SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody here into Watches?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody here into Watches? Login/Join 
Picture of P6shooter
posted
I've been turning my attention away from guns to collecting nice mechanical/automatic watches.

I have no problem buying what I want but does anybody have a preferred shop for repairing watches? I don't really trust a local jewelry store for regulating or repairing these pricier pieces. I also have one that has a cracked crystal and I'd like to have it replaced with a coated sapphire crystal.

Any quality shops that you can recommend? In the US Wink

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Alas, I've tried, but these Phillistines just aren't into them.... Big Grin

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...6031561/m/6290029643

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P6shooter:
I've been turning my attention away from guns to collecting nice mechanical/automatic watches.

I have no problem buying what I want but does anybody have a preferred shop for repairing watches? I don't really trust a local jewelry store for regulating or repairing these pricier pieces. I also have one that has a cracked crystal and I'd like to have it replaced with a coated sapphire crystal.

Any quality shops that you can recommend? In the US Wink

Drop a note to Dave Truong. He'll hook ya up with the right folks, if not him, himself!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: coloradohunter44,

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Breitling Seawolf myself...

Any special reason you would not send the watch to the original manufacture?

That is where I have mine worked on and could not be happier with the work.

Edit to Add

Dave Truong is also an option and well liked on this site!

Posts: 206 | Location: CT. | Registered: March 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You have been here for four and a half years, and you don't know about SIGforum's jeweler, David Truong?

David is The Man! He has handled servicing for my wife's watch and for mine.

He provides us (forum members) with outstanding service. If it's jewelry related, I wouldn't even consider going to anybody else. I think that if you took a poll, somewhere around 128% of our members would agree.

Not only jewelry, but if you need an unruly passenger handled on an airline flight, David provides that service, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It depends on the watch as to where I'd send it. I'm into vintage chronographs now, so.... it gets complicated. I really prefer the manufacturer for many high end modern watch brands. I'd obviously trust David to source a repair as well. But if you stay in it long enough, a direct watchmaker relationship probably makes sense. I feel it does for me.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Depending on the watch manufacture if David does not service it I would send it back to the manufacture.
I have had my Breitling Superocean steelfish back to Breitling for service and it came back like new with a 1 year warranty from Breitling.
What is the manufacturer of the watch you want repaired.
You can look on the Rolex forum or Watchuseek forum for more Information about watch service companies.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
I was not aware of David. I will contact him. Thanks guys. The manufacturer will only put in the original crystal. They won't replace it with sapphire so I have to go elsewhere.

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
If you like mechanical watches, you should check out WW2 naval chronometers. Hamilton Watch Co helped us beat the Japs and Krauts.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Dave Truong is trusted by 12 out of 10 SIGforum members. He is our watch man! Definitely contact him for purchases or service needs.

Be aware - some watches that have plastic crystals have different case specs than ones with sapphire crystals. Changing to a sapphire crystal may or may not be possible.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
I sent David an email at his website. Let's see how it goes. Thanks for the info..

I'm mainly into dive watches. I'm not sure what draws me to them but that's the style I like. I have a couple of Omega Seamasters an Oris, couple of Seiko Prospex and a Steinhart OVM.

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Alas, I've tried, but these Phillistines just aren't into them.... Big Grin

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...6031561/m/6290029643

There are a few around here......

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought 5 in the last two months. My wife ripped me a new one when UPS showed up with the last one,a Deep Blue Nato 300.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dog44:
I bought 5 in the last two months. My wife ripped me a new one when UPS showed up with the last one,a Deep Blue Nato 300.

A yes, Thankfully I'm divorced. After years of dating I have decided that I want to keep my money for myself and my kids... Get rid of the women and it's truly amazing to discover how much money you actually have. LOL

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P6shooter:
A yes, Thankfully I'm divorced. After years of dating I have decided that I want to keep my money for myself and my kids... Get rid of the women and it's truly amazing to discover how much money you actually have. LOL

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the nice words. Please email me atdavid@mimisjewelryinc.com and I’ll try my best to get you the help you need. I might be slow to reply due to spotty service.

Happy New Year Gents!!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dog44:

A Deep Blue Master 1000 is on my wrist as a gift to myself....my Luminix Blackout is jealous now.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post