SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Looking good Cool

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1199 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12551 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Learned a lot for next time, thanks all.

posted Hide Post
Oh yeah! That looks great!!! We tried two grocery stores today to get a brisket and a whole chicken and came up empty. I'm going to try my butcher tomorrow as I'm hopeful to be smoking again later this week when it warms up.

Posts: 5642 | Location: CO | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Learned a lot for next time, thanks all.

That looks fantastic. Beautiful smoke ring on that brisket! That's a first effort success which doesn't happen often with brisket.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 7338 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I run my egg @ 275
Try higher temp next smoke
What was texture like on that one?

The only way I learned to make great brisket
Was making bad brisket....

Posts: 1044 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Looks good Jeff! I'm curious why one side doesn't have the smoke ring.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 6044 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Looks very good Jeff!

Posts: 1199 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Nice brisket!

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-01 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 4350 | Location: USA | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:

I think due to either fat cap or how the smoke circulated? He could have had it in a foil pan which would do that too.

Posts: 27157 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Side without the ring was the fat cap. I left 1/4 in on and it went on the rack fat side down.

The last two hours it was in a roasting pan, fat side down.

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:

Side without the ring was the fat cap. I left 1/4 in on and it went on the rack fat side down.

The last two hours it was in a roasting pan, fat side down.

Blonde moment. I have to separate the point and flat because I don't have enough space in the smoker for a whole packer.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 6044 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I'm going to try my first flat brisket Fri or Sat. My butcher only had flats but I was thinking that's probably better for me to learn with rather than trying a full packer brisket. He said I just needed to call ahead because they use the point piece for their ground beef. Next time hopefully.

Planning to dry rub and let it sit overnight. Figuring it should take ~6 hours give or take...plus I'm planning to rest it an hour. It's about 5 lbs trimmed up. I'm thinking I'm going to keep a drip pan beneath and start it at 225 for about 3 hours or ~160 - wrap it with peach paper and then turn up the heat to 250-275 to finish it.

Is ~202 the magic temperature to pull it or does it depend on the cut? Suggestions always welcome.

Posts: 5642 | Location: CO | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Brisket is done when it probes tender. When you insert your temp probe it should go in like butter. Flats are a bit more difficult to keep moist. Temp does not matter but generally they are done between 200 and 210. But if it doesn’t probe tender it’s not done.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 10756 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks. I was planning to probe it from the get go and not remove it at all. Is that ok to do?

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Probing in this case is not referring to sticking temp probes in. Probing to test doneness is the classic stick a fork in it. If it goes in easy and twists easy, the brisket is done.

I’d verify this with someone else because I’ll be doing my first brisket this week, so I have zero experience and I’m just parroting something I read in the internet.

Posts: 6657 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do get there's a textural element to testing meat doneness, I just never used my temperature probe for it. Thanks.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I only say temp probe as that is usually what is convenient. It can be a fork or thick toothpick. When your brisket is about 195 start sticking something in it to feel if it’s done.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 10756 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Having some guests over Friday for the best pork chops they've ever had Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Yes with putting a probe in to monitor temp but I don't recommend stick probing until it is 203-205F. No reason to stick a bunch of extra holes to let the juices out. Almost all of the top competition guys shoot for 204 so there is that, and yes the toothpick test is the final word, it should slide in like a room temp stick of butter.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2380 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post