SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A little water well information please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little water well information please. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
Last year, I replaced the pressure switch on our water well tank.
The new switch required pressing a spring loaded lever, for about a minute, to start the pump refilling the pressure tank. That was a new one on me, and I forgot to get an explanation for this new feature from the brain trust.
The cold weather has just reminded me to ask someone to clue me in on why the need for the lever feature because using it is not working now, to start the pump refilling the tank.
The only thing we’ve done was cut the power and drain our water lines. I’m unable to physically do much right now, so any troubleshooting instructions need to be wife doable right now.
What part of the system could fail as a result of 5 days of not being used?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your type of switch has a low pressure cut out to protect the pump from low water pressure due to possible low water or a very large leak. I replaced mine with a standard switch due to the switch was 50' from the crawl space entrance.

Posts: 254 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Possible frozen line not allowing water to reach the tank?

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a deep subject...

Do you have power to the switch and going to the pump?

Are you sure the valve is open?

Just a few simple things to check, sorry I can't be of more help

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvactech:
Sounds like your type of switch has a low pressure cut out to protect the pump from low water pressure due to possible low water or a very large leak. I replaced mine with a standard switch due to the switch was 50' from the crawl space entrance.

This is correct. Low pressure cutoff. I have the same on my well. While it can be a pain it could prevent burning up the well pump. If the lever doesn't kick in the pump there is an electrical problem. All the lever does is close the contacts.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think your initial post indicates any specific problem. The purpose of the spring loaded lever is so that, if your well ran dry, the pressure would drop off to zero and then your pump would shut off rather than burning itself up continuing to run dry. Restarting it should just involve closing all faucets and any open drain valves then manually holding the lever to start it back up. You may get some kind of violent spitting at each faucet the first time you open it up after the restart while the air bleeds out.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I got good news and I got bad news.
Tried to start the pump once more and it worked!

It also revealed a crack in the valve on the discharge line. That, I can deal with. When you live in the country you keep replacement parts.

BTW, thanks for the low pressure explanation.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvactech:
Sounds like your type of switch has a low pressure cut out to protect the pump from low water pressure due to possible low water or a very large leak.I replaced mine with a standard switch due to the switch was 50' from the crawl space entrance.

This. Wasn't really aware there was another sort, actually.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
On my well after draining, relieving pressure to change parts or repair.
I have to pressurize my pressure tank before turning on the pump.
After the tank fills I'll run the water and check the cut in pressure and the cut off pressure.

Posts: 1550 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post