks like the program or its publisher in the installed programs list so I do some extra searching within the registry. Zilch, nothing, nada.

I pray to the almighty Google and find out that I only need to remove the program from my hard drive to achieve MS nirvana, so whee the fuck is it?

The never installed program was located in a folder where I copied all the drivers I might need to complete a full generic computer setup. Basically, passive data.

So I guess MS scanned all my hard drive for no real honest purposes and came up with this bullshit that not only wastes my time but violates my privacy in a very flagrant way.

Fuck you MS corp. This is not about perfecting OS operation, preserving system compatibility or any other computing bs you might come up with. Definitely not system related. Shame on you and fuck you very much.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Malicious code often appears to be passive data, until it's not.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Windows 10 updates can be destructive.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The company I work for has suspended all laptop refreshes until the issues can be worked out.
I've been waiting for my new one for a couple of months.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Malicious code often appears to be passive data, until it's not.

True statement right there. Just wondering, why was the shit you needed for a "generic" install placed in a folder on the hard drive instead of removable media? Uninstalled, executable code sitting on an accessible hard drive is somewhat less than optimal. It's a huge no no in my current corporate environment. Could get you terminated at the most, very restricted access at the least. It's also a huge no no on my personal hardware. Could get me really pissed off if a rogue process successfully loads and executes it.

Posts: 7547 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There has been the finding of a major flaw almost all computer cpu chips leaked a few days ago.

Most operating systems are in the process of being patched. Microsoft, Apple, Unix/Linux in all its flavors it's a mess

May of the patches do not play well with anti virus software.

One of the Microsoft patches caused the bricking AMD cpus.

The flaws are called Meltdown and Spectre.

You may try uninstalling your anti virus, installing the patches and reinstalling the anti virus after updating it.

It should all settle down in a few weeks.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they (the Microsoft Corporation) was just singling you out just to fuck with you.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
¨¨¨¨¨¨ My thoughts exactly! Wink

Really, that is the strangest false positive I`ve ever encountered.
Whatever the scan that was performed in my computer, it was not looking for malware, virii or anything else that would make the update more complicated. Otherwise it would have found other stuff that I move around computers that is shadier.

My point is that these drivers were not installed and had never been registered in Windows.

As per the, what is that shit doing in the HD question. Not everybody has the luxury of having removable drives and I do have a folder where I stock most of the necessary tools to complete a computer setup. I rather copy said folder to new computers as soon as I can access the network and then install locally. To date, I do not even have a running server machine, just a workgroup with PCs.
Don`t plan to terminate myself either.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post