SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dem Mayor Bill de Blasio Wants to Raise Cigarette Prices to $13 a Pack
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dem Mayor Bill de Blasio Wants to Raise Cigarette Prices to $13 a Pack Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
Dem Mayor Bill de Blasio Wants to Raise Cigarette Prices to $13 a Pack
Justin Holcomb

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio is cracking down on cigarette smokers in New York City.

The liberal democrat is pushing to raise the minimum price for a pack of cigarettes to a record setting $13, which he says would be the nation's highest.

His overall goal is to reduce the number of smokers in the city by 160,000 people.

With help from the city council, de Blasio also wants to cut in half the number of licenses issued to retailers to sell tobacco products. Philadelphia and San Francisco have similar licensing restrictions.

In May of 2016, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced that it will regulate all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, cigars, hookah tobacco and pipe tobacco, among others. Until now, the FDA could only regulate cigarettes and smokeless tobacco.

As Democrats continue to financially outlaw tobacco products, they will continue to outlaw vast majorities of Americans.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...rices-to-13-n2315881

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
See, the Democrats really ARE pro-business!

Think of all the wonderful entrepreneurial opportunities this lunatic is creating! Cigarettes at $13/pack will make thousands of everyday guys like me into millionaires! Everybody with an ounce of ambition and a day off from work can drive out of state, buy a thousand bucks worth of cigarettes, and turn that thousand into four thousand overnight.

AND, that's not all folks! That $3K gain is entirely tax free!

Rinse and repeat.

Thousands of millionaires by the end of the year.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
As Democrats continue to financially outlaw tobacco products, they will continue to outlaw vast majorities of Americans.

And yet, if my informal “profiling” is close to being correct, I’d bet a nickel that a large percentage of smokers and other tobacco users always vote for Democrats. Of course, so do a large percentage of gun owners, so I guess there’s no room for criticism. Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Sap,
Right up to the point the mafia breaks your legs for treading on their blackmarket turf.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
Think of all the wonderful entrepreneurial opportunities this lunatic is creating! Cigarettes at $13/pack will make thousands of everyday guys like me into millionaires! Everybody with an ounce of ambition and a day off from work can drive out of state, buy a thousand bucks worth of cigarettes, and turn that thousand into four thousand overnight.

Sap,
I read this and had the same thought. Great minds must think alike...
Load up the old Tahoe, stuffed to the gills with cigarettes, and take a little road trip to see my friends in New York...
Damn. How hard could it be to unload them?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
No to mention another crippling blow to N. C.'S economy.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I wish they would raise it to $50 per pack... Then, they will lose a shitload of tax revenue. People will quit carrying packs and instead carry loose cigarettes or carry them in a custom case so that there is no packet to not have a tax stamp on.

Maybe then those micro stamping weenies can start micro stamping individual cigs...

Trying to bully a tobacco product out while the country is headed to the legalization of pot...

gotta love liberals.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Somebody needs to 'splain to that feller how well Prohibition worked out.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
de Blasio Wants to Raise Cigarette Prices to $13 a Pack

The shocking thing to me is it's not already at $13. Roll Eyes
It's half that around here.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'm all for it. Why not $20 per pack? Or $30. Then they can start some really aggressive enforcement with the proceeds for investigating black market smokes that come in from out of the city to be sold at normal non-communist prices.

Maybe, just maybe, it will be another nail in the coffin of the sheep, and they will stop electing asshats.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
In May of 2016, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced that it will regulate all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, cigars, hookah tobacco and pipe tobacco, among others. Until now, the FDA could only regulate cigarettes and smokeless tobacco.

And of course, there's this. Rule by fiat. The government seizing control of even more aspects of the economy, bereft of any legislation or public input or control.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There are already semi loads of bootleg cigarettes rolling up I-95 from down south.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Somebody needs to 'splain to that feller how well Prohibition worked out.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
more profit for the smugglers

http://www.fredericksburg.com/...75-56eee7bc1842.html

article says you can get 3000 cartons in a van

difference in VA to NY tax for a carton is $80 (now, before the increase)

3000 * 80 = $240,000 profit

Now if you have a truck, you can carry 48,000 cartons. 48,000 * 80 = $3.8 million

https://taxfoundation.org/ciga...lion-dollars-richer/

According to an agent of the Virginia State Police, this means that illegal cigarette trafficking “now [has] a higher profit margin than cocaine, heroin, marijuana, or guns.”

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
How long before an Eric Garner problem pops up in CheeKagoo...

Lots of vans and trucks going to IN or WI for loads of smokes, to be sold on the street tax free for $7 a pack

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
There are already semi loads of bootleg cigarettes rolling up I-95 from down south.

Yep, selling black market cigarettes has been big business in NY for years. I remember an article last year that stated well over half the cigarettes sold in New York are black market. Profit margins on a pack of legal cigarettes is mere cents compared to several dollars, even when sold at a discount.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It'll be great for the upstate economy with all them city folks driving up to buy their smokes at rez tobacco shops.

This guy is a fucking maroon.

And, yeah, black market smokes is a great way to make money. When I was in boot camp I had access to the PX/Shoppettes when nobody else did. I was selling cigs for a dollar apiece/$20 a pack. Copenhagen and Skoal was $20/can. I did pretty well for myself.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
This is Great for NJ, bootleggers and Onesie salesmen!
Unless they get strangled by NY's finest...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Some brands have been 13 per pack along 90, the Thruway. Yes, the Indians sell a lot of smokes up there.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Isn't this how Henry and Tommy started out?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I'm all for it. Why not $20 per pack? Or $30. Then they can start some really aggressive enforcement with the proceeds for investigating black market smokes that come in from out of the city to be sold at normal non-communist prices.

Maybe, just maybe, it will be another nail in the coffin of the sheep, and they will stop electing asshats.

Not likely. Nobody with a brain cell in their head wants the job of Mayor in NYC. Asshats are all that run.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post