SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Poll: Did you taxes go up or down compared to last year?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Did you taxes go up or down compared to last year? Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
Title says it all. How are you doing compared to last year? Mine went up about $400ish.

Question:
How did the amount of tax you paid change compared to the last time you filed?

Choices:
They increased. Boo.
They decreased. Yay!
About the same.
I'm a sovereign citizen and don't pay The Man's tax.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ours went down on similar income but we benefited from the increase in the stardard deduction. Last year itemization was better for us but no longer the case.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
My taxes went down because my income went down as well, but because I worked less, because I didn't want to or need to work.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My taxes went up, but you won't hear me boo. It's simply the price my family pays for not having Hillary as president. I will pay a bit more to keep more of my freedoms.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My income increased but I still pulled down a refund, though it was less than the previous year. I don’t declare zero.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Taxes down, refund down due to less witholding.

Took the standard deduction this time around.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know as I haven't done my taxes yet.

I never get a refund. My take is, why give the Governments an interest free loan.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Lost per diem deduction, tax went down a bit. All in all it was a wash.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Mine increased as a %, but mostly because I didn't have education credits and such this year. Having to pay a bit more now because the recent idiot company my wife worked for didn't manage to take out the right amount of money.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Gained in some areas, lost some deductions. All in all pretty neutral.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Refund is down ~$1k compared to last year, from over a grand to just a few hundred.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My effective tax rate went down about 1.5%. I'll take it.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
For those saying their refund was less/more, shouldn't this be a comparison of year-to-year tax percentage paid? Total paid/refund is fungible based on income level variations and withholding changes. No?

Mkay, this is usable for comparison purposes, kind of...
quote:
My effective tax rate went down about 1.5%. I'll take it.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I believe overall the new standard deduction helped me, but the bigger benefit was the change in the AMT rules - not paying that!

My effective tax rate dropped 4%.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 229DAK,

Posts: 9039 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
For me, itemizing still comes out best, but the difference is narrowing. The bastards put a cap on how much interest and local taxes you can itemize, and that combined with the decrease in withholding rates moved me from getting a few hundred back last year to having to shell out a grand this year. Methinks I'm gonna have to submit a new W4. Mad

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Refunds don’t matter for this question. Look at total federal taxes paid after refund or payment and compare that. I saved $4000. Got the full child tax credit for one kid (which I made too much for prior to Trump changes) plus the increased standard deduction. I’m pretty happy.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
The question has ZERO to do with refunds.

I'm talking about how much money you PAID to the feds.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Kidding?

When have taxes paid ever come down? I must have missed it. Especially in a blue state. It's not a matter of going up. It's only a matter of how much this year.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well since I reached the magic threshold by which the IRS mandates minimum 401k withdrawals, my taxable income and accordingly taxes both went UP. Frown

PS Didn't vote in the poll

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Kidding?

When have taxes paid ever come down? I must have missed it. Especially in a blue state. It's not a matter of going up. It's only a matter of how much this year.

You must have not done your taxes yet. Federal doesn’t matter what state you live in. As I said I saved 4K thanks to Trump.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post