SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Poll: Did you taxes go up or down compared to last year?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Did you taxes go up or down compared to last year? Login/Join 
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Income went up close to 4% over the previous year, but income tax went down about $1000 (haven't calculated the effective rate).

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I should be happy. And I am. But....

I did my first pass (will double and triple check my return before submitting). I owe double this year vs last year - thousands. That is a painful number to consider. I'll have to draw on savings.

But I did some stats like you guys did. AGI (not salary) went up 18% (bonuses and stuff). Effective rate went up 1%. So, all told, I guess not bad and I should be happy. But the check I need to write is huge for me. Will have to come out of my emergency savings (ie - if the water heater or AC/furnace breaks or something) and hope to replenish later this year. Hopefully the water heater, AC/Furnace don't break in the meantime (I'm sure it will now.....).

Hoping I missed something but that stats suggest not.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Effective rate decreased by 1.5 and amount owed dropped by $1300. Fixed income with RMD from IRA (deposited in to a savings account Smile )

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
About the same for me

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
a large part of my salary is a once a year "bonus". In reality it's just money I should get all year, but it's dispensed once a year based on performance goals, sales, etc.

Uncle Sam rapes that sucker till it's bleeding and squealing which sucks. Yeah you get it back when you do your taxes but that's a year away. it's not taxed as normal salary, but as a bonus which is way higher rate on top of skewing my earnings wildly for that pay period. As I said it all evens out at tax time but it sucks in the meantime.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Less was taken out of each check and thus I had a smaller refund.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My income is basically fixed and was about the same as last year.

My taxes (Federal and State combined) went down about $200.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
I believe overall the new standard deduction helped me, but the bigger benefit was the change in the AMT rules - not paying that!

My effective tax rate dropped 4%.

Me too.
My effective tax rate went from 20% to 14% this year. I made $30K more and paid $8K less in tax.

Happy for sure!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
About the same I suppose.
I had a huge pay increase, and received a vacation that I was 1099’d for. So hard to compare to last year. Totally different tax bracket.
That said, I would have owed even more if the Minimum Standard Deduction hadn’t been doubled.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I definitely got screwed this year.

The cap on the SALT deduction really bent me over.

The $24k standard deduction didn't help.

The 20% QBI deduction was only about 1/5th of what I lost in SALT deductions.

Fact: my effective tax rate would have been lower under the previous tax regime.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
a large part of my salary is a once a year "bonus". In reality it's just money I should get all year, but it's dispensed once a year based on performance goals, sales, etc.

Uncle Sam rapes that sucker till it's bleeding and squealing which sucks. Yeah you get it back when you do your taxes but that's a year away. it's not taxed as normal salary, but as a bonus which is way higher rate on top of skewing my earnings wildly for that pay period. As I said it all evens out at tax time but it sucks in the meantime.

If you know which week the bonuses come in, you can ramp up your witholding for that one pay cycle.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Fact: my effective tax rate would have been lower under the previous tax regime.

I suffered the same fate as you. But you forgot to point out the reason why the previous tax regime was better for you....California is fucking us over on our state taxes!!!!

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F12517:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

I suffered the same fate as you. But you forgot to point out the reason why the previous tax regime was better for you....California is fucking us over on our state taxes!!!!

You can have the same result in a lower tax state like MS (both property and income taxes). Well, not as dramatic, but same result. I expected that, but damn.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a bit lower

first time I have taken the standard deduction in forever

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Finally did the comparison and math:

Tax Rate
2017 - 17.81%
2018 - 16.61%
1.2% DECREASE

Actual Tax Paid
2017 - $10,545
2018 - $12,522*
18.74% INCREASE

* Did not itemize; took standard deduction and therefore Taxable Income was up 27.32% in 2018.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Finally did the comparison and math:

Tax Rate
2017 - 17.81%
2018 - 16.61%
1.2% DECREASE

Actual Tax Paid
2017 - $10,545
2018 - $12,522*
18.74% INCREASE

* Did not itemize; took standard deduction and therefore Taxable Income was up 27.32% in 2018.

Was this on exactly the same amount of income as what you made in 2017, or did you have a corresponding increase in income for 2018?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Would have to check gross income year over year. I stated the increase in taxable income in last the sentence in my post above. Actual taxes paid would be based on taxable income (formerly known as Adjusted Gross Income, AGI). Since previously deductible aviation expenses in 2017 are no longer deductible for 2018 (per diem, as an example), I could only use the standard deduction. Therefore, I had a higher taxable income, thus a greater tax liability.

EDIT TO ADD:
Gross income for 2018 was $6,287 greater than 2017.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: erj_pilot,

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did much better, refund higher. Just the wife and me. No mortgage deduction or itemizations and, we live in a no state tax state.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Our income virtually the same. Our refund was bigger. Very pleased. Go Trump 2020.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Income went up by 6k and paid almost 2k less taxes compared to the previous year.

My small refund was a little less then last year.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post