SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Two hurt in accidental shooting at East Tenn. church during discussion on church shootings"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Two hurt in accidental shooting at East Tenn. church during discussion on church shootings" Login/Join 
posted
I first spotted this in the WashPost, where EVERY accidental shooting is front page news. Self defense is ignored.

/rant mode off/

Still, this guy is a moron.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/...shootings/872374001/

Two hurt in accidental shooting at East Tenn. church during discussion on church shootings

Travis Dorman, USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee

Published 5:58 p.m. ET Nov. 16, 2017 | Updated 7:36 a.m. ET Nov. 18, 2017

A man accidentally shot himself and his wife at an East Tennessee church on Thursday while he was showing off his gun during a discussion on recent church shootings, police said.

Elder members of First United Methodist Church in Tellico Plains were cleaning up about 1 p.m. after enjoying a luncheon held to celebrate Thanksgiving. They began talking about guns in churches, according to Tellico Plains Police Chief Russ Parks.

A man in his 80s pulled out a .380 caliber Ruger handgun and said, "I carry my handgun everywhere," according to Parks.

He removed the magazine, cleared the chamber, and showed the gun to some of the men in the church. He put the magazine back in, apparently loaded a round in the chamber, and returned the gun to its holster, Parks said.

"Somebody else walked up and said, 'Can I see it?' " Parks said. "He pulled it back out and said, 'With this loaded indicator, I can tell that it’s not loaded.' "

He pulled the trigger.

"Evidently he just forgot that he re-chambered the weapon," Parks said.

The gun was lying on its side on a table. The bullet sliced the palm of the man's upward-facing hand, then entered the left side of his wife's abdomen and exited the right side, Parks said.

Both the husband and wife, who is also in her 80s, were flown to the University of Tennessee Medical Center with injuries that police said didn't appear to be life-threatening. Their names had not been released as of Thursday evening.

Charges will not be filed, Parks said.

Reporter Travis Dorman can be reached at 865-342-6315 or at travis.dorman@knoxnews.com. Follow him on Twitter @travdorman.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Senility and weapons don't mix.

Fuck that guy.

Hope his wife comes out of it ok, and she never lets him live it down.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never pull the...Oh never mind.

Bless his heart.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing good usually comes out of gun show and tell..

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I think he violated every single one of the basic gun safety rules.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Show and tell is not his best suite

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
...The bullet sliced the palm of the man's upward-facing hand, then entered the left side of his wife's abdomen and exited the right side...

So much for .380 being "too weak".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet he's real popular with the wife right now. If she's well enough to cook dinner for him, he'd better be wise enough to not eat it.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Lol...good luck to that guy smoothing things over with the wife. I mean how do you apologize for shooting a loved one in the stomach? A card? Flowers?

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:

Agreed.

Years ago , at a local seafood restaurant, usually a busy place , an elderly retiree detective stood up to leave with is wife, his H&K fell either out of the holster or his waistband, and discharged, grazing the legs of two patrons.

One of the patrons injured was a friend of mine, an elderly lady, whose Siberian Husky I took in when she had to go to a nursing home.

Little different than show and tell perhaps.
But , in groups, weapons are to be kept holstered.

Finally, the outcome of this incident above could have been much worse.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
"He pulled it back out and said, 'With this loaded indicator, I can tell that it’s not loaded.' "

Must have been a defective indicator.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I think he violated every single one of the basic gun safety rules.

My thoughts as well. You have to practice them EVERY time. Every person who handles the gun needs to clear it every time even if you just saw it done or just did it. I have hammered this into my boys' heads for years. It's about the only thing they do now that I tell them. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:

this

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.There is no excuse for that. Damn!

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SHM...if a cop or, soldier isn't go do a show & tell, why should you? It stays in the holster unless you're cleaning it, putting away or, gonna put a hole in somebody.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Years ago , at a local seafood restaurant, usually a busy place , an elderly retiree detective stood up to leave with is wife, his H&K fell either out of the holster or his waistband, and discharged, grazing the legs of two patrons.
I thought modern handguns were designed to not fire if they fell on the ground.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Just great. This was just down the road and I'm sure it's going to be an unwelcome talking point at some point in our UMC church. Plenty of yocals like this make the rest of us look bad. Hope they heal quickly but I am less than pleased this happened so close in a UMC.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I thought modern handguns were designed to not fire if they fell on the ground.

flashguy

The incident happened 10 years ago at least, I thought as you stated above, it was odd that since it was an H&K. Maybe the newspaper misprinted back then.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I am less than pleased this happened so close in a UMC.

Would it make you feel better if it happened at a Catholic church? Roll Eyes

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yep, to much fail with this incident, one can just shake their head.

There's about NEVER a valid reason to play show & tell in public with a loaded CC gun.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post