SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Sig4Eva, if you are going to open a restaurant you may want to read this...

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/f...wthread.php?t=161123

I'm pretty serious about BBQ. I like my brisket Texas style, my ribs Kansas City Style, and my pulled pork North Carolina style. But I experiment.

Here's a few pics. I've dabbled in bacon, sausage and I'm making a pastrami currently.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started smoking meats/poultry many years ago using different charcoal smokers. They worked for me, but was never thrilled with the end results. The older units were very difficult to control the temp adequately.

Long story short, a few years ago I purchased a all stainless steel Cook-Shack electric smoker. Took me a bit of time to learn to use it correctly, but now, I wouldn't take for it. Beautiful temp control despite the wind, or outside temp. My results are consistent time after time. I have developed cooking "programs" for each type of meat(finally).

I do use rubs on my various meats, but do not put any sauce on them during the smoking/cooking process. To me, they just don't need it.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Personally, I love all kinds of BBQ. I've been seriously smoking meats for the last 5 years or so. Once I've reached financial security with my normal job, I plan to retire and open up a BBQ restaurant for fun because I love smoking meats so much. I've already got a signature rub, Lexington style sauce, and sides. My BBQ slaw needs work but my coleslaw is amazing.

WHOA!
I'm loving all the BBQ pics and its got me inspired but, retirement is retirement. I don't wanna burst your bubble but, running a business or, opening one (especially food service), is called work, you'll have employees relying on you and, most of the time, there's no fun in it. There's plenty of television programs made up of a successful chef attempting to re-habilitate struggling restaurants. The VAST majority of problems is, the owner bought the biz as a fun retirement project, had zero prior food service experience and the business is now a cesspool because its under-capitalized and under-resourced.

Best to work part-time at an existing BBQ spot, maybe even a diner so you gain some perspective on what goes on and happens behind the scenes. Maybe even offer to a 4-6 month contract for free, just weekends, just to gain some experience. Dealing with employees will take up a huge amount of bandwidth, gov permitting/compliance, dealing with your suppliers, infrastructure problems.... There's a reason why food service is not retirement work.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like almost any kind of barbeque, but I am less fond of chicken or turkey. Those are a little boring to me. Nothing wrong with a smoked turkey, mind you, but it doesn't quite measure up.

But, brisket, pork ribs, beef ribs, pork butt, and even sausage is all delicious. I like most of the kinds of sauces, too, when applied to the appropriate meat. I am a little less fond of the Kansas City style as I find that sauce sweeter and goop-ier than I really like.

But, being a Texan, my favorite is brisket. It doesn't need sauce. For that style, the sauce is a mere condiment, and not very important. Brisket is the real test of a barbeque cook, because it is hard get it right. Nothing satisfies like a good barbequed brisket.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I live about 20 minutes from here. You'll never convince me there is anything better.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I love smoking and eating baby back ribs. I do a lot of them in the summer months.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Never, ever click the BBQ thread. Now I'm hungry.

I only just got a Weber Smokey Mountain this last Christmas, but I think worse than clicking the BBQ thread is waiting for the pork butts to be done. 9 hours of smelling the fantastic smells and listening to your stomach rumbling for at least 6 of those hours thinking about how hungry you are.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Made some Tri Tip on the BGE.
This was FANTASTIC.
First Tri Tip and it tasted in between a steak and brisket.
I reverse seared it pulling it off at 126 degrees and then heating up the egg.

Searing Stage:

Notice the marbling stripes (cut with the grain only to separate a piece out)
I know you cut against the grain and I did to serve.

What a treat! Smile

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
The last brisket I did was when my brother and his new wife were in town. She is a high level computer programmer that works in down town Seattle. I noticed she was picking through the meat avoiding anything with a red color. She thought that part was under cooked. I explained to her that its not under cooked. The red color is on the outside of the meat. Its called the smoke ring and its a sign of good BBQ.

I was eating at a rib festival and could barely contain myself as I listened to somebody complaining to one of the competitors about the under cooked ribs he received. It was the smoke ring. The customer insisted it was under cooked. I talked to the competitor after and we shared a laugh about some people just not getting it.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

Great pics, thanks!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've come to believe that the history books have been re-written over the reason for the American Revolution and it was really about which was best BBQ'd meat style.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Love it guys, keep it coming!

tatortodd, I'm with you. I love everything BBQ.

frayedends, that is pretty much what I hear from people. Great post on that forum. When I do move forward, it will be a small place where I smoke everything the night before, and when I sell out, shut down for the day. It seems to be the best way to get your feet wet with minimal overhead. Excellent pics!

xantom, great selection my friend!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIG4EVA,

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Sig4eva...just let me know when and where - I'll be first in line.

Your intended approach to commercialization reminds me of a place that stared in Spring TX called Corkscrew BBQ. It was just a couple guys that worked for a caterer who were told that their bbq was the best ever, started in a small shed with a couple trucks and pits and corrugated roof over some picnic tables. Within five years they had enough of a following and moved to bigger and better digs but their bbq is in many best of TX top 10 or top 25 lists.

Love all things BBQ...acquired taste for E. NC pulled pork during my days in college at UNC. Bill's was the go to place.

Then spent 20 yrs in TX so I loves me some brisket as well.

Ribs, smoked sausage (spicier the better), smoked turkey...

Just last night wife and I went to a place near us thats does brisket and pork really well. Need to get back some Wed. for the burnt ends

I can do a pretty good boston butt and ribs but dont have the setup for a good brisket.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Bone in Pork Loins
Coarse Salt
Coarse Pepper
Sweet Rub O' Mine
Cooked to 140
Tented in foil for 20 minutes.

I have to say this turned out fantastic! I bought both loins for $31. I'll seal in food saver bags and freeze for quick meals later.

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Bone in Pork Loins
Coarse Salt
Coarse Pepper
Sweet Rub O' Mine
Cooked to 140

I have to say this turned out fantastic! I bought both loins for $31. I'll seal in food saver bags and freeze for quick meals later.

Love the UDS. Some of my best Q came out of my barrel.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Bone in Pork Loins
Coarse Salt
Coarse Pepper
Sweet Rub O' Mine
Cooked to 140

Love the UDS. Some of my best Q came out of my barrel.

For those of you reading this that don't know what a UDS is. It's a homemade Ugly Drum Smoker. I'd love to make one some day.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
to the OP, I will try your restaurant when it's open. all these posts and pics look amazing. I do the usuals of pork/brisket/ribs on a cheap bullet style smoker, turns out well usually.

Posts: 218 | Location: NC | Registered: February 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Did another trisket on the RecTeq tonight. This time I let it sit bare on the grill until hit had good color. I wrapped it at about 170˚ and it shaved about 1.5 hours off the cooking time. I pulled it at 203˚ and wrapped it in another layer of foil and let it rest for about 2 hours.

The first time I did it the ends were a little dry but still very good, but this one came out moist and consistent the whole way through.

Again, there were no leftovers in this 2# tri-tip. This is officially my wife's new meat dish. She worked a 10-hour shift at the hospital today and came home to this.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I have never done a tri-tip. That looks great!

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
After a long wait my Yoder 480s arrives tomorrow. I can’t wait to fire it up.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post