SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dem Mayor Bill de Blasio Wants to Raise Cigarette Prices to $13 a Pack
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dem Mayor Bill de Blasio Wants to Raise Cigarette Prices to $13 a Pack Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I remember growing up in Wisconsin. Only butter was legal in the dairy state so one of my relatives bootlegged margarine from Illinois to satisfy our needs.

Her picture may still be in the post office.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
How long before an Eric Garner problem pops up in CheeKagoo...

Lots of vans and trucks going to IN or WI for loads of smokes, to be sold on the street tax free for $7 a pack

At $13 a pack, selling single cigarettes just became profitable. That's how Gardner died
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/01/...rk-choke-hold-death/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I don't care if the City jacks up the price. I hate walking down a street in NYC trapped behind some dickwads smoking like chimneys. I might use some of the commercial suggestions in this thread.

Every trip to the City I could bring a roll-aboard full of Marlboro's and tip off a bellman at my hotel that I have smokes for sale . . . They'd be gone in minutes.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:
Honestly, I don't care if the City jacks up the price. I hate walking down a street in NYC trapped behind some dickwads smoking like chimneys. I might use some of the commercial suggestions in this thread.

Every trip to the City I could bring a roll-aboard full of Marlboro's and tip off a bellman at my hotel that I have smokes for sale . . . They'd be gone in minutes.

Ahhh, an real entrepreneur! Wink

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Let's suspend reality for a moment and pretend the mayor is honest in his statement about reducing the number of smokers. Let's also suspend the reality of the black market filling the void. He reduces the number of smokers and loses the revenue stream that they bring in through paying taxes. What does he intend to tax to make up for the lost revenue?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Yes because this has never been tried before and a black market to support demand has never been created which was never populated by the underworld's worst possible characters...

Tell us Billy-comm, how did you ever come up with such a brilliant plan?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Good. I hope he makes it all $100. They elected this asshole, I hope he taxes them all into oblivion

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Well New Yorkers, you elected this asshat, so enjoy the fruits of your efforts.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Next people will be screaming for a higher minimum wage because they can't afford to smoke and raise a family on $20/hr at McDowell's washing lettuce.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Somebody needs to 'splain to that feller how well Prohibition worked out.

Yeah,

'splain, Loosie!

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
NYC moment of relaxation: A soft drink and a cigarette.

Mmmm... TAXES!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Commies have no clue about economics. This is just another example that proves the rule.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Let's suspend reality for a moment and pretend the mayor is honest in his statement about reducing the number of smokers. Let's also suspend the reality of the black market filling the void. He reduces the number of smokers and loses the revenue stream that they bring in through paying taxes. What does he intend to tax to make up for the lost revenue?

That's always been my question to those who actually believe that higher tobacco taxes have anything to do with reducing smoking.

I also point out that the gov't would see a lot more revenue by keeping the tax at a reasonable level because, 1) smokers wouldn't have much reason to go out of their way to avoid paying it, and 2) they wouldn't be wasting resources fighting black market cigarettes.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I can see the thinking process for a boatload of people on welfare:

(English modified so that the educated can understand it.) "Well, my baby seems to be breathing a little better right now. I'll just cut back on her medication for a little while, so I can get a couple of packs to tide me over."

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Years back in NJ I remember friends paying ten and up a pack if bought in a bar or restaurant. A carton was probably close to eighty. That was back in 2002. Can't imagine what they cost now.

Both were heavy smokers. One recently died of lung cancer and the other gave it up years ago. Two packs a day was about a hundred a week. Not a cheap hobby.

This is the same guy whining about the unfair arrest of Gardner who was cited numerous times for selling untaxed cigarettes in front of stores selling the taxed version. So not only did he not do anything to remove those taxes, he now wants to raise them?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post