SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plane trys to crash-land on a road and hits wires
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plane trys to crash-land on a road and hits wires Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted
Lucky pilot and passenger.

http://q13fox.com/2017/05/02/s...eo-injuries-unknown/

MUKILTEO, Wash. -- A small plane crashed on Harbour Pointe Boulevard SW east of Cyrus Way Tuesday afternoon, damaging several vehicles but causing no serious injuries, police said.

The dramatic dash-cam video above was taken by Guanting Li.

Investigators said the pilot of the Piper aircraft, a man from Oregon, took off from Everett's Paine Field just before 3:30 p.m and then began losing engine power. He told investigators he was losing too much altitude to return so he attempted to land on Harbour Point Boulevard because it was clear. The plane, however, clipped power lines and then hit a street light, rupturing a fuel cell.

No one was seriously injured, and the pilot and his passenger walked away from the accident.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy shit! Hard to believe they walked away from that.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Minus the power lines, street sign and fireball, that looked just like my crash landing (3 years ago this Saturday).

Me and my buddy walked away as well. The plane was a total loss.

Whoa... flashback

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
#2 Rule of Rotary Wing (#1 being Rotor RPMs Are Everything) Wires will kill you dead and are everywhere.

Those are some lucky folks, and kudos to the pilot for realizing a return to airport wasn't going to happen and making the best of the situation.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
#2 Rule of Rotary Wing (#1 being Rotor RPMs Are Everything) Wires will kill you dead and are everywhere.

Those are some lucky folks, and kudos to the pilot for realizing a return to airport wasn't going to happen and making the best of the situation.

My dad and my ex's dad were both private pilots.

At different time they each commented to me "any landing you can walk away from is a good landing."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
A Cherokee Six >> I used to fly one of these off a 1,400' grass strip on Shelter Island NY - they are hell for stout! Apologies for the large image but I don't know how to shrink it.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I always love all the people in cars who immediately begin bugging out as soon as something happens in front of them.

There could be someone on fire in front of them needing help and they are turning their ass around and getting out of there because that pizza is getting cold.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Wow. Very lucky indeed!
That may take a bit more than duct tape and JB weld to fix.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I always love all the people in cars who immediately begin bugging out as soon as something happens in front of them.

There could be someone on fire in front of them needing help and they are turning their ass around and getting out of there because that pizza is getting cold.
Roll Eyes

Not everybody is a first responder.

There are likely soccer moms there, maybe even with kids in the car. I don't expect the average housewife (or the average pajama boy, for that matter) to go bravely charging into the flames. Others in that car will likely be elderly, infirm, or simply not capable of doing anything useful in such an emergency.

Others are likely conditioned to sit back and "let the professionals take care of it." The media, and much of the law enforcement community (not all of them, of course) repeat the usual line that they need to sit back and let somebody else rescue them (or others).

There is also a significant human condition involved, and it's not necessarily blatant self-interest. In the footage of the Boston Marathon bombing, for example, there were roughly three groups of people in evidence. One group ran in fear. One group ran towards the sound of the bombs to render assistance. The third group sat there in shock, paralyzed into inaction. Not everybody has the mental fortitude to 'get involved' in such an emergency. For those people, it is arguably better for them to simply get out of the way so that the real responders can get to the scene.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Wow he almost stalled it, he did a fantastic job of threading through the power lines.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I saw the video the other day and thought the article incomplete. No one injured?

Whatever your beliefs, those folks have more work to do in this lifetime.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
My old coworkers said they thought he was dead as soon as they saw the fireball. I'm glad the pilot made it out ok.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
That happened not too far from where I live. Pretty amazing that everyone walked away unscathed.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
About 10 miles from me as the crow flies, and my son does the 911 thing for the center that handled it. Nothing like a plane crash to make the shift exciting.

Glad and surprised no one was hurt. That can be a very busy area with lots of traffic. Much good karma raining down in addition to an aircraft and burning fuel...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10929 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you watch closely, you'll see several people running on foot towards the crash.

Sadly, a percentage of them likely stood around with their cell phones taking video. I'm going to assume that at least a few of them helped the victims.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
He definitely hit at least one of the wires, but it looks like hitting the traffic light may have caused the most damage.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the Aviator's dictionary:
Good landing--any landing you walk away from.

Great landing--any landing resulting in being able to use the aircraft again.

It appears this was only a good landing. In all seriousness, very glad the pilot & his passenger were able to walk away, and nobody on the ground was hurt. Money can fix the rest.

Posts: 590 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Great pilot skills, amazing they walked away.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Better to be lucky than good, this pilot said.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Regale us with your harrowing tales of wading into a life or death fray sometime.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post