SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
Wow - some very talented cooks on here. Love all the different pics of fantastic looking BBQ.

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Have been doing private party BBQ catering for awhile. The covid has put a stop to most of that.

Getting the equipment ready to go and pre cooking pork butts.

Did some ribs too.

Happy well fed guests.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
That is some serious cooking lastmanstanding. What rub did you use on the ribs? They look amazing.

I got the Yoder base assembled this morning. I need some help lifting the base and attaching to the grill, which is on its side. Once attached the assembled grill tips out flat onto its wheels.

I had spinal fusion 6 months ago and still have a 50 pound lifting limit. Wish my wife and I good luck so we don’t kill each other finishing the grill. Big Grin

Hoping to have everything done so I can do the burn in, season it and smoke some ribs for tonight’s dinner.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
I cooked it a little more than 165...

Your bird looks really good sir, but just a tip. Chicken, like pork, usually gets ruined at the recommended FDA temps. You can safely pasteurize both at much lower temps and the flavor and consistency is so much better.

Here's some info on the topic

I usually cook my breasts sous vide. I drop them frozen into 145 water for an hour and 45 minutes. They come out so tasty and juicy that I kick myself for not having discovered that years ago. There's nothing worse than a hard dry chicken breast cooked to FDA standards.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
That is some serious cooking lastmanstanding. What rub did you use on the ribs? They look amazing.

I got the Yoder base assembled this morning. I need some help lifting the base and attaching to the grill, which is on its side. Once attached the assembled grill tips out flat onto its wheels.

I had spinal fusion 6 months ago and still have a 50 pound lifting limit. Wish my wife and I good luck so we don’t kill each other finishing the grill. Big Grin

Hoping to have everything done so I can do the burn in, season it and smoke some ribs for tonight’s dinner.

I have used Oak Ridge BBQ rubs almost exclusively for a number of years now. The ribs in the pic were most likely seasoned with their Dominator Sweet Rib Rub. I use to make my own but when you are cooking in quantities like that making that much rub was just another task that absorbed needed time. Oak Ridge was as good or better than anything I made so I went that route and have no regrets.

Good luck with that Yoder they are at the top of the heap for pellet grills.

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

posted Hide Post
I am headed over to the local grill supply store to take a look at the Yoder YS640.

I am torn between the Recteq 700 and the Yoder YS640.

I am willing to pay a bit more for made in the US but I really like the stainless construction of the Recteq.

I guess what is really important to me in the end is that it provides good smoky flavor (I hear some pellet grills are light on smoke flavor, I know that pellet brands make a difference).

Can't wait to see the Yoder in person...

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeff - good luck! I'm going to clean and season my grill as you suggested. The thing is damn heavy but it rolls well. Maybe you could build a makeshift ramp if you need to lift it. I'm a little banged up myself right now but fortunately my wife and oldest daughter were around to help me move the initial box.

I'm all set, doing the burn in and seasoned the exterior while it was warming up. I was able to do everything except tip it out of the box, my wifed helped me with that.

I'm putting baby back ribs on for my first smoke.

posted Hide Post
quote:
lastmanstanding - That's looks off the charts good! I'm reminded of the Wayne's World scene and I'm feeling not worthy, lol. Awesome job!

Thank you but there is no real secret to doing this. Meat, fire and patience equals good BBQ. I've been doing this a long time and have only used wood fired cookers. I've come to recognize the technology advancement in the smoking hobby but just have not accepted it myself. I have no intentions on letting go of the authentic wood fired cooking method. Trying to teach one of my sons but they just don't have the patience. I view it as another dying art. I have three parties booked for this summer. They are all private parties on private property so should go as planned. I'm excited to get back into it. Nothing more satisfying than cooking good food for good folks.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
lastmanstanding - That's looks off the charts good! I'm reminded of the Wayne's World scene and I'm feeling not worthy, lol. Awesome job!

Thank you but there is no real secret to doing this. Meat, fire and patience equals good BBQ. I've been doing this a long time and have only used wood fired cookers. I've come to recognize the technology advancement in the smoking hobby but just have not accepted it myself. I have no intentions on letting go of the authentic wood fired cooking method. Trying to teach one of my sons but they just don't have the patience. I view it as another dying art. I have three parties booked for this summer. They are all private parties on private property so should go as planned. I'm excited to get back into it. Nothing more satisfying than cooking good food for good folks.

...and nothing tastes as good as meat smoked on a stick burner by someone that knows what they are doing.

posted Hide Post
Just picked up a new Yoder YS640.

Got the searing diffuser and 40 pounds of Lumberjack pellets.

The thing is a giant beast!

Single digit temps here so I will wait to put it together, this will give me time to come up with a plan for the first smoke!

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
You will love it! We just finished our first, post assembly smoke. We did baby back ribs, Spicewella Pork Rub at 250 for 5 hours and they were other worldly delicious.

I moved up from a GMG Tailgater to the Yoder. Wow, what a difference.

maxxpower good call on going with a Yoder! Made in the USA with 100% USA components, amazing quality compared to what I had before. Yes, it was more expensive than others I looked at but the quality and craftsmanship made it worth it to me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
You will love it! We just finished our first, post assembly smoke. We did baby back ribs, Spicewella Pork Rub at 250 for 5 hours and they were other worldly delicious.

Can't wait! What kind of pellets are you using?

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
quote:

Can't wait! What kind of pellets are you using?

I used up my Traeger pellets for burn in and switched to Lumberjack. I'm still experimenting trying to settle on a brand. I got much less ash with the Lumberjack pellets vs. Traeger pellets. Both were hardwood blends.

Edited to add, an assembly trick I learned the hard way. I spent an hour trying to insert the base legs into the grill without success.

When you build the base tighten all of the screws but leave the nuts and bolts loose. When loose the legs slip right in. Tighten everything up before you tilt it out of the box. Before you tip it out chock the wheels....it's a beast!

Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
BBQ is my hobby and I cook multiple times a week. My cooks are done on...

Yoder YS640s Pellet Smoker/Grill with Lumberjack pellets
Kamado Joe Classic III with B&B Lump
Blackstone Griddle (non BBQ)

My wife always gave me gruff for the money I spent on my hobbies but she doesn't seem to mind this one.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:

My wife always gave me gruff for the money I spent on my hobbies but she doesn't seem to mind this one.

Do you have a chicken wing recipe for the Yoder that you wouldn’t mind sharing?

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
she doesn't seem to mind this one.

Big Grin

Pork Butts today!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ Pork butts look nice. Did you trim the fat cap off? I have two 8 pounders in the freezer that need to be used up. I'm thinking of deboning them and cutting them into pork steaks for grilling instead of making pulled pork. I have about 20lbs of pulled pork in the freezer vac sealed into 3lb servings so I don't need any more of that at the moment.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I did not trim the fat cap it was maybe 3/8" at the thickest parts. But I did score it so some of the rub would penetrate into the meat. I don't worry too much about the fat cap on pork butts typically. Do you usually trim that down or off?

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:

Do you have a chicken wing recipe for the Yoder that you wouldn’t mind sharing?

Hi Jeff. I actually have not cooked wings on the Yoder. I always use the air fryer for wings. I'm going to have to try wings on the yoder.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post