SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2019 NHL Playoffs Thread
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 NHL Playoffs Thread Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Go Blues! Binnington was awesome tonight, now we just need one more win!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go Blues, Bruins are challenged 5 on 5 offensively.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
There has been some blown calls, but Boston has just not been putting up much offense. And when they have taken shots, Binnington has been fantastic.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Boston needed ref help to win? But for the missed call Boston had this one won? Pfft. Boston's studs haven't played well or put up numbers. Marchy has been a bust in this series.

Boston fans are like the US version of Habs fans.

Refs help? Usually the impact of a blown call isn’t guaranteed. This blown call resulted in the game winning goal and loss of a Bruins power play. Definitely impacted the end result. Add to that the 2 holding penalties that were obvious and it’s definitely a game decided by the refs.

I won’t argue that the Bruins could have done better. They played great for a lot of that game. But then they had so many “wtf was that” plays I was scratching my head. I’m starting to think there is something to the conspiracy theory of making these series last 7 games.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Boston needed ref help to win? But for the missed call Boston had this one won? Pfft. Boston's studs haven't played well or put up numbers. Marchy has been a bust in this series.

Refs help? Usually the impact of a blown call isn’t guaranteed. This blown call resulted in the game winning goal and loss of a Bruins power play. Definitely impacted the end result. Add to that the 2 holding penalties that were obvious and it’s definitely a game decided by the refs.

I won’t argue that the Bruins could have done better. They played great for a lot of that game. But then they had so many “wtf was that” plays I was scratching my head. I’m starting to think there is something to the conspiracy theory of making these series last 7 games.

That wasn't tripping, as defined by the language of the rules. Just because a player fell over doesn't mean it's a penalty.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That wasn't tripping, as defined by the language of the rules. Just because a player fell over doesn't mean it's a penalty.

So he just “fell over”? Oookkk. And I’m not a Boston fan.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So he just “fell over”? Oookkk. And I’m not a Boston fan.

Have you watched the video and then read the rule book? Falling over after contact is not a penalty in every situation. What happened on that play does not fit the rulebook definition that warrants a penalty.

Read the rule and watch the video. Boston fans have misplaced bitching.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m starting to think there is something to the conspiracy theory of making these series last 7 games.

I hope you're wrong about that...
The Blues would like to finish this thing in game 6 on Sunday on home ice!
We'll see.

LET'S GO BLUES!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24068 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
If Marchand tripped someone like that you they’d be calling for a slew foot suspension. It was an intentional hit to the back of his leg. Total cheap shot. How anyone can say that wasn’t a trip is beyond me.

I mean I am butt hurt over that and the holding that didn’t get called. But I will admit the Bruins have been very inconsistent. It’s a tough game and they have me confused. Sometimes I think they are awesome and others I think they must all be suffering from a stomach bug. The Blues physical game seems to affect them. I’m reminded of my son that was afraid of getting hit once he went to pee wee hockey. Just kept getting rid of the puck to avoid it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yeah...sure, Flashlightboy. Acciari just "fell over". Roll Eyes What a crock of fecal matter! If you think Acciari just fell over, maybe you need to read up on "leg whip" or "slew foot". Acciari got slew footed...plain and simple.

Now...as to whether or not the no-call was a game decider, I'm not gonna get on that wagon. But it certainly was a game CHANGER, as pointed out by frayedends. Both his posts summarizing the Bruins' play and the fact that Marchand would have been thrown under the bus with the same type play is spot on. I was actually surprised when Marchand didn't get called on the semi-low hit on Tarasenko in front of the Bruins' bench.

Simple fact is, the Bruins didn't play the 1st and 2nd periods like they played the 3rd...that's on them. But jeezus crimminey...this is THE worst officiating in the post season I believe I've ever seen. Worse than Bill Friday, for cryin' out loud! And yes...been watching/playing/officiating hockey a loooooooooong time. Was lucky to watch the famous Bobby Orr goal live on TV at a very young age.

Bruins had better find their scrotum sacks for the next two games (assuming there WILL be 2 games...).

p.s. And like frayedends, I've often wondered about the 7 game conspiracy myself. Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I did not see the tripping play and will have to go back and try to catch the highlights. I had already gone outside to do barn chores, turning the game off in disgust.

For me the bottom line is that the Bruins seem to have a complete lack of ability to clear the puck. Many times they clear it right to an opposing player, effectively passing it right to them and not allowing their defense to set up at all before the Blues are back on the attack.

Also there is a lot of similarity to what I remember seeing in 2013 when the Bruins played the Blackhawks. They were far outclassed in terms of overall puck handling and passing. The Bruins are sloppy and imprecise, and their passing often just flat out sucks- again they end up deflecting off sticks or the boards right to the other team. If you’re not scoring, you can’t win if you keep giving the puck to the other team.

I hope they are able to turn it around for game 6. Losing 3 in a row to end the season would be tough. What’s frustrating is that in the 2 wins they have looked so much better.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
^^^ Not tripped he just “fell over” all on his own. Roll Eyes

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/7lsT3usKJRg

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a penalty when I saw it live, and all the replays haven't changed my mind. However, what some people are saying is that there is leeway in the rule book.

57.1 Tripping - A player or goalkeeper shall not place the stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or elbow in such a manner that causes his opponent to trip or fall.
Accidental trips which occur simultaneously with a completed play will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.
If, in the opinion of the Referee, a player makes contact with the puck first and subsequently trips the opponent in so doing, no penalty shall be assessed.

Some people, such as those who analyze the game on tv have also suggested that when it comes to the Bruins (ie Marchand), what goes around comes around when it comes to not getting a call.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
^^^ Not tripped he just “fell over” all on his own. Roll Eyes

It may have been a trip, I'm not saying it wasn't, but it's a judgement call. He was hit, for sure, but was it an intentional trip, I don't know.

Still... the Bruins didn't get a call so they just stopped playing? Confused
It's no wonder the Blues scored.
Listen to the announcer at the end of that:

"Credit the Blues for keeping the play alive, but you can see the Bruins all just standing still... "

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24068 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Yeah...sure, Flashlightboy. Acciari just "fell over". Roll Eyes What a crock of fecal matter! If you think Acciari just fell over, maybe you need to read up on "leg whip" or "slew foot". Acciari got slew footed...plain and simple.

Look at the play in real time and then in slo-mo.

The StL player was jostling with another Bos player behind him. The StL play didn't change his stride or his focus on playing the puck. Didn't target the Bos player or do anything such as alter his stride, spread his legs to catch the Bos player. Not a single thing.

The Bos player turns his back into the StL player as the Bos player is working the puck. In real time the StL player is being pushed from behind by the other Bos player and it happens bang-bang.

This is tripping in connection with a play and is not a penalty, according to the rules.

It is not hard non-call decision. Look at the Boston players right afterward and that's the tell - not a single one complained or through their hands up in the air. When the players on the ice don't complain that is a big sign that the refs made the right decision.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
It may have been a trip, I'm not saying it wasn't, but it's a judgement call. He was hit, for sure, but was it an intentional trip, I don't know.
A trip need not be "intentional" for it to be called a trip. I called "accidental" trips all the time when wearing the whistle.
quote:
It is not hard non-call decision. Look at the Boston players right afterward and that's the tell - not a single one complained or through their hands up in the air. When the players on the ice don't complain that is a big sign that the refs made the right decision.
Uhhhh...did you NOT see Acciari's reaction?? How about Cam Neely's? Can't remember if the cameras showed the B's bench or not.

You guys must be new to the game. And I say that jokingly, so don't get your panties in a twist... Wink Hope there's at least some good play in Game 6...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
A trip need not be "intentional" for it to be called a trip. I called "accidental" trips all the time when wearing the whistle.
quote:
Uhhhh...did you NOT see Acciari's reaction?? How about Cam Neely's? Can't remember if the cameras showed the B's bench or not.

You guys must be new to the game. And I say that jokingly, so don't get your panties in a twist... Wink Hope there's at least some good play in Game 6...

As a Ducks fan I have no skin in the game except for Game 6 to be good and competitive.

I still fall back to the rule and say that it was a trip but the type that the rules specifically says is not penalized.

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Look at the play in real time and then in slo-mo.

The StL player was jostling with another Bos player behind him. The StL play didn't change his stride or his focus on playing the puck. Didn't target the Bos player or do anything such as alter his stride, spread his legs to catch the Bos player. Not a single thing.

The Bos player turns his back into the StL player as the Bos player is working the puck. In real time the StL player is being pushed from behind by the other Bos player and it happens bang-bang.

This is tripping in connection with a play and is not a penalty, according to the rules.

You’re pretty close to exactly right. Here is what slo motion video from at least two angles reveals:

1. Brandon Carlo of the Bruins was right on Bozak’s tail. Bozak reached in with his stick to knock the puck off of Acciari’s stick and DID make contact with the puck. That can be plainly seen.

2. With Carlo on him, Bozak had three choices to make in a split-second:

a. Turn slightly to his right toward Acciari and check him directly into the boards. The problem with that is that he would have hit Acciari very hard straight from behind in the numbers. Since Acciari’s body was a foot or two off the boards, a hit from Bozak would have sent him face-first into the glass or dasher—-almost a guaranteed five-minute boarding penalty, plus a game misconduct, plus a likely suspension. Not a good option.

b. Try to avoid a direct hit on Acciari by giving up a chance to play the puck and making a hard left. But you can’t make a hard left on only your left skate—-you have to dig in and push hard with your RIGHT skate. Bozak didn’t have time to both dig hard with his right skate and then lift it up in time to miss Acciari’s left leg.

c. Bozak could have just lifted up his right leg to avoid Acciari’s left leg. But then he’s on only one leg (his left) going very fast with Carlo still pushing on him, which probably would have resulted in HIM taking a hard uncontrolled fall into the boards face first.

In a split-second, Bozak skated hard with a man on him, reached in and played the puck, and unfortunately upended Acciari. Slew-foot? No kicking motion, no matter how much some people want to portray it.

Kelly Sutherland had a good look at it and made a very difficult—-but correct—-no-call.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time a team loses in hockey the other teams fans focus on a referee conspiracy that cost them the game. The simple fact was if you watch the play there was a Boston player between the referee and the tripped player so he didn’t see the leg contact and you can’t call something you don’t see.

There are so many instances in such a fast moving sport that you can’t really focus on one play. David Backes took a dive which could have changed the game. Sundquist getting suspended because a player turned 180 degrees right before he got hit totally changed the next game and I could go on.
Boston also scored a goal with too many men on the ice so it goes both ways.

Just because a call goes against you doesn’t mean the game would have always had a different outcome. Homers can only see the negative that happens to their team and it happens to both teams. It’s always if this or that didn’t happen we would have won which isn’t necessarily true.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still... the Bruins didn't get a call so they just stopped playing?

They didn't stop playing. They were down a man, Acciari was still on the ice hurt when the goal happened.

I'm surprised by the folks thinking it wasn't a penalty. I've been watching hockey a long time. Every trip, intentional or not, that interferes with play is called. I am often frustrated when I think the trip was just not intentional. It took me time to accept that it doesn't matter if it's intentional or not, they all get called. This one was ridiculous. The excuses being made with slow motion replays are ridiculous. He put his leg in the position to trip Acciari. It is Bozak's responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen. Always been that way since I've been watching.

These go to eleven.