SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying steel targets - advise please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying steel targets - advise please Login/Join 
Picture of Rustpot
posted
My friend and I are looking to possibly pick up a few small steel targets to use at the range. Shooting mostly competition practice, mostly 9mm/40/45 handguns, 22, 5.56, rifles, .308 if that's within reason for the rating of the steel.

A few auto-resetting poppers and 1-2 larger static plates is probably where we're thinking of starting. Something we can use wood with to cut some weight and bulk, able to pack it into the truck easily enough, shoit it close for pistol and far for rifle with a size to be challenging for either.

There are an absolute ton of options. As long as they're using proper steel and I stick to whatever caliber rating, is there a very big difference in quality of the steel? Is getting a plate rated for .308 overdoing it for a pistol?

The quick search I did came up with this set from MGM. At that price we'd likely get two sets.

https://mgmtargets.com/limited...3jn4aq6adki6jjl2avi1

We have a weld shop at work and I could likely get a stand made easily enough if there's a product that might be a better value that doesn't include the stand(s).

Thanks for the help

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I think that AR500 and CATI Armor, along with spartan armor have ones that stand up to 308. To be fair, its a sorta special armor plating that will, named like 3+ body armor. They are rated for some 308 rounds. No NIJ that I know of or have found gives a certain for 308 outside of 3+ and 3+ isnt rated at NIJ from what i understand., but at the same time my google fu might be weak on it.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
I think that AR500 and CATI Armor, along with spartan armor have ones that stand up to 308. To be fair, its a sorta special armor plating that will, named like 3+ body armor. They are rated for some 308 rounds. No NIJ that I know of or have found gives a certain for 308 outside of 3+ and 3+ isnt rated at NIJ from what i understand., but at the same time my google fu might be weak on it.

I was thinking more of the rating as it pertains to safe distance. Such as rifle caliber at 100 yards or more. Any closer and it starts to crater.

I'm not looking for body armor-rated targets.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I wasn't clear. I know those companies do sell targets. I would imagine if you sell the armor rated for it, your targets will. That is my fault for not being clear.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of opinions about good steel targets, but the one I’ll offer is that unless the shooters are very skilled and careful, wooden supports will require replacing very regularly. And although it may seem paradoxical, the thicker and heavier the wood, the more quickly it becomes unserviceable for the purpose. That’s why I use 1×2 strips rather than 2×2 for cardboard target backer supports. The stands I have for a dueling tree and a large silhouette have metal angled stands and they don’t suffer from misdirected hits.

In my experience MGW AR500 plates are fine for common handgun use (9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP). I have a set of eight that have been shot literally hundreds of times each (including with lead birdshot) and show no damage whatsoever. On the other hand I shot one with a 44 Magnum revolver once, and it left a small mark, so that was the end of that experiment.

I’ve seen no damage to AR550 plates with 308 Winchester from 100+ yards, but some 223/5.56 loads will leave light craters. They’re not bad enough to discontinue the practice, but I don’t use targets with any damage for close range handgun engagements.

This is an interesting rifle target. As advertised, it can be engaged from 50 yards, but the one I have has been roughened up pretty extensively from 223/5.56 ammunition. Because it’s angled, though, I’ve never experienced any splash-back. Something to be aware of, though, is that the stand is not hard steel, and it is readily damaged when hit either directly or by the splatter from the main target. That doesn’t affect its usefulness, but it is an eye-opener to inspect it after the first session.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47408 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
http://www.jcsteeltargets.com/

Take a look at JC Steel too.

I have targets from JC and MGM. My MGM 3/8" pistol silhouettes are over 15 yrs old! Can't even estimate the number of 9mm/.357 sig they have eaten. As well as a mess of 9mm/10mm subgun.

It's all about impact velocity and bullet construction.

A 1/2" AR500 plate at 200 yds can take .308 Match ammo all day long , with paint wearing off at worse. Yet shoot that same plate with a .30-.378 Wby with Barnes copper slugs , or a .220 Swift and You will get damage. The impact velocity as well as tough copper slugs are a recipe for damage.

I had a 1/2" AR500 plate at 100 yds that took all sorts of PISTOL abuse for a decade. Then a guy used a .220 Sift on it and pock marked it. Deeply penetrated it too.

For pistol one can get away with 3/8" especially if the plates are angled a bit and relatively free swinging.

For rifle 1/2" is a must. I have plates at 300+ yds that are five years old and all we do is repaint occasionally. Zero damage.

I have gone to conveyor belting to hang plates for several years now. WAY easier to deal with than chains. Someone will ALWAYS hit the chain and break it. Belting is easy to install, cut with a razor knife, use a hole punch and hammer on a block of wood to make holes, hang with cheap bolts. The belting can take hundeds of rds before it gives up the ghost.

Angling the plates a bit helps too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I shoot 3/8 inch steel with both pistols and rifles.

I have a few 1/2 inch targets - b/c I got a good deal on them - but 1/2 is overkill for the calibers you listed.

When shooting rifles, the key is to keep the targets far enough way to reduce the velocity of the round. If the speed is too high, you'll get pitting.

I have some smaller 1/4 steel that use for .22, 9mm, and 45. It works just fine but it wouldn't stand up to rifles unless I really space it out there.

I've had good luck buying quality targets from https://shootingtargets7.com/ and http://www.laststands.com/

I particularly like the stand/steel combo deal from Last Target Stand. The terrain in my area is frequently un-even and their setup is so easy it blows me away.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have a lot of opinions about good steel targets, but the one I’ll offer is that unless the shooters are very skilled and careful, wooden supports will require replacing very regularly. And although it may seem paradoxical, the thicker and heavier the wood, the more quickly it becomes unserviceable for the purpose. That’s why I use 1×2 strips rather than 2×2 for cardboard target backer supports. The stands I have for a dueling tree and a large silhouette have metal angled stands and they don’t suffer from misdirected hits.

I have boatloads of 2x4s handy. If I was using anything smaller I'd be more likely to rip it out of spare 2x4s than buy any.

And I have no trouble repairing or replacing stands as they get chewed up. We have a lot of scrap plate mild steel on hand.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, off to investigate a few of these links.

Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
I use and have been very happy with these:
https://www.sportsmansguide.co...bolt-2-x-4?a=1864908

and

https://www.sportsmansguide.co...round-base?a=1864910

Then just pick the AR 500 plates you like---

I have 6 sets and I use 2 mini 1/2 ar500 silhouettes and 4 ar500 1/2 8inch rounds. easy to transport and set up and I run everything up to 308 on them (but no steel core bullets) those do ding them up pretty good.

after that just a few 2x4s of desired height.

Bob

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have purchased several targets from this guy:
https://makeitringtargets.com
He also lists on ebay with free shipping.
The 1/2" gong and silhouette have been great with heavier calibers. The steel core 5.56 leaves a tiny pock mark in the 1/2" or the 3/8" thick targets. He will make just about any shape you want.

Posts: 83 | Location: TN | Registered: May 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I bought some targets from this guy. Prices are fair and include shipping.

https://bullseyemetals-com.mys...ollections/frontpage

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
GT Targets are excellent.
We used them for a week at MOAC and I bought myself a set of handgun rated targets for home practice.
Tell Karl you're a Sigforum member and he will be good to you.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I got mine here. Plates and chain mounting kits. Good prices and plates.

https://shootingtargets7.com

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

My pile of steel targets. Some of them have many thousands of rounds on. All AR500, 3/8 and 1/2, no difference how they hold up. Half of them are water jet cut the others plasma cut, no difference on how they hold up. Caliber rating? Not sure what that means? Shot 9MM-338 Edge on these. Velocity, not caliber damages the steel. Minimum distance I shoot rifle calibers is 200yds. Minimum distance for pistol 7yds. Max velocity from a rifle caliber 3100. About half bought from a local steel supplier, most of the rest from JC Steel. Hangers are conveyor belt. Chains are a poor choice, you will eventually hit the chain, fun over. I hang them on re-bar saw "saw horses". A few companies like JC Steel sell kits, you supply the re-bar. A friend has a few stands that use a 2x4's like the one you linked. Work OK, sometimes stand falls over... If you can drive T-Post at your range, the JC Steel T-Post brackets/targets are great. For the price of the poppers, suggest re-bar saw horse or T-post...stands instead.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to see what kind of drop and stock we have in the steel bins at work. I might be able to make the stands myself.

The 2x4 stands fall over because they're likely not staked and ringing them repeatedly gets them moving enough to tip. I can fix that with more welding.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
http://www.nevcotargets.com/main.html

Used frequently at Black Creek range for thousands of impacts each month.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post