SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for Our Legalese Members - Palin's Suit Against NYT Tossed by Manhattan Judge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Our Legalese Members - Palin's Suit Against NYT Tossed by Manhattan Judge Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/2...suit-new-york-times/

Sarah Palin's lawsuit against The New York Times was thrown out by (and to no surprise) by a federal judge in Manhattan.

Here's my question; can defamation suit be appealed and taken this up the court system's chain and possibly up to SCOTUS?

If so, is there precedence where the petitioner (if that's the correct term) has been denied until heard by SCOTUS? (If so, do you recall the case?)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judge Jed S. Rakoff. Another "Slick Willie" Clinton appointee.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/2...suit-new-york-times/

Sarah Palin's lawsuit against The New York Times was thrown out by (and to no surprise) by a federal judge in Manhattan.

Here's my question; can defamation suit be appealed and taken this up the court system's chain and possibly up to SCOTUS?

If so, is there precedence where the petitioner (if that's the correct term) has been denied until heard by SCOTUS? (If so, do you recall the case?)

This dismissal was on a motion to dismiss. As the judge said, "... the public figure has a plausible factual basis for complaining that the mistake was made maliciously, that is, with knowledge it was false or with reckless disregard of its falsity. Here, plaintiff's complaint, even when supplemented by facts developed at an evidentiary hearing convened by the Court, fails to make that showing."

The order is not appealable, but the judgment will be appealable, to the Court of Appeal. Whether it makes it to the Supremes, or can, is another matter.

The standard for a public figure is tough, "mistake was made maliciously, that is, with knowledge it was false or with reckless disregard of its falsity."

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I haven't been following. What's the allegation?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Any agreement between a judges actions in Manhattan and proper justice is a rare coincidence. Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Unless you know what the legal standard is, and the evidence presented for the judge's consideration, it might be best to refrain from overly critical emotional comments.

As much sympathy as we have for Ms. Palin, it was easily predictable what the odds were for this lawsuit, and any judge in the country was likely to arrive at the same conclusion.

We don't know what was presented by way of facts, but the legal standard for public figure v. newspaper defamation suit is very high.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with JALLEN, not surprisingly. He nails it. When the judgment entry goes on following this dismissal order, the judgment it will be "final and appealable." She can then appeal, arguing that it was error to dismiss the case at this stage. If she wins at the court of appeals, it would generally be sent back to the lower court to allow her to add more facts, and have them start over (with an amended complaint, and then another motion to dismiss). If she loses again, yes, it could go up to the U.S. Supreme Court, but whether they would decide to take it is another matter altogether. Zero chance, given the dismissal was not based on some unsual rule of law, but was merely the application of alreaddy settled principles.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is very hard to defame a public figure like Palin. Very hard indeed.

They also don't do mere factual review. They only take cases with particular legal significance.

T ALLEN and Jallen give a good description.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post