SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Probing in this case is not referring to sticking temp probes in. Probing to test doneness is the classic stick a fork in it. If it goes in easy and twists easy, the brisket is done.

I’d verify this with someone else because I’ll be doing my first brisket this week, so I have zero experience and I’m just parroting something I read in the internet.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I only say temp probe as that is usually what is convenient. It can be a fork or thick toothpick. When your brisket is about 195 start sticking something in it to feel if it’s done.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Having some guests over Friday for the best pork chops they've ever had Big Grin

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes with putting a probe in to monitor temp but I don't recommend stick probing until it is 203-205F. No reason to stick a bunch of extra holes to let the juices out. Almost all of the top competition guys shoot for 204 so there is that, and yes the toothpick test is the final word, it should slide in like a room temp stick of butter.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2876 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Is that a dish bin? I've been using baking sheets for prep work, but I really need something deeper to contain the mess. My dad's birthday is next week and I've got a 20lb USDA prime brisket in the fridge.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I don't know where I got the white one. Here are the links for the cooling rack and another bus bin I use that the rack fits in. It doesn't look like either are available but you can probably find something similar. The grey bin is a bit narrower than the white one.

Cooling Rack:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bus Bin:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

I took the end of course Big Grin

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That does look good And now I’m hungry again.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

I’m trying a reverse seer on a rack of lamb on my Yoder tonight.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Decided to try a flat brisket yesterday.

I'd probably remove a bit more of the fat cap the next time.

Yes, next time use a sharp boning knife or even paring knife to trim that down to around 1/4 to 1/8th inch.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I love Beef Short Ribs and saw this Korean BBQ video.
It looks fantastic and I'm going to make it sometime (when I get my heater working and water again).
Anybody make this?

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Decided to try a flat brisket yesterday. Kind of got a late start and had to deal with a longer than anticipated stall but it was off the grill around 8pm. Fortunately I had made other food to eat in advance.

Timing on briskets has been a fickle thing for me. They're either done a couple hours before or a couple hours after I think they should be. I now start about 3 hours before I think it will be done and if it's done early, I'll hold it in a cooler.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Marinated chicken thighs and bacon wrapped asparagus...

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, looks real good Cool

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Do you make your own snausage? Really been contemplated getting a meat grinder to utilize some of the trimmings I take off to use either in burgers or making my own meat sacks Big Grin

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Yoder experts, I am in the mood for a good burger tonight. I have a grind made with hanger steak, brisket and ribeye.

I know most people use the grill grates and seer at a high temp but I want some smoke flavor.

Any suggestions?

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’m a beginner and don’t know about Yoder’s, but what I understand is smoke takes time. How about doing a reverse sear type of thing where you put the burgers in the smoker at 225 until the internal temp gets to where you want it and then searing them? I’m sorry if it doesn’t help, but I was just about to post this and it didn’t seem right to do it after your question:

Today is the day:

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and turned the grill grates smooth side up, opened the diffuser, cranked it to 500 and seared them for 3 minutes per side, I sprayed duck fat on the grate just before putting the burgers on.

They were outstanding, a cartelized crust on the outside and medium rare'ish in the inside.

Thanks for that recipe, I'll try that next time.