SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Forgot Just How Good Duke’s Mayo Is!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Forgot Just How Good Duke’s Mayo Is! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My wife buys Aldi’s mayo which is a decent all purpose mayo but the mayo thread in What’s Your Deal made me remember the many discussions here over the years about Duke’s mayo so I went out and grabbed some.

Did a little taste test compared to the Aldi brand and it’s night and day, Duke’s is clearly the best tasting mayo out there with a nice tart flavor. I notice that most other mayonnaise is made with lemon juice but Duke’s is made with cider vinegar which I think makes all the difference.

Duke’s all the way!

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
We were big hellmans mayo fans until I bought Duke's. Haven't look back.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I, too, used to be a Hellman's only guy. Buuuuuut...thanks to THIS place, Duke's is now the only brand mayo that will grace my pantry and/or refrigerator. I would have listed it as one of the 3 things I have now due to SIGforum, but there were 3 other things with a little higher importance and priority. Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Blue Plate deserves a taste too. Many like it just a tad better than Duke's like we do. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a Miracle Whip guy, but love mayo, too. I think you are right about Blue Plate, it's a little better BUT, when serving guests, we use Dukes a they seem to think it's the top of the line.

Blue Plate, to me. has just a bit better flavor than Dukes, but I can eat almost any of it. Hellman's is really the lowest rung on the ladder for me. But if that's all you got ....

Bob

Posts: 1573 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a funny thread. So Dukes is not available on the west coast. My wife spent a ton of time at various grandparents and cousins homes in the south growing up and insists on buying it on amazon. We have a gallon jar in the fridge and she spoons it into a quart jar for table use. She won’t let anything else grace her lips. I admit I’ve become a fan. But her love for it is over the top for a condiment.

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw this suggestion a while ago and gave it a try. Hands down the best I’ve had. I think I remembered someone saying they also make mustard but I haven’t had any luck finding it.

Posts: 3909 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

I remembered someone saying they also make mustard but I haven’t had any luck finding it.
The product listing on the Duke's website does not mention mustard.

https://www.dukesmayo.com/products/

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

I remembered someone saying they also make mustard but I haven’t had any luck finding it.
The product listing on the Duke's website does not mention mustard.

https://www.dukesmayo.com/products/

Thanks! I guess I’ll quit looking. Smile

Posts: 3909 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
It's good, but the canola oil (first ingredient listed) is not good for you. From my recent reading, vegetable oil is worse for your body and organs and circulation than sugar or processed grains.

Two better mayo choices - Primal Kitchen avocado oil mayo, or Chosen Foods avocado oil mayo.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
We use Duke's and if we can't get it we use Blue Plate

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Hellman's for life. Best Foods when visiting west of the Rocky Mountains. But I will try Duke's.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Did not know Dukes was that good.... for the simple reason that's all I've been using for now on 40 years... probably because the plant where they make it is about three and a half miles away.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We used to be able to buy Duke’s at the Dollar General in town. That was the only place that carried it. And now they’ve quit handling Duke’s.

Bastards.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

It's good, but the canola oil (first ingredient listed) is not good for you.
Are you referring to Duke's?

I just checked the jar in my refrigerator. There is no mention of canola oil on the list of ingredients.
By the way, I have found a good use for canola oil.

It is my understanding that paper shredders should be oiled. I looked at some "paper shredder oil." It was rather expensive, and it was primarily canola oil.

The non-aerosol, pump type can of canola oil in the grocery section is a tiny fraction of the cost of the paper shredder canola oil.

Every couple of months, I just put a light spray of cooking canola oil on a sheet of paper that I'm going to shred, and run it through the shredder. Works just fine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
It's good, but the canola oil (first ingredient listed) is not good for you. From my recent reading, vegetable oil is worse for your body and organs and circulation than sugar or processed grains.

And EGGS.
Don't even get me started on eggs. Wink

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
C. F. Sauer co. makes Dukes,Bama and Gold Medal brands . They also have products under the Sauer lable. They make mustard under the Bama brand.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Glad to be back on the East Coast and able to buy Dukes again!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
We buy Dukes by the gallon at Costco around $7.50, if you have room its a steal.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I just checked the jar in my refrigerator. There is no mention of canola oil on the list of ingredients.
soybean oil is the same as canola oil - both are vegetable oils and a few molecules away from plastic.

from the Amazon listing:

Duke's Real Mayonnaise contains soybean oil, eggs, water, distilled and cider vinegar, salt, oleoresin paprika, natural flavors, and calcium disodium EDTA (added to protect flavor).

from Dukes site:

from an image search:

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post