SIGforum
The BBQ Thread

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3590098874

February 17, 2021, 07:20 PM
trapper189
The BBQ Thread
Probing in this case is not referring to sticking temp probes in. Probing to test doneness is the classic stick a fork in it. If it goes in easy and twists easy, the brisket is done.

I’d verify this with someone else because I’ll be doing my first brisket this week, so I have zero experience and I’m just parroting something I read in the internet.
February 17, 2021, 08:54 PM
frayedends
I only say temp probe as that is usually what is convenient. It can be a fork or thick toothpick. When your brisket is about 195 start sticking something in it to feel if it’s done.

These go to eleven.
February 18, 2021, 06:32 AM
xantom
Having some guests over Friday for the best pork chops they've ever had Big Grin

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."
February 18, 2021, 07:36 AM
bettysnephew
Yes with putting a probe in to monitor temp but I don't recommend stick probing until it is 203-205F. No reason to stick a bunch of extra holes to let the juices out. Almost all of the top competition guys shoot for 204 so there is that, and yes the toothpick test is the final word, it should slide in like a room temp stick of butter.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith
February 19, 2021, 02:27 PM
xantom

February 19, 2021, 02:47 PM
trapper189
Is that a dish bin? I've been using baking sheets for prep work, but I really need something deeper to contain the mess. My dad's birthday is next week and I've got a 20lb USDA prime brisket in the fridge.
February 19, 2021, 03:21 PM
xantom
I don't know where I got the white one. Here are the links for the cooling rack and another bus bin I use that the rack fits in. It doesn't look like either are available but you can probably find something similar. The grey bin is a bit narrower than the white one.

Cooling Rack:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bus Bin:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

February 19, 2021, 07:23 PM
xantom

February 19, 2021, 08:59 PM
xantom

I took the end of course Big Grin

February 20, 2021, 05:03 AM
trapper189
That does look good And now I’m hungry again.
February 20, 2021, 08:38 AM
Jeff Yarchin
Looks great!

I’m trying a reverse seer on a rack of lamb on my Yoder tonight.
February 20, 2021, 01:20 PM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Decided to try a flat brisket yesterday.

I'd probably remove a bit more of the fat cap the next time.

Yes, next time use a sharp boning knife or even paring knife to trim that down to around 1/4 to 1/8th inch.

February 20, 2021, 02:16 PM
smschulz
I love Beef Short Ribs and saw this Korean BBQ video.
It looks fantastic and I'm going to make it sometime (when I get my heater working and water again).
Anybody make this?

February 21, 2021, 10:45 AM
ShouldBFishin
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Decided to try a flat brisket yesterday. Kind of got a late start and had to deal with a longer than anticipated stall but it was off the grill around 8pm. Fortunately I had made other food to eat in advance.

Timing on briskets has been a fickle thing for me. They're either done a couple hours before or a couple hours after I think they should be. I now start about 3 hours before I think it will be done and if it's done early, I'll hold it in a cooler.
February 21, 2021, 06:45 PM
benny6
Marinated chicken thighs and bacon wrapped asparagus...

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com
February 22, 2021, 07:29 AM
xantom
Oh yeah, looks real good Cool

February 22, 2021, 10:16 AM
xantom
Do you make your own snausage? Really been contemplated getting a meat grinder to utilize some of the trimmings I take off to use either in burgers or making my own meat sacks Big Grin

February 24, 2021, 02:19 PM
Jeff Yarchin
Yoder experts, I am in the mood for a good burger tonight. I have a grind made with hanger steak, brisket and ribeye.

I know most people use the grill grates and seer at a high temp but I want some smoke flavor.

Any suggestions?
February 24, 2021, 03:21 PM
trapper189
I’m a beginner and don’t know about Yoder’s, but what I understand is smoke takes time. How about doing a reverse sear type of thing where you put the burgers in the smoker at 225 until the internal temp gets to where you want it and then searing them? I’m sorry if it doesn’t help, but I was just about to post this and it didn’t seem right to do it after your question:

Today is the day:

February 24, 2021, 06:24 PM
Jeff Yarchin
I went ahead and turned the grill grates smooth side up, opened the diffuser, cranked it to 500 and seared them for 3 minutes per side, I sprayed duck fat on the grate just before putting the burgers on.

They were outstanding, a cartelized crust on the outside and medium rare'ish in the inside.

Thanks for that recipe, I'll try that next time.