SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
This is a touchy subject but I'm sure we can all agree BBQ amazing. Being born and raised in NC, BBQ consists of smoked pork/hog with your choice of sauce (Eastern/Lexington). There is also Texas, Memphis, KC, Alabama, etc.

Personally, I love all kinds of BBQ. I've been seriously smoking meats for the last 5 years or so. Once I've reached financial security with my normal job, I plan to retire and open up a BBQ restaurant for fun because I love smoking meats so much. I've already got a signature rub, Lexington style sauce, and sides. My BBQ slaw needs work but my coleslaw is amazing.

I would love to see what kind of BBQ you guys enjoy, like to make, or have questions about.

I'll start us off with the brisket I made a few days ago.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I know what eastern NC bbq is! I lived in Wilson. Bills BBQ (Bills closed several years ago when he died, but Marty has opened up a small store using his dads process) and Parker’s BBQ, over in Goldsboro they have McCalls, But since moving to Texas I KNOW what BBQ is!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I love to BBQ. It’s what I do most weekends. Here are a few pics I already had on postimage. I’ll upload some more later. I have lots of BBQ photos.

Brisket

Pastrami

New York Roast

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Oh sweet Jesus!

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Baby back ribs

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
This is a touchy subject but I'm sure we can all agree BBQ amazing. Being born and raised in NC, BBQ consists of smoked pork/hog with your choice of sauce (Eastern/Lexington). There is also Texas, Memphis, KC, Alabama, etc.
Big Grin I'm offended. Texas BBQ ain't an also it's THE BBQ. Big Grin

In all seriousness, I like many styles of BBQ:
  • Beef - Texas is my hands down favorite style. With proper technique and rub then sauce is completely unnecessary. The ultimate Texas BBQ insult is, "it needed sauce."
  • Sausage - Once again, Texas reigns supreme. One of the things I missed most when I lived in Anchorage and Calgary wasn't I couldn't even buy the peppery sausage in a grocery store or "BBQ" Restuarant.
  • Pulled pork - Carolina style. I'm more of a Carolina mustard style than vinegar style.
  • Ribs - Memphis style. I grew up on KC style ribs, but once I had Memphis style I never looked back.
  • Salmon - Hard to beat the brine and technique I learned in Alaska

I've never tried the Alabama white sauce style BBQ, but then again I'm not much of a mayo fan.

Here are some Memphis style ribs I smoked on my BGE:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My dog crosses the line
    Picture of Jeff Yarchin
    posted Hide Post
    Looks awesome!

What smokers are you guys using?

I bought a GMG Davy Crockett that I’m disappointed with.

I ordered a Yoder 460 but they are 3 months out.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alienator
    Picture of SIG4EVA
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
    Looks awesome!

Sadly an electric I've had for years. I'm going to upgrade to a BGE/Kamado Joe or pellet smoker this year. I was waiting for the thing to die but it still hasn't.

SIG556 Classic
    P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
    P938 SAS
    P365 FDE

I Am The Walrus
    posted Hide Post
    I'm not even on the level of an amateur. I use an electric smoker with pre-made rubs. Frown

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Looks awesome!

I have a Kamado Joe and also a Weber Smokey mountain. The weber smokey mountain does an excellent job, better than the Kamado Joe as far as imparting smoke flavor. I like using Hickory for Pork.....and pecan wood for other things.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    women dug his snuff
    and his gallant stroll
    posted Hide Post
    I don’t have any way of posting photos, but I bought a Horizon offset barrel stick burner about two years ago. It took some learning, but I’ve really mastered pork ribs and butts. Turkey breast is also a fan favorite. Beef ribs are also pretty amazing. Brisket generally turns out pretty great too. I’ve only done maybe six or eight, I really need more practice. I’m a Texas BBQ fan, so salt, pepper, and post oak are they way I tend to cook.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Invest Early, Invest Often
    Picture of TomV
    posted Hide Post
    Everyone loves my BBQ Turkey....20 pounder I did for Thanksgiving. Done on a charcoal Weber.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fourth line skater
    Picture of goose5
    posted Hide Post
    The last brisket I did was when my brother and his new wife were in town. She is a high level computer programmer that works in down town Seattle. I noticed she was picking through the meat avoiding anything with a red color. She thought that part was under cooked. I explained to her that its not under cooked. The red color is on the outside of the meat. Its called the smoke ring and its a sign of good BBQ.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ShouldBFishin
    posted Hide Post
    I got my first smoker about 20 years ago and have been hooked since.

Pulled pork (using a varation of Skin's rub), ribs and lately brisket are pretty typical of the meats I smoke.

Frequently I will throw some hard boiled eggs on the smoker for 20 minutes or so after my ribs are done - they make the best egg salad sandwiches!

Here's a couple of pics from the last brisket...

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TomV:
    Everyone loves my BBQ Turkey....20 pounder I did for Thanksgiving. Done on a charcoal Weber.

That looks fantastic!

What kind of Weber charcoal grill, regular kettle grill, smokey mountain?

How many hours?

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Looks awesome!

I just use my gas grill with a Smokemiester attachment added, works great.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No, not like
    Bill Clinton
    Picture of BigSwede
    posted Hide Post
    The smokin' hot Wife asked me to smoke some ribs for Sunday dinner, I'll be posting then. We like a KC type dry rub for the smoking and then finished with a vinegar baste, covered for a couple hours

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Age Quod Agis
    Picture of ArtieS
    posted Hide Post
    Ok. All done on a medium BGE.

Chicken and Veggies

Traditional Mixed Smoked

Stuffed Pork Fattie

Slow Smoked Chicken

Ribs and Sausage

Traditional Rib Dinner

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Expert308
    posted Hide Post
    You guys are killin' me. The only smoking I've ever done was on my Weber kettle charcoal grill using the low & slow indirect method. Sort of works, but not really. It's more of a steaks, burgers and chicken kind of cooker. Maybe someday when other priorities are dealt with I'll be in a position to buy a real smoker. My brother and brother-in-law both have Traegers and my brother especially has turned out some great BBQ on his.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Honor and Integrity
    posted Hide Post
    All these great pictures, but I've yet to see any samples delivered to my home Big Grin

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post