The BBQ Thread

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3590098874

February 25, 2021, 07:44 AM
tatortodd
The BBQ Thread
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I went ahead and turned the grill grates smooth side up, opened the diffuser, cranked it to 500 and seared them for 3 minutes per side, I sprayed duck fat on the grate just before putting the burgers on.

They were outstanding, a cartelized crust on the outside and medium rare'ish in the inside.

Thanks for that recipe, I'll try that next time.
The hamburger option I do most often on my BGE is the reverse sear. Smoke at 225-250 and meanwhile have a oven safe pan indoors in the oven at 400. Once I get close to desired burger doneness then I take it in for a quick sear in the pan on high heat on gas range.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
February 25, 2021, 10:29 AM
smschulz
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
I went ahead and turned the grill grates smooth side up, opened the diffuser, cranked it to 500 and seared them for 3 minutes per side, I sprayed duck fat on the grate just before putting the burgers on.

They were outstanding, a cartelized crust on the outside and medium rare'ish in the inside.

Thanks for that recipe, I'll try that next time.
The hamburger option I do most often on my BGE is the reverse sear. Smoke at 225-250 and meanwhile have a oven safe pan indoors in the oven at 400. Once I get close to desired burger doneness then I take it in for a quick sear in the pan on high heat on gas range.

Ya know I never thought about reverse searing burger, but I am going to give it a try.
Great tip, I always used a cast iron griddle on the flat side on my grille and it is my gas grille no smoke so this might be a nice treat.
Loves some smoke.
Cool
February 26, 2021, 03:41 PM
Jeff Yarchin
I just ordered one of these. This forum is expensive!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
February 26, 2021, 04:41 PM
Jeff Yarchin

5 hours at 250. Apple pellets. Yum.
February 28, 2021, 01:41 PM
xantom
Those ribs look great!

I just got a set of grill grates myself. I need to swap out all the stock grates and clean my grill out before I try it out.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."
March 04, 2021, 06:16 PM
Jeff Yarchin
Dino Ribs! They were amazing.

url=https://postimg.cc/PPHV1fLc] [/url]

March 04, 2021, 06:26 PM
Pickle Rick
Looks fantastic. I may need to up my barbecue game.

March 05, 2021, 09:53 AM
xantom
Wow, those look great Jeff!

Added an ingredient shelf and magnetic knife rack to my prep area.

I Just replaced all the grates in my grill and bought a set of the Grill Grates. I'm doing Sam the Cooking Guy's burger recipe tomorrow night. I'm grinding my own sirloin, brisket, and short ribs for the patties. Anyone ever "cold smoke" burgers before grilling? I was thinking about doing that before I through them on the grill.

Edited:
Sounds like cold smoking ground beef is not a good idea...

March 05, 2021, 10:02 AM
SIG4EVA
Jeff, those ribs look amazing!

I did some baby backs last night with my signature rub.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
March 05, 2021, 11:48 AM
smschulz
Made some Pork Belly over the weekend for the first time.
I must say it made a pretty awesome pulled pork sandwich, so juicey!
Slow cooked on the BGE more than ribs but less than brisket.
This is after a two or three hours into it.
Wish I had some more money shots but it was gone before I thought about it. Smile

March 05, 2021, 04:47 PM
GT-40DOC
One look at those beef ribs and now I am starving!!!
March 05, 2021, 05:07 PM
smschulz
quote:
Dino Ribs! They were amazing.

Jeff, how long at what temp did you smoke these?
I have some in the freezer that need this treatment.
PS, Making some short(er) ones Sous Vide right now that always come out great but I am partial to smoke and want to do them on the BGE.
They look great! Cool
March 05, 2021, 06:19 PM
mbinky
There are some talented BBQ guys on here Smile Here is my contribution to the thread.

Last weekend I decided to do a pork butt. So Friday on my way home from work I swung in the Food Lion. I usually go for a high 7lb, low 8lb, just because of the time and it’s only me and the girl. But this nice 9lb “manager’s special” was calling my name (I’m a sucker for the managers special…).

After trimming a little fat I rubbed it with my favorite concoction, Sam Jones BBQ Potion No. Swine and a little of the Oak Ridge BBW Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken rub I had left. This was at 0545. I add a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice in the pan also. Unfortunately I had some things to do and didn’t get it on the smoker until about 0745. I added some apple wood to the charcoal, although I usually use pecan. It turned out excellent with the apple I might say…

The patient…

Pre-prep…

Post-prep…

About 8 hours in. Every 2-3 hours I spritz with a mix of vinegar/apple juice.

I wrapped it around 180 at about 2100…(it was getting late). The smoker stayed between 250-275 all day but the wind was unpredictable and played hell with temps. It was a struggle.

At 2217 it hit 195 and I was like…

I let it rest for an hour where it hit 200 and then started going back down. Then I began to pull…

Nothing left but the bone…and it turned out GOOD Smile

March 05, 2021, 06:20 PM
Jeff Yarchin
250 until internal temp was 160'ish. I wrapped them and put them back on, still at 250 until internal temp was about 200 and was probe tender.

It was about 10 hours but it was cold here.
March 05, 2021, 06:39 PM
H&K-Guy
Hmmmmmmmmmm. So much BBQ. So little protection! Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Big Grin Cool Razz
March 05, 2021, 10:42 PM
Gustofer
My new Bradley P10 was delivered today. I bought it mainly for smoking sausages but figured I'd try some ribs in it for dinner.

3-2-1'd a rack of baby backs with Dizzy Dust, apple smoke, and homemade BBQ sauce. Dang if they weren't good!

March 06, 2021, 03:48 AM
HayesGreener
First, bait the trap

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
March 12, 2021, 07:21 AM
xantom
Ground my own
1lb Sirloin
1lb Short Ribs
1lb Brisket

Patties with smoked Cheddar. Would have used American but this is all I could get.

1lb homemade smoked bacon

This sauce was very good:
16 tsp or 1/3 Cup Mayo
2 tsp Ketchup
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of salt/pepper
1 Choppped pickle

First time using GrillGrates

So there was lot of firsts here for me. First time grinding meat and first time using GrillGrates. I made 4oz patties and either they were too small or I had the heat too high. The burger were a littl dry. They were really good but there is room for improvement.

March 12, 2021, 08:10 AM
SIG4EVA
That burger is insane!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
March 12, 2021, 08:17 AM
rchermanjr
I do a little of everything. Started off whole hog, moved into pork shoulders, pork hams, pork brisket...then beef brisket and beef ribs. Also done cornish hens, turkey, duck, venison sausage, venison tenderloin, bear roast, wings, stuffed mushroom caps, jalapeno poppers, etc. I want to try a meatloaf and old school hunk of bologna on smoker. I grew up with South Carolina Mustard sauce but usually do mine without sauce and then offer Carolina Gold, KC, Eastern NC as options...just smoke, meat, and rub usually.